1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for the old timers here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pandaemonaeon, May 22, 2018.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Funny how both Barkley and Shaq were victims of the Rockets heart stopping games in the 90s. Now they are "analyzing" how the Rockets won't beat the Warriors.

Invisible Fan, heypartner and vince like this.
  2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This was more nerve wracking, because my nerves ain't what they used to be. Damn near had a panic attack in the final minutes. I kept thinking the Warriors would go on another crazy hot streak and put the game away, but they didn't. And when I realized, "Holy s***, we can pull this out," I started to bounce around and freak out and pray for things I shouldn't.

You know whose nerves mattered? Chris Paul's. If that guy hadn't been on the floor, we might well have lost. I'll even forgive him that missed free throw.

Rocket River likes this.
  3. Milosch

Milosch Member

I didn't even watch because I knew I would get too agitated ;)

4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Yes, yes it was.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Alright... this bugs me... but why are we called Old Timers...? When I think Rockets Old Timers... I think the people that were around when Rudy Tomjanovich was a player.

Deckard likes this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If you were 30 - 35 in 1995 you would be considered a senior by AARP, so calling you old timers wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

7. xaos

xaos Member

It was so tense even OJ Simpson slowed his car down to listen to the game haha

heypartner and lnchan like this.
  8. lnchan

I was 11 :p

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

being around for the original championships makes you an old timer now? ****.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I was 12 in 94 but those games were crazy. I think it helped that every time I saw Dream fade away i knew it was going in. Kinda felt the same way about Horry too.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you were 30-35 in 1995, you are an old fart, which I am. :D

And yes, I was there when The Punch happened to Rudy T.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. The same chump that said in his column (paraphrasing here) that we had no chance in 1986 in the WC Finals, the same series we're playing now, against the defending champion Showtime Lakers, a team, along with the Celtics, that would have both made chopped liver of the "Golden Boys" of Oakland, in my humble opinion. I've never forgiven Fran Blindbury for his utter lack of faith in the team he was covering. Our team. So no surprise that he had a severe lack of faith later.

Sure. As bad as it is now, it was far worse back then. There's a difference, though. No matter how bad it got in both championship series, and it got damned bad, we had a player we never lost faith in. I didn't, and I'm sure most of those who were ardent fans of the Rockets back then didn't either. We had Hakeem. We had the best player in the league, as far as many of us were concerned. We had a supremely talented genius on the court, a ballet dancer who could kill you, and who hasn't been equaled before or since. We don't have that player now and how I wish we did. Our best today, and the best of Golden State, are not his equal. No matter the odds, I always felt that we had a chance to win because we had Olajuwon.

The best of this team has a hell of a lot left to prove. We'll all be watching to see if Harden, and his sidekick, Chris Paul, can lift up the rest of the team and carry them into the Finals. It's all even, we have home court, and there are no excuses. Dream will be watching.

Easy, Invisible Fan and Patience like this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yes, the ole' school clutch city days were absolutely gut wrenching, vomit inducing moments of euphoria.

Also, i've never gotten more enjoyment from watching a big man play than the Dream in his prime during that stretch. It was a thing to see. He literally redefined the position.

Deckard likes this.
  14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I had to "box score watch" the 4th quarter of the game on Yahoo! . I felt like just me watching was jinxing the Rockets. I flipped to the live game only a few times very briefly when I saw we got back in it. But, I flipped back out when I saw Golden State score. lol. Then, I got really scared at the end because the f-ing Yahoo! box score showed 95-95 at the end of regulation. That meant we were going to OT. Then, I look at the Game Stream section and it says we won. Yahoo!'s box score really dropped the ball last night. It's like they really wanted to count Curry's 3 pointer at the end even though it didn't go in. FU, Yahoo!.

Then, I flipped back over to the game on DirecTV, rewound, and watched most of the 4th until the end. lol

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

You know what was really nerve wracking? NBC splitting coverage of game 5 versus the Knicks (in the smaller screen) with OJ's white Bronco "being chased" down an LA freeway. That's real pain.

Easy, Rocket River, Milosch and 5 others like this.
  16. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

The 94 and 95 playoffs were both soul crushing and jubilant. The Phoenix series in 94 gave birth to Clutch City, and the player mostly responsible is Mad Max Vernon Maxwell. He would not let the Rockets lose Game 3 in Phoenix. In my opinion, Maxwell is largely responsible for the birth of Clutch City. After the Suns we crushed Utah then had the epic series vs Knicks. Down in that series and came back to win. 95 was even more crazy, Down in series to Utah, Phoenix come back wins. Win first 2 in SA, then lose 2 at home. What a rollercoaster those two years were, and how incredibly glorious and fun they were. I hope we win it all again this year so all the new Rocket fans can experience that feeling. Last nights win at GS was very Clutch City-ish.

17. lnchan

If you need to watch the OJ game without the OJ...

[​IMG]

Patience and dje243 like this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's been forever since I popped in that DVD, but didn't it basically show the game without any commentary by Marv Albert and Matt Goukas during a lengthy stretch of the 2nd half?

19. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Yes. That PHX series, playing the Admiral when he got the MVP, the Sonics series we lost in Game 7 overtime the year before we won it all. That game had all the feels.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All I know is that I cried like a baby during the first title, did when the Astros won last year too, my two boys were like....why are you crying......because of 45+ years of pain.....all released at once...

DD

Surfguy likes this.