1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for the old timers here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pandaemonaeon, May 22, 2018.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

Game #1 vs Orlando was this crazy. So many times I thought the Rockets were done and somehow hit the shot to send it to overtime. They were behind, then took the lead, then lost the lead. Then should have lost the game but Nick Anderson missed 2 free throws. Then he got the rebound and fouled again only to miss 2 more free throws. Then we pulled it out in overtime

Once we stole Game #1 and took their hearts out, we all knew we were taking that series.

#81 jayfree, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. SORF

SORF Member

Yes and Shaq was more obnoxious then, compared to today...so was Barkley. Barkley was so sure they would win, he went golfing instead of practice.

Sadly, the only difference then was Kenny Smith had faith in the Rockets abilities to win.:(

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

In my opinion it’s never been this nerve wracking. We’ve never been this good and we’ve never played an opponent this worthy. The Lakers weren’t this scary, they weren’t nearly as deep.

Edit: I’m referring to teams since this site got started, but I don’t think we’ve ever faced a team this good. Both chip teams might have been better, but we have depth those chip teams didn’t have. We never needed Pete Chillibowlcutt or Chucky Brown back in the day. Our opposition never sported 5 hall of gamers. Our toughest opponent ever was the Celtics in the finals. Hakeem was stupid good, but their 6-8 HOFers were impossible.

#83 don grahamleone, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    ApacheWarrior and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

So on point, we were leaping and screaming throughout the house. As a result, I can't watch the games anymore. I tape them and watch only if we win. I just can't take it live, because I'm going off on the TV... The ups and downs, swings, and curves are killers, literally heart attack time. I will watch game 5 all the way through.

BOTTOM LINE THIS IS A SPECIAL TEAM, BECAUSE WE WOULD'VE LOST A GAME LIKE THIS BEFORE 93 - 95!

jevjnd likes this.
  5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Clutch City 2 were in seven elimination games, any of which obviously would TKO their chances for a repeat. It was just unbelievable.

AuburnRocket and jevjnd like this.
  6. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

That wasn't one of our championship runs. Unfortunately, we lost that series on a Stockton 3 over chuckles Barkley.

Invisible Fan and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Yeah. I think that we were down by like 20 that game when Smith took over from 3 while Clyde and Dream got us buckets when we needed them. I specifically remember an Horry block on Scott after the Anderson free throws. I loved the small world song playing during the introductions for Orlando in Houston.

jayfree and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lol I always remembered that “Small World” intro music and when players fouled out. “hit the road jack” (crowd would say Shaq )

We should play Culture Club - Karma Chamelon for the Warriors intro. Def something I see Bay Area ppl listening to.

Or the Full House intro!

ApacheWarrior, daywalker02 and jevjnd like this.
  9. jayfree

jayfree Member

Or everytime Curry does a shimmy
    [​IMG]

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

86 team that got to the finals by beating showtime Lakers was the closest I can think of to beating a team no one gave them a chance to beat. Lakers had won the title 3 of previous 5 years and looked to be on their way to a classic showdown with one of the best Celtics teams of all time. Boston only lost 1 home game the entire season and that was somehow to the Clippers who were one of the worst teams in the league that year.

In 95 winning game 5 in Utah and game 7 in Phoenix after being down double digits at the half is something we might not ever experience again. I want to think we played a saturday/sunday back to back in games 3 and 4 in Houston and we split them and went back to Phoenix in big trouble. We hear Clyde has the flu prior to game 5 and he tried to play but you know he was sick as a dog because he could barely move out there and he was always a player who played the game so smooth you knew he wasn't right. They pulled it out in overtime and came home and smashed the Suns in game 6 in Houston before that epic comeback in game 7 on the road.

The 94 run was weird we pretty much coasted against Portland we were ready for Phoenix but blew 20pt leads in the first two games at home and were getting smashed at the half in game 3 until Maxwell went nuts in the second half and changed the whole series.

It was expected back then that most playoff games would be close and team defenses tried to get the ball out of the superstars hands so people always wanted to guess what role player would step up and hit a big shot to help his team win.

Deckard and Rocket_ph like this.
  11. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Agree ! "There were doubters all along the way...never underestimate the heart of a Champion"...talk about stressful !!!

Rocket River likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah. I seem to remember the Rockets being up big in both games 1 & 2 in Phoenix. Something like 18 or 20 plus
    points that the Suns stormed back and won. Games 1 & 2 were demoralizing. It was tough watching Dan Majarle,
    Chuck and Kevin Johnson yoking it up on the court before the game was over; but great to see them frustrated
    and throwing mouthpieces in games 5,6 and elimination game 7 on their own court.

Keep in mind, to those not around, that was not the only nail biting series. Plenty of tough series vs Utah, Seattle,
    Blazers, Spurs, Knicks among others in the 90’s.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yes. Championship playoff basketball is mostly like that. That's why it's so satisfying to win.

14. izeroi

izeroi Member

Yes!

Gets worse in the finals.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes it was amazingly nerve wracking and not just one game but several games. If you have a few hours to kill you can check out some of the complete games online and see for yourself.

I forgot Pete Chilcutt started Game 7

Deckard and RasaqBoi like this.
  16. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I wanna say the 3 to tie and send to OT was also his 7th 3 of the game which was a record. The Clyde took over in OT on offense and dream on defense with a huge put back/tip in.

Correct me if I'm wrong I am going straight recall from my 9 year old (at the time) brain lol

harold bingo likes this.
  17. Milosch

Milosch Member

For me, this is more nerve-wracking than the Clutch City days. I don't think we ever saw a team like GS in 94-95. I just hope Curry goes Nick the Brick on Thursday.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah. That’s every Houston sports team, ever. We never dominate even when we win championships.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was a student at UT living in Breckenridge dorm when the Rockets played the Suns in Phoenix in Game 3 in 1994 WCSF. They were down 0-2. I was talking trash to a Suns fan. Luckily they pulled it out.

Vernon Maxwell had to have an epic second half. When the game was over I was the only one in the lounge watching. (this is before cable in all the rooms). No one was a Rockets fan till after Clutch City

Deckard likes this.
  20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

To be accurate, the 1986 Celtics lost to Portland at home, not the Clippers. But you're right that they were 40-1 at the Garden. That team was ridiculous. Twice the Rockets made it to the Finals in the 80's as a major underdog and both times they lost to the Celtics in 6 games.

Maybe third time will be the charm for this franchise if they beat the Warriors and get to the Finals. Exorcise those leprechaun demons.