1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Win or Lose...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4lf, May 14, 2018.

1. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

We still have to wake up in the morning to work at McDonalds.
    Please enjoy the game responsibly.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

3. GMNot

GMNot Member

I'll apologize right now to let folks know that I'm posting as a Rockets fan since 1980 and an on and off poster here for many years... until I lost interest a couple of year ago. Then I lost much of my vision. Due to my poor eyesight I just find it too cumbersome to do much on the computer. Still, because this is quite a momentous season, I wanted to post at least once. The apology is mainly to folks here to understand that I probably won't check back to engage in any back and forth that my comments might generate. My eyesight just is too annoying and makes computer stuff like work. But, I wanted to be a part of the circle of fans for this playoff ride – the WCF specifically..

It also explains why I just picked the first benign, general thread to post in. :)

When the playoffs began a friend of my that I don't see very often asked if I thought the Rockets would win it all this season. I told him I'd give them a 50/50 chance. The reasons I for that are several.

The Rockets have set records for 3-pointers the last couple of seasons. But they achieved that more through volume. They just plain take more 3-point attempts than any other team in the league. Any fan that watched them this season knows that they can run hot and cold. They do have off nights from 3-point land.

Despite the expectation from most people that this could be a high scoring series, I actually think the key to the series is defense -- on both sides.

Because they play different styles of offense, we'll have to see whether or not one style is more easily defensed than the other. And match-ups do play a significant role in that regard.

As many have surmised, what happens with Clint Capela will be much more important than anyone would have imagined at the start of the season. If the Warriors can find a way to get him out of position just enough, on defense, to affect his rim protection, it will affect the Rockets on both ends of the court.

The key to the Rockets having a good chance in this series is defense. They have to limit turnovers and out-rebound the Warriors on the defensive end. If the Warriors get clean, good looks at 3-point shots, and if they are shooting well, it will most likely spell difficulties for the Rockets.

I think the Rockets have an equal amount of talent overall. But I would still give the Warriors an edge in having played “their” way, as opposed to the Rockets playing “their” way. And as noted, it id definitely two differing styles. The Warriors have been to the top of the mountain with their style and roster. And no matter which “system” wins this series, it won’t definitively answer the question of style over style because in the end it depends on the talent available to play out that style. The Rockets have a good collection of players for their style and likewise the Warriors have a good collection of players for their style.

So it is easier to defend against more ball and player movement, or against 2 good iso type players, such as Paul and Harden? This is what we will begin to find out tonight in Game 1. That too, is somewhat dependent on the abilities afforded by the rosters.

The Rockets can switch quite successively against most teams but KD will likely present a problems for the switching everything philosophy.

One thing that irritated me was that after game 5 of the Warrios/ New Orleans series, David Aldridge goaded Dramond Green in his post game interview saying, “The Rockets say they are built to beat you guys. What do you say about that?” (paraphrase) I don’t think anyone in the Rockets organization said that specifically, but he knew that Green has a volatile personality and Aldridge typifies the media reputation for loving sparks and controversy. That Q and A, in itself was him trying to provide the first bulletin board material for the series.

I think if the Rockets lose either of the first 2 home games they will likely lose the series. The Rockets have been an amazing team this year and it's hard to bet against them. But the Warriors are superior to any other team the Rockets are likely to face in the playoffs. If the Rockets do succeed in making it to the Finals, I think they will actually have an easier time with Cleveland than with Boston. I don’t see either of the Eastern Conference teams beating he Warriors if they win the West.

My 2 cents. GO ROCKETS!!!

tmoney1101 and Patience like this.