1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. PatBev

PatBev Member

Nah he'll be good by playoffs

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

It’s not about Capela feeling insulted as I’m sure he couldn’t care less of your opinion of him. it’s just ridiculous that some people will curse at this man for just trying to get the most money... like every single person here hopes to get paid as much as they can.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

in nba2k

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Signing him for 25 million hurts us in the long run. We can get under he cap in a few years
    Whats the point of building a team that can't win the championship? Locking him into a long term high money contract hinders all of our flexibility for Harden's prime. It just doesn't make sense to me. The warriors smash everyone playing ZaZa and Javale Mcgee and Random second round picks.

Plus the series in the first two rounds weren't even close. Harden and CP3 woulda beat Utah and Minnesota regardless of who was playing Center.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just doing it for fun:

- Atlanta: 90% they'll draft a center with their pick or the Mavs pick
    - Boston: won't have interest/room
    - Brooklyn: they have Jarrett Allen and they'll go after stars
    - Charlotte: no cap space and they might actually go into a full rebuild
    - Chicago: they have a center
    - Cleveland: they might have cap space, still don't see why they would max a role player when they will be in full rebuild
    - Detroit: they have a center
    - Indiana: they have a center, two actually
    - Miami: no room
    - Milwaukee: no room
    - New York: they'll likely have room but will also likely go after Irving
    - Orlando: they have a center
    - Phila: they have a center
    - Toronto: no room
    - Dallas: they'll have room and they'll have to decide if it's better to resign DeAndre for less or to max Capela
    - Denver: they have a center
    - Golden State: no room (unless Capela signs for the MLE... :D)
    - Clippers: they'll have a lot of cap space, not sure the logo is going to max Capela even as a plan B, i think he's too smart for that, but who knows, he might be ok with that
    - Lakers: i just don't see it, they'll have cap space but i don't see them throw big money to Capela, star or bust
    - Memphis: they have a center/no room
    - Minnesota: they have a center
    - New Orleans: they'll have cap space but also two big holes in the back court, Davis likely playing the center a lot of minutes...not see a fit here
    - OKC: they have a center
    - Phoenix: they have a center
    - Portland: they have a center
    - Sacramento: they have a center, maybe two...but with the Kings you never know, i can actually see them throwing a max to Capela and let Cauley-Stein go
    - San Antonio: they'll have cap space and the need of a center so, unless they go for a rebuild i can see them go after Capela, not sure if they'll offer a max though, i don't think so
    - Utah: they have a center

I think all things considered, as today, i can realistically think about Dallas, San Antonio and maybe Sacramento, Clippers and New York as teams that might have serious interest in throwing a max or something close to it to Capela, but:

- San Antonio might be a rebuilding team or still think Capela is not worth a max, they're not dumb
    - Clippers same thing as the Spurs
    - New York will go after a star, they might actually get that and have no room to max Capela unless they literally dump all the bad contracts they have and play in 5
    - Sacramento might end up being fine with Cauley or Giles especially if they can keep Cauley for cheap

I think Dallas will absolutely jump on Capela though, just too perfect of a fit there with Dirk, Doncic, Smith etc...unless DeAndre will be way more cheaper or Boogie will play well this season.

I might very well be off here and there, but i don't think it's a given Clint gets a max next summer.

#185 Vivi, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  6. csc177

csc177 Member

How are the Warriors able to pay all of their players? And they have more stars than we do? I don't get it. Losing Clint, along with Ariza and Luc is just awful management. You can kiss the run it back mantra out the window - its more like hope to get back in the playoffs

(I hope I'm overreacting here)

slothy420 likes this.
  7. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

We are not getting under the cap anytime soon even if we sign Capela at a discount of 15 million

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's not about the cap. It's about the Tillman paying tax.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

A meeting in the middle at $20 million is still probably an overpay but not unreasonable. Capela would be crazy not to take 17-18per honestly. But 25million is just unrealistic. I don’t blame him for asking for it, but not getting it and being mad would be stupid and disappointing. I also expect Morey to move up his offer.

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

4/60 wouldnt be crazy cheap if he wasnt playing with CP3 and Harden

without those two he is worth about that much, maybe a bit more

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

The should continue to rise, Gordon and Anderson are off the books in 2 years. Stretch or trade CP3 when he gets old. We can easily be under the cap. We only have 5 guys under contract right now.

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I really can’t imagine our front office going more than 4yr/70mil, this summer I would guess that’s their ceiling. I can see Capela’s floor being 4yr/80mil. This is definitely going to be a problem. It’s only $10 mil but we’re talking ones max and the others min.

13. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

That sounds like the owners problem not clint's

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

They’re all underpaid or on the old cap structure max. Ryan Anderson makes more than anybody on that team not named curry or Durant and Durant takes pay cuts every season.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) They've lucked into a situation where they haven't had to pay anyone with cap space since Durant.
    2) They've benefited from guys taking less than market deals repeatedly. Livingston, Looney, Zaza, etc. guys didn't even test the market
    3) Igoudala DID force a big payday by negotiating with the Rockets
    4) They are the champs and the runaway favorites to be the champs every year they have their core intact. Guys will play there for the minimum before they'll play anywhere else for that price.
    5) The bill will finally come due when the contracts on Green and Klay come up, although there is already talk that Klay may take less than market value.

Also, the benefit of drafting your own players/role players vs needing to hunt for bargains every year.

csc177 and YOLO like this.
  16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

“We’ll have him here as long as he’ll have us,” Morey said. “He couldn’t price himself out.”

“The only way [to overcome the Warriors] is to develop near-elite two-way players,” Morey said. “I think Clint has that potential. He’s on the way. He took a big step forward last year. It’s a lot to put on one guy, but we need one more step, at least.”

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Everyone better start having staycations at The Post Oak hotel and overdosing on Shrimp / Steak (Landry’s). Gamble your 401k and kids college tuitions at the Golden Nugget.

Anything for Tillman.

18. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Then you should be just as mad at CP3 for wanting more than he's worth. How dare all of these NBA players try to get as much money as possible rather than what they're "worth"!

sjackson0 likes this.
  19. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

This dude is delusional. Good move by Morey to wait and see if anyone will come even remotely close to an offer of what he wants. IMO he is not worth that much and the teams over paying for big men in todays market are just plain stupid.

20. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

Harden and CP3 will make 90 million dollars together and that doesn't even include Capela or any other contracts. We are not stretching CP3 lmao
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/2021/