1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Officail] Angels @ 2017 World Champion Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Lousy ending to what was an abysmal offensive game. Oh well, no way we get shut out again tomorrow right? I really don't want to see Jake or Gattis in the line up again.

roxallways likes this.
  2. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Yuli could have reached his right hand around and been safe. Anyway, in close games, having trash in the lineup seems to hurt so bad. Correa didn't come through in a key AB but he's overall been great in the early going. Gattis, Jake, Marwin, etc should have an extremely short leash.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Oh. Tracker made it seem like they were both safe... And another porch was thrown then he was out.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They were ruled safe initially, it was overturned upon review.

Uprising likes this.
  5. Amshirvani

They challenged it

Uprising likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Didn't realize this guy was an SPX alumni until SPX posted on their FB page today. It was a bold prediction as they said "Justin Anderson makes his MLB debut tonight". I was assuming he was starting, but I guess their FB writer had great foresight.

He went to elementary and high school with my best friend's daughters.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Besides Correa, how are those trash ABs when the pitcher was painting corners ?

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Honestly, I feel like Correa and Altuve could eat a ton and take a big turd and it would be a better hitter than Gattis and Marisnick at this point.

9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The back of the lineup is straight garbage other than McCann. Gattis has no value imo at this point. He's never been a good enough DH. The team is still off to a solid start but has wasted a lot of great pitching so far. It's baseball and will probably eventually even out. Just frustrating atm.

mick fry, pw1993 and everyday eddie like this.
  10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah -- that may be the rare situation where making the 3rd out at 3rd was actually the proper play. Chance to get the tying run in scoring position, and a batter behind in the count to a a nasty closer who had just re-found his command. A realistic hope at that point was probably a bloop single.

11. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Logged on hoping to see a roster move was made, but no luck. Bottom of the order is hot garbage.

jim1961 and everyday eddie like this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm hoping they make a move Thursday during the off day. Bye bye Fisher

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  13. pw1993

pw1993 Member

He has a weird way of upping his game when he plays the Astros.

14. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

The Astros are 1st in their division and on pace to win 100 games. It is officially time to panic.

15. Amshirvani

I think my only real concern (and yes it’s very early in the season, so maybe/hopefully this is just a knee jerk reaction with no basis in reality/data) is the sharp regression of the role players. The stars will hit and maintain their stride as usual, but Marwin/Jake/Gattis/Fisher etc are leaving gaping holes in the lineup becoming reminiscent of the all or nothing offense from a few years ago with Rasmus and co. Which to me isn’t sustainable in the post season. The strikeouts do seem to be improving though. I just hate seeing gems from the starting pitchers go to waste. My buddy suggested that Cora may have had a large role in the improvement of some of the role players last year and they could be feeling his void now

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point, I don't expect DH Gattis or Marisnick/Fisher to be any good. I would consider it fortuitous is they do start producing.

LF and DH are the 2 easiest positions in baseball to address. If they don't hit, and Tucker struggles, and Marwin continues to struggle, they will address it externally. There's zero chance Luhnow allows this team to go past the trade deadline with 2 dead spots in the order.

Marteen likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While Marwin and Gattis are playing poorly, it so far appears only as a normal bad spell for them that just coincides with the beginning of the season. Gattis had 3 months this bad or worse last season. Marwin had one last season, but 3 the year before that. Sure it could be the end and they suck all the time here on out, but more likely than not, they will return to their normal selves. In Gattis's case, his normal self does not hit well enough to be an average DH, but shouldn't be worthless either.

Fisher and Jake are huge holes and I don't see them coming out of it soon.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Most inaccurate and misused word in the Astros forum these days. Its become synonymous with the word change.

Tomstro likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hear a clock rapidly ticking down that when it goes to zero will require a change as early losses are mounting up while the Astros are only on pace to win 100. I don't see how people could think that sounds like panic.

20. Buck Turgidson