1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peter King on Houston's IAH airport

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drapg, Dec 22, 2003.

1. drapg

drapg Member

An excerpt from his weekly "Monday Morning Quarterback" column.

This was under the "Aggravating/Enjoyable Travel Note of the Week" segment.

Last Tuesday I made a one-day trip to Houston to do a story for Inside the NFL on a pro draft choice-turned-astronaut -- it will air Jan. 28 -- and I just want to warn all you going to this fine city for the Super Bowl next month: Put your walking shoes on at George Bush International (formerly Intercontinental) Airport. Slightly late for my return flight to Newark, I made the walk, and briskly, from the Continental ticket counter deep into Gate E territory. It took 16 minutes. I am not a slow walker. I must've walked a little more than a mile.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You know, it's been a while since I've timed myself at the mile, but if he's not a slow walker and it took him 16 minutes, then he's a slow walker.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yes Terminal E is really out there. They had a good idea to make the pedestrian skywalk from the ticketing area over to E, but too bad they made it ONE WAY ONLY. STOOPID.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I haven't been there in a long time...I travel mostly out of Hobby to save cash...I didn't even know there was an E...The last time I was there, they just put the D (Intl. Terminal)...

The air traffic and car traffic are going to be terrible...

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was thinking about this quote last night...has this guy ever been to Atlanta?? or Dallas??

I know the Atlanta airport really well, and I've never seen any airport that rivaled its stretch of terminals...very long walkways. Nice airport...but when you fly into a major airport, don't you pretty much know you're in for a hike??

The only major airport I've found to not be that way was Logan in Boston..but it's so badly in need of renovation, it looks like it hasn't been improved since the mid-70's.

6. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

Have you ever seen a picture of Peter King? I doubt that he does anything quickly.
    [​IMG]

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

DFW is a freaking nightmare. Not only is it long, there is a strong possibility that your connecting flight is at a different terminal.... have to take the tram.... confusing as hell.....

If it took King 16 minutes to walk to terminal E, he is a slow walker.

8. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Hell, the int'l Airport at Detroit (don't know the name) is over two miles long, trying to walk from one terminal to another...this isn't exclusive to Houston...

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

King only noticed it because, with the increased security, the little Chinese man who pulls the rickshaw that usually carries King between gates was pulled out of line for an intense security inspection.

10. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

That little Chinese man was probaly on the IR for a broken back for lifting his fat a$$.

11. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

You don't have to walk much because of the underground train. I've never had a long walk in that airport, except when we get off it and go to the farthest gate from there. It's still not bad, although the international gate is pretty far out there and out of date.

I still love that airport; it is (was) a fun place to just walk around all day.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I heard somewhere that the airport in Houston is bigger than Rhode Island. Don't know if it's true or not, but that's just what I heard.

13. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

I think you're talking about the new Northwest terminal at Detroit Metro. There is a monorail that runs from one end to the other, if you ever find yourself going from one end to the other there again.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i like the atlanta airport...but when i flew to boston this summer, i had to connect out of there...landed at one end of the same terminal and my connecting flight was on the other end. quite a walk.

i'm not criticizing atlanta's airport...just saying that big airports, as most big cities have, necessitate long walks.

15. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I do hope you are joking.

No I'm serious. That's not even funny.

I don't know where airport came into your conversation, but Houston itself is larger than RI.

Still man....:p

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think my mom told me that once, after she had a long walk through the airport.

;)

17. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

P. King is fat and needs the exercise.

Welcome to Phat city!

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

If more people would walk, less people would be fat...