1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistically:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the OlajuWons, Apr 10, 2001.

1. There is no way we are gonna have stars at every position, lets forget trading Kenny Thomas and CUttino....

If we can dump our garbage off (walt, cato, bullard) then lets do it, but GOD people, let Hakeem come back for less , if he is willing, Dont trade our future, our bright spot, our backcourt duo of Cuttino and Francis, we have the money right now to sign a really good free agent, or a couple good free agents.

I dont care what people are saying or printing, We have just as good a chance of landing Webber as anyone, he has family here, he loves Francis and MObley, and the nightlife here is just as good as any cities.

If that really matters.

I just think the chance to play with Hakeem and Francis would be enough, (plus a coachable coach like RUdy) would bring anybody here, afterall we have won 2 Championships.

Kenny fits really well with this team, lets keep Kenny, oh and LOs, he is a good , capable backup for Olajuwon, I know he has more offensive prowess then 2 hands jams, like Cato's only offense.

He can give Rasheed and Juwon Howard fits, like he did..

come on , lets add to this team, not tear it down looking for that one KObe Bryant

------------------
    got milf?

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think the chances of getting Webber are better than most say they are and I think the odds of a Shandon Anderson-Houston Rockets marriage lasting beyond this season are not as good as some may think.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Reading between the lines, I think Clutch's response is based on more Intelligence (borrowing from Heypartner's vocabulary) than the rest of us have.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we should focus on WEBBER
    then
    Focus on Shareef if Webber is a no go
    THen
    Look to CUT fat .
    [See CATO and Walt]

If we can do 2 of these things
    I'm all good ESP THE CATO THING

Rocket River

------------------

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's just too bad we couldn't have gotten rid of Cato this season, especially if it were for a player with 1 yr left and would be a FA this summer. Then, we could take care of everything...re-sign Dream, Mo, Mooch, Los/bull, and still have money for Webber. I did not mention Shandon b/c if he is a FA it is b/c of his own choice, so it is likely he wouldn't sign back with us.

But, we did not rid of Cato, so we must make some tough decisions like re-signing Mo or not and re-signing Dream or not. It will be a busy summer for CD and gang.

------------------

6. Band Geek Mobster

I'm so torn on the Webber thing. Part of me wants to believe, but then the other part of me doesn't want to be letdown BIG TIME.

I do believe Shandon will leave us after this season. Our defense sucks with or without him, we need a real small forward.

------------------
    Thoughts?

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

BULLARD is NOT garbage!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    "Chucky who?" Charles Barkley

[This message has been edited by Drewdog (edited April 10, 2001).]

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I go back and forth on this issue a bit.

I think Chris Webber's most unguarded moment came with Craig Sager (off-camera) when he talked about playing in a big Western Conference city next year. Since then, though, he's been rightfully mum.

I know Oeilpere and others have posted on the unlikelihood of Webber coming here (even quotes from Rockets players), but isn't that exactly what you're supposed to do in that situation?

"Hey, Steve, is Webber coming here?"

"No way, I just don't see it."

Deny, deny, deny.

Don't hurt Mo's feelings any more than you must. Don't create a buzz that would make the league offices suspicious. And so on.

Hopefully he'll come here. Hopefully we'll sign him straight up and trade Cato, Walt, Los, maybe Shandon and picks to teams for a star 3 or a high draft pick (and take Battier). But any way we can get him, I hope we get him.

I'm glad the signing period changed (or did it?) to July 15 so that I'll be geeked out for two weeks less than normal, waiting to see what happens.

------------------

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I wouldn't necessarily be "let down" if we did not get Webber. We will in all likelyhood still have a very nice offseason and get closer, if not back to, contention. 3 1st rounders sounds awfully nice to me, with such a deep draft. And we now have 3 target SFs to draft: Battier(unlikely), Jefferson and Morris(both more likely).

------------------

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

DieHard Rocket,
    About the not dumping Cato thing...

We can harbor a small hope that Cato was not dealt in February but that an offseason deal was arranged at that time...when Cato's BYC status will magically, wonderfully, go away...

Even if we don't get Webber, losing Cato would be beyond great. I would take as Houston's center (over Cato), say, Chip and Dale holding up a totem pole and running back and forth on the court. That's about all the hustle and fire and dexterity that Cato shows anyway.

------------------

11. unt2003

unt2003 Member

the #1 priority of this off-season for the the rockets is to build on what they did this season and look at some glaring holes on this team. the first being rebounding.. If we get webber, that would be solved however it would be nice to get a Antonio Davis-type player. The secound hole on this team is a defender who can stop the Karl Malone, Shaq's player. If we get these two holes sealed up, the rockets would definitely be a top 4 seed in the NBA.

------------------

12. If Shandon leaves, we need another 6'6 , 6'7 sf who can slash and run the floor, to compliment the fast break, I think if we Dont get Webber, we can still get a Antonio Davis, or I dunno, draft a C and resign Dream and Mo Taylor, maybe trade for a Paul Pierce, now this would be who I would want, if the Webber signing couldnt happen, or even better yet, Raef Lafrentz would be another option.

But I think we can get us a good quality big man in this league this summer,

------------------
    got milf?