1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Podcast Recommendation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BeardedWonder, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I tend to gravitate towards baseball Podcasts Effectively Wild, Astros, and MLB Show being the main ones. I've listened to Welcome to Nightvale (sp?) in the past about a weird town that could use a Slayer like Buffy told from the point of view of the local radio station.

moonsh0t likes this.
  2. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Drink Champs --- Hip Hop Related
    True Crime All the Time--- self explanatory
    Unsolved True Crime All the Time---same as above except they examine unsolved cases
    The Rewatchables--- They talk about movies that they and probably you have watched a dozen times

3. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Anything by Dan Carlin. He did a 5 part series on WWI (Blueprint for Armageddon) which is nothing short of fantastic.

Nook, vinsensual and moonsh0t like this.
  4. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

General:

The Adam Carolla Show (daily M-F)- idk what I'd do without this podcast. Classic layout with a guest, news, sports, movie reviews, and just talk about current events and stuff.

Stuff You Should Know (twice weekly)- also very good. More on the educational side but very laid back. It's basically like reading the wiki page for whatever subject they're covering, but in audio form.

Freakonomics- These are usually very good but it seems like they've been lacking a little on their subject material lately. I guess it's a little hit or miss for me.

Radiolab- Sometimes great, sometimes meh. Educational/documentary/science...a little more in-depth than Stuff You Should Know.

Football season:

Fantasy Footballers
    The Ringer NFL Show

NBA season:

The Ringer NBA Show
    The Lowe Post
    The Bill Simmons Podcast

BigShasta likes this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Can't believe no one's mentioned Maron's WTF. I also like Radiolab, Freakonomics, and Stuff You Should Know.

Will try to check out some of the others listed here.

6. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Effectively Wild is my favorite podcast.

Others I enjoy (with general discussion topic):
    • Open Floor (NBA)
    • Breakaway - Episode on D'Antoni is great(NBA)
    • Fangraphs Baseball (MLB)
    • Baseballholics Anonymous (MLB)
    • Executive Access (MLB)
    • This week in baseball history (MLB)
    • Yahoo Sports MLB Podcast
    • Morning Lineup (MLB)
    • The Sleeper and the Bust (Fantasy baseball)
    • The Higherside Chats (Conspiracy)
    • Mysterious Universe (Topics vary, generally unexplained phenomenon)
    • Astonishing Legends (Older episodes are better, unexplained, paranormal sometimes)

Then the usual suspects most people are probably subscribed to: TED Radio Hour, Radiolab, Serial, etc.

7. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

32 Fans - Small low budget podcast. Two Orthodox Jewish guys talk about football and pop culture.

F This Movie - Movie review podcast. They usually talk about an older movie plus stuff they've seen lately.

OSW Review - Three Irish guys review one old wrestling ppv per episode. They also have a YouTube channel.

Also more popular ones You Must Remember This, SYSK, Stuff you Missed in History Class, Effectively Wild, Dunc'd On.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I just started The Habitat on Gimlet.

It's about the NASA experiment on 6 people living together in a pod for a year simulating a Mar expedition.

Radiolab is always a winner too.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Not sure how well known it is, but I've just started listening to Dirty Sports and it's hilarious.

10. malakas

malakas Member

SI fired Sharp and now the Open Floor's fate is up in the air.

I am very sad.

The best nba podcast is gone. Impossible to find another with such perfect chemistry and entertainment.
    I have tried almost everything that is out there but there wasn't anything even remotely close. :(

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

cocaine and rhinestones - kind of a podcast version of tales from the tourbus. scandals and outrageous stories in country music. listened to one about the judds a couple days ago and its the best one ive heard yet. i had no idea what a terrible mother naomi was!

the night owl - podcast about haunted locations in austin and central texas. check it out if you like ghost stories or austin history. spiderhouse, clay pit, haunted tattoo shop.

behind the bastards - 3 parter on alex jones and 2 parter on steven segal are both comedy gold.

i listen to joe rogan if he is interviewing someone im interested in. he did a three hour interview with david lee roth a few months ago and it was pretty mindblowing and exhausting. it left me convinced that diamond dave is a genius. dude is a total egomaniac, but his mind works at a higher level than the average human. any musician should listen, just for the insight he has on music and being in a band.

London'sBurning, body slam and BigM like this.
  12. body slam

body slam Member

American Scandal
    Stuff You Should Know
    Stuff They Don't Want You to Know
    Thinking Side Ways - unsolved mysteries

BigShasta likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One my daughter got me hooked on... Crime Junkies. She is even has a patreon account and ordered a t-shirt and sweatshirt.

BigShasta and K mf G like this.
  14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

A few good really binge-worthy podcasts are Serial, S Town, and Gladiator.

Collin McHugh has a good podcast called The Twelve Six if you are an Astros fan. Doesn't put out a lot of content during season though.

Ringer NFL Podcast
    Bill Simmons occasionally
    Dave Ramsey Show (personal finance)

I can't really get into Joe Rogan though I respect his willingness to interview anyone. He annoys me with always trying to sound like he's cool/buddies with the guest or something. Also talks like a stereotypical stoner to me, it's like he's a little too laid back.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. Homey the Clown

Hotboxin' with Mike Tyson

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

The Knuckleheads Podcast with Q-Rich and Darius Miles...love listening to them talk about stories with current and former players...I feel like u hear things from players u really won’t here anywhere else when they go on there

they just had Gilbert Arenas on there, and it was very entertaining

they’ve had Metta World Peace, Kobe, JR Smith, and many more as guests

I used to listen to The No Chill Podcast a lot too just for stories like this one

I haven’t listened to it much in the past few months tho because I think the co-host is incredibly bland, and Gilbert says some dumb sh*t at times because he doesn’t really pay attention to the current NBA...when he’s talking about things that happened during his career it’s great tho...the times that Nick Young was on there were hilarious

#36 Reeko, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I recently started Anthropocene Reviewed. The host John Green, author of the book The Fault in our Stars, reviews two random subjects (Taco Bell breakfast menu, Air Conditioning, Chemo, etc.) and gives them a 'rating' - it's more about the background than the actual rating of it.

Comes out once a month, so it's not very time intensive. I find it quite interesting.

One show he reviewed the kauaʻi ʻōʻō, an extinct bird. Even though I knew the outcome of it, the ending was sad
    essentially there was 1 left, someone recorded it calling for a mate and played it. The bird flew back because it probably hadn't heard another one sing in many years

18. body slam

body slam Member

American Scandal - Hare Krishna Murders episodes have been really good

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In aspects though Rogan is good with what you said in letting people talk. Interjecting with certain guests only when needed. He has to change depending on if it someone like Elon Musk and someone he is hanging out getting high with etc

20. body slam

body slam Member

In the Dark season 2 - it reminds me of Serial. I skipped season one because the season two preview seemed more interesting.

Cocaine and Rhinestones - I binged this one