1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

I agree. This whole contract thing is not just about what Capela means to the team now but the market for him in a few years if they think about trading him.

They are already in an unfavorable contract with Anderson as the market completely dried up for him. Imagine signing Capela for 4 years/$100 mill and in 2 years we have an opportunity to trade for a superstar but nobody wants to spend $25 mill on a center anymore.

Overpaying only works if you definitely know you will be keeping that player for the duration of the contract. Otherwise, you are stuck

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Offensively I believe he could but he'd be a hot mess defensively … Just too slow footed to switch onto guards. He'd get torched routinely.

I'm beginning to think that the ideal backup 5 isn't a 5 at all but an athletic 4. The game has just passed by those lumbering giants.

3. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

So you think players should take less money from
    Billionaire owners because he should be able to
    enjoy 60 mill lmao. Get what you can Caplea. We are in cal hell for years anyway

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Overpaying also only makes sense when you can genuinely see real upside, along with a desire to push yourself to be the best you can be on both ends of the court. Otherwise, you are stuck.

5. hakeemthagreat

All the critique you gave was on offense. You didn't mention anything on defense. Capela's defense has become ELITE after watching the playoffs. Let's not forget, Gobert was supposed to be the upcoming NBA bigman. Capela DESTROYED him. Do not take Capela for granted. Not only has he improved skillwise, but his conditioning has become the best among NBA centers. NOBODY outworks Capela. That plays into our system and is one of the main reasons we won 65 games.

6. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

You are 100% correct.

GSW uses Green as a 5
    Hou used Tucker

I can't think of another team that switches everything on Defense.

Chuck Hayes played before his time. He would get payed well at the 5 in today's NBA. He good against post players.

Pat and Aruba77 like this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Who cares?

The Rockets would have won the championship if Chris Paul remained healthy. Many teams will be adopting this strategy here shortly.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Chuck would be awesome in today's nba. Could guard 3 positions in the front court.

9. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

a) Are you saying who cares cause your pro Rockets?
    or
    b) Who cares about Capela being able to switch?

I understand a. B is a different discussion.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he was that great how come he couldnt defend against GSW? I'm definitely a big fan of Capela but if you make the max you should be capable of being the key difference maker vs GSW.

Winning 65 games are great and thats why Capela is set to make 15-20M but if he is gonna make 25M we should be paying him to beat GSW.

basketballholic likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

It depends if Chuck was motivated and worked hard on his conditioning instead of being out of shape and relying on his athleticism. He could be anywhere from bust to Draymon Green, we've seen lots of modern "Chucks" like Hayes, Beasely and Derrick Favors.

12. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

Really? Using what metric? Capela averaged 27.5 minutes per game last season... there were 26 Centers that averaged more MPG. His +/- was great at +380, but I'd hardly call him the "best conditioned among NBA Centers". I'd think that a guy that averaged only 2.5 fouls per game with a +/- that high would play a whole lot more if he were capable.

dlite316, D-rock and basketballholic like this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

I don't need metrics, I WATCHED the season last year, especially the playoffs. Did you? Did you Capela in the Utah series? Did you watch the Minnesota series?

14. hakeemthagreat

Lol. Did you watch the series? Because GS plays super small with virtually 5 guards & no center. They also switch everything taking away our pick & roll. Am I the only the one who pays attention to these things?

15. basketballholic

Did you watch Capela against the Warriors?

That's the series that counts.

16. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

I did - all but a handful of games. If you WATCHED the season last year, you'd notice that Capela averaged 27.5 minutes per game... what part of that indicates he has elite conditioning? His playing time, on average, was fairly consistent across both wins and losses; that indicates to me that the score didn't matter. He was on a clock with a finite usage for the most part. In the regular season, he played more than 30 minutes 25 times (he fouled out once in those games and had 4 fouls or less in 19 of them), and never more than 35 minutes. As I mentioned previously, almost every other center in the league played more minutes per game than he did. No emotion. No pushing an agenda. Just data.

I like Capela. I hope we retain Capela. I hope Capela continues to improve. Not because he's a World beater with elite conditioning (whatever you think that means) and on my favorite team, but because he's the best player the Rockets can get with the money they have and he mostly fits well with what they want to do defensively.

Your new argument, which has nothing to do with conditioning, is kind of silly. Capela had a couple of games that were spectacular in second series, and frankly, a couple of games that were anything but spectacular against Minnesota and Golden State. I guess you didn't reference the GSW series because the data doesn't align with your agenda?

noppeper likes this.
  17. esketit

esketit Member

is it possible that teams are apprehensive to offer big money to capela bc he plays with two all time great guards?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

We did...we were up 3-2 until the refs robbed us on national tv. Everyone knows this.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Capela and Green canceled each other out.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BINGO

Rocket River