1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo Agrees to Buyout and is Waived by Hawks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

1. Luc didn’t play the whole Warriors series. We pushed them to 7 games.

2. Ariza was 0fer in game 7. And Ariza’s defense has been declining, that’s clear to see.

3. Melo will start but his minutes will be more bench type minutes. D’antoni and Morey will use him effectively.

4. If Chris Paul wants a player on his team, you trust his judgement.

5. Low Risk High Reward

Don’t be so surprised when it works.

2. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

I remember Melo talking about how he likes grabbing rebounds, and how it helps him stay in rhythm. I also remember he made fun of Russel about him stealing rebounds before... although he couldn't speak on how he really felt about it, I bet that he really hated it...lol...I know I would have

Hui and DonKnock like this.
  3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Chicken littles and doubters form concentric circles

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I saw someone mention on Reddit yesterday that he was spotted at Market Square Tower downtown.

5. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

Alright then, the official Melo watch has begun....report all sightings .

DonKnock likes this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

C'mon, this is ClutchFans -- nobody will be surprised when it works. They'll have known all along that this was a great move for a great player who still had great years ahead of him.

Invisible Fan, adw, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  7. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

What the hell are bench type minutes?

Tfor3 likes this.
  8. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

As long as MDA makes it so Melo and CP3 share most of their minutes together then it’ll work well.

Then when they sub off Harden will have Ego alongside him and Ennis or Tuckwagon spotting up in the corner.

H-Town Melo likes this.
  9. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

and if it doesn't they'll say they told us so and blah blah blah when in reality their negativity spoke poor results into existence.

adw and hakeem94 like this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

Potato head sittin somewhere like 'i told ya'

DonKnock and jch1911 like this.
  11. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Um... I'm not buying into the theory that ClutchFans has the ability to make Carmelo suck.

He's a good enough player to make this work, but if it doesn't it's on him, not Rockets' fans.

Reeko, Richie_Rich and Deckard like this.
  13. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Losing Ariza and adding Melo is a step backwards for Houston. Melo plays atrocious defense and his declining isolation offense sucks. Without the ball in his hands all the time, his game is crap as witnessed in OKC. He couldn't adjust his game alongside a ball dominant player in Westbrook and will be more of the same in Houston. He agrees with coming off the bench but I'm pretty sure he will be upset if he is not in the closing lineup. If he does become part of the closing lineup, defense will suffer immensely.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I think it is great for the team and all, but the dude better show up and play hard. That's all I'm saying.

topfive likes this.
  15. tc0330

tc0330 Member

there are gonna be so many Melo fans in here when it works out itll be stupid

topfive likes this.
  16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

How do waivers work? The worst team gets to grab him if they want him? But what if he doesn't want to play there? Does he have a choice?

I'm just wondering how these guys clear waivers every time.

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If a team wanted to pick him up on waivers they would also have to accept his current contract, which is why it won't happen and he will clear. Not even bad teams want to (or have the room to) pick up his huge contract. After 48 hours when he clears, he will become an unrestricted free agent. This means that he has the freedom to agree to a new contract with whatever team he chooses, while Atlanta foots the bill for his previous contract. This is why he will be able to sign for the veteran minimum with the Rockets.

You might ask why ATL would pay him not to play for them. If they kept him on the roster this year he would almost certainly leave as an unrestricted free agent next year. So instead, they acquired him from OKC along with a pick, Atlanta and OKC motive's being the future freed cap space.

#157 T for 3, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Richie_Rich, Kevooooo, Tfor3 and 2 others like this.
  18. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

We know who felt how by now. I already said I'll eat all the crow if it bombs.

tc0330 and Tfor3 like this.
  19. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Westbrook is much more difficult to play with than Harden and especially Paul.

Paul is pass first, Harden tends to make the right play tho his turnover number are a bit high for my liking.

The defense thing is overblown honestly, I know its an old narrative but most of the guys who say that don't really watch basketball enough.

Melo was part of all of OKC's most successful line ups, his on/off numbers were positive and he played his role.

The Jazz series is what sticks in people's minds, same way for you guys and the Warriors series where Ariza went 0-12, team went 0-27, LMM didn't play, etc...

Saying Melo was bad is just repeating things you've heard, reality is Morey and co. know a lot more than all of us combined.

Tfor3 and smp like this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Look at it from the point of view of the contract (rather than the player): The full contract is on waivers. Each team can claim the full contract. (Worst team gets it, if multiple teams want it.)

When no one wants to assume the contract, the contract "clears" waivers and terminates under pre-arranged buyout conditions (if they exist). At that point, the player is no longer under contract, and becomes a UFA.

Kevooooo and DonKnock like this.