1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ChenZhen, Mar 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

HP,

By Overloading i mean....

For the example imagine a team playing a 2-1-2 zone . The perimeter positions are point(at the top), wing (at the 45) and base (outside the three point near the baseline).

If for example you have Steve at the point, Cat on the right wing and Shandon at the right Base position and Cat has the ball.

The baseline player in the 2-1-2 will hedge towards Shandon, one of the top players will guard cat and the other will have an eye on guarding Steve. So that leaves the centre and the weakside foward. Know if Mo hits the strong side high post and Dream hits the strong side low post, then we have completely overloaded the strong side and the defense has two choice either theyleave someone open on the perimeter or what are they forced to do.........

If the centre guards dream and the weakside foward comes across the guard Mo at the high post, what defense are they now playing......TADD DAAAA , they are now playing man and no longer in their 2-1-2 and more importantly have to make large adjustments to get back into a staructured 2-1-2.

Hope that clears things up and i hope i made sense, now tear it to shreads.

Smeg

PS we do quite a bit of zone work here with our juniors cause when our quality teams go over to the eastern states for Tournaments they see alot of zone and no one plays much zone here in adelaide, and so we have to do lots of training/breakdown work.

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

2. SmeggySmeg

match up zones can be great as they sort of a combo, but for the offense it is much simpler, treat them as man and cut alot, as cutting through forces the defenders to passes the offensive player off to another defender or follow them and then the zone loses all it's shape.

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

3. SmeggySmeg

No spectators Jam, join in ya slacker

------------------

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Major disadvantages of playing a zone for us
    is this FORCES our Guards to rotate back

to stop the transistion
    Which means less offensive rebounds

while teams will run and gun
    our guards cannot run because they
    have to rebound

Rocket River

------------------

5. SmeggySmeg

don't i get a reply HP

------------------

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yes, you do...

As you have explained it, overloading the strong side is basically supposed to compress the zone vertically to the baseline...no?

It is far easier to compress (flatten) the zone horizontally to the baseline. You do that with a spread out perimeter game. Your game of overloadeing on one side leaves too many defenders in close proximity to too many offensive players.

Have you seen any teams do what you say? I'm suspect because the defense has a 7-8 foot wingspan per player...this is not soccer or ultimate frisbee that has a huge field.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The problem with allowing ANY DEFENSE
    is that basketball will resemble Soccer
    or hockey . . . You will not be able to
    really recognize plays developing

Maybe it will be more athletic
    but it may become more unrecognizable
    will look like 5 on 5 Free for all

[think about HotBall where it's football
    but you throw the ball in the air and
    run for the touchdown AGAINST EVERYONE]