1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New User Registration Disabled

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by codell, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

[fox venting]

I like that idea, unless someone has a bonafied trade rumor, (hey noobs, this won't be you) that they did NOT read on ESPN (trust me if it was on ESPN, someone has posted it, I promise) then it shouldn't be posted. Just because Real GM said
    "Trade Accepted"
    doesn't mean anybody else gives a crappola.

[/fox venting]

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

I like Jeff ideas combined with Mulder.

I would hate to miss out on the legit trade rumors, like the one that came up on Boston radio. The key is, one that is heard from a major media outlet, and not another fan board or a RealGM trade accepted combination.

Regardless, the GARM has essentially been poisoned with all the trade threads like Jeff said, especially after losses. 99% of them make no sense and would never happen, so I dont really see the need for them to clutter up the GARM.

3. CRC

CRC Member

It looks like a lot of people want to talk about trades these days & it would be impossible to completely eliminate trade talks. So how about a sticky thread about trades & having everyone post whatever trade ideas in that thread? So admins/mods can either lock/delete/merge any trade threads into that sticky so we don't have more than one trade threads?

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I like this idea. One of the reasons I only check the GARM forum once a day is because of the lack of good material in there. Thank you, Clutch!

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I guess I'm one of the few who feels kinda meh about this. Unless you are really going to start cleaning house and ban people left and right, I don't really see the point of stopping new registration. We have enough people already so that the board will be littered with trash posts regardless. There has always been trash threads, but the percentages are more up since there are more people now. All the "big" boards I frequent have that problem.

I guess I just miss the fact that we may lose out on good new posters is all.

I'm not really sure how many options you have with the board software, but something like making new users have to actively log in and view the board for a month or so before being able to post, or limiting the number of posts per day for new users for a specified time period would make more sense for limiting new user input but not taking away potential gems.

Of course, if you are planning a mass ban with little leeway for trash threads/posts, then yeah, I spose no new users would guard against the possibility of biuids.

and if you want to get rid of the trade proposals, a seperate forum is really the ideal way to go imo. You could specify that the GARM is only for talk about "legit trade rumors" or some other nonsuch.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

There isn't anything that would allow an automatic change from just being able to view to being able to post. It would be tough to accomplish that without automation.

As for trade threads, I didn't at all mean to include rumors. Those seem to be a different thing altogether. I just mean the "How about we trade X for Y?" threads. Personally, I don't favor giving trade threads their own forum. I personally just favor ditching them altogether, at least for a while until the forum is more manageable.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

gah that sucks. I just remember the mods talking about all the cool feature of the new board when it first came out and figured mebbe something like that was in there. Plus I've seen other boards that do similar things. I guess I'd be in favor of opening up the board for public view(when the server constraints allow it), but no new users. Sucks to be them.

As for trade threads, I didn't at all mean to include rumors. Those seem to be a different thing altogether. I just mean the "How about we trade X for Y?" threads. Personally, I don't favor giving trade threads their own forum. I personally just favor ditching them altogether, at least for a while until the forum is more manageable.

Si, si. I'm down with that. A temporary ban on all trade proposals wouldn't be that bad. Personally I think some of them are interesting and wouldn't want to lose those permenantly, but a vast majority are foolish and a waste of time. What really gets my goat is ANY time there is ANY tidbit about another team, people jump up to make proposals with the other team, regardless of whether it makes sense or if possible trades with the team been rehashed ad nauseum. Layden being fired for example.

8. codell

Exactly.

David Stern could take a crap and people would be trying to trade Moochie for his underwear.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

TRADE ACCEPTED

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Houston trades: PG Moochie Norris (2.5 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.7 apg in 13.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: Dirty underwear
    Change in team outlook: +20.0 ppg, +10.0 rpg, and +5.0 apg.

NBA commissioner trades: Dirty underwear
    NBA commissioner receives: PG Moochie Norris (2.5 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.7 apg in 26 games)
    Change in team outlook: Much worse.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Moochie being total crap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the crap given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. joelsmith

joelsmith Contributing Member

newbie, first time poster...
    i have really enjoyed and learned a lot from many posters on this forum. that said-- i was cutting down on my *readinga* as the serious haters and trolls seamed to multiply. Clutch, I think you made a good move. -- i'll now go silently back to viewing the good posts on this forum.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I guess me and the other newbies got aboard just in time

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This is a good idea Clutch, and thanks for taking action.

This gives us all a chance to see the real posters, to make the GARM more withstandable. I love this website.

14. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

Damn....I should have registered more IDs. Sell them for $50 each.:mad:

15. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Okay, my last post before my surgery later this morning, but from the way this sounds, it should work.

But I only have one question. The negativity only seems to come from the main Rockets forum.

None of the other, save maybe the NBA, have negativity.

Now I don't know much about vB in the first place, but would it not be easier if restrictions were placed on that forum only?

For instance, if it's possible, why not just disallow posting privileges for 'young' posters, but allow them to view it anyway. If that's the case, then the current idea that the trade bashing and whatnot should slowly dissipate in this situation as well.

I'm not saying that bad things happen in those other forums, but why not just put heavy 'laws' on the most-visited forum?

16. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

As i know, VB doesn't have this type of function.

17. codell

Im going to start calling you Bania. Youve been riding my coattails all day. :)

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

ima's huge, codie!! He's HUGE!!

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Drat. Who is my Anti-n00b Delta Task Force supposed to harass now? I guess I could always unleash my unstoppable one-man army against trolls...

TO ALL TROLLS: "You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow! You... shall... not... pass!!"

Seriously, though, I applaud this move, Clutch. Way to "take back the streets."

I still stand by the notion that you should impose martial law and lay a few public smackdowns (and bannings) to enforce your will for all to see. Negative reinforcement should whip posters into shape quickly (be it n00bs or Senior Members). A sticky thread with clear guidelines and consequences would also help tremendously (not that you don't know this already...).

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think outright suppressing (as opposed to discouraging) trade threads is a good idea. I know they are kneejerk and ridiculous, but I think it is going too far into censorship to be good for the BBS community (**** free expression; I don't care about that and the argument doesn't travel far here anyway). I think it would dampen participation in general to have such a taboo subject and depress discussion of other subjects, even those wholly unrelated to trades, because of the atmosphere it would create.

Besides that, those trade threads are mostly annoying and bad because of the execution, not the subject. They are commonly kneejerk, pessimistic, unrealistic and spiteful. But, the subject of trades in a discussion of an NBA team is a valid one: it is something that can happen, often does happen, and oftentimes should happen. I don't see a reason to suppress a trade thread that is soberly considered, realistic, and potentially wise.