1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New User Registration Disabled

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by codell, Dec 22, 2003.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Clutch's announcement

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/announcement.php?s=&forumid=9

So should we call this the "Holden Rule"??

I know this must have been a hard decision for Clutch. However, I think its a great idea. It seems that alot of abrasive posters have no fear of being able to get back on the BBS after one of their accounts is being banned. Hopefully, this will be a wake up call for those in the GARM and other forums who can't act their age.

Thanks Clutch for doing your best to make sure this site is still enjoyable for us to read and interact with. :)

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

all right! Being elitist RULES! :D

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just wanted to start a thread to hear everyone's thoughts on Clutch's move to close down new registrations.

I think I had suggested doing something like this a while back -- not that I'm trying to take credit for it. It makes sense given the issues with capacity the site has had, and the fact that the community is already quite mature and doesn't much need additional growth. I would be worried about stagnation if this was a long-term policy. I'd think it'd be wise to have a referral policy -- you can register if a current poster (in good standing) will give you a stamp of approval.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

IMO, this is a great idea. It puts teeth into being banned because you can't get back in.

It is a great solution for right now considering the diminished quality of posting lately.

5. JuanValdez

Man, that was weird. I started a new topic and ended up third in my own thread. Even the title is the same. Is Clutch that quick in merging threads or did the computer somehow automatically merge them?

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I just saw that. I think it's a good idea just to keep members from creating secondary screennames and trolling with them. I think there's been a lot of that happening lately.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The Sons of Sam Horn, the premier Red Sox BBS, has not allowed new users to post in over 2 years unless they have referrals.:( ;)

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I actually did that. I kept your title because it was more descirptive, but you were moved down the list because the time of your post was later than the other two if only by a small amount of time.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That's an interesting concept. Open up the board to be viewed by anyone but disable registrations. In some ways, it's the best of both worlds - kicked posters can't come back but they can't complain about not being able to see the board.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Thats weird. That announcement was two days old and no one said a thing about it. Now JV and I both start a thread about it within seconds of each other.

11. ima_drummer2k

Thats weird. That announcement was two days old and no one said a thing about it. Now JV and codell both start a thread about it within seconds of each other.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Man, I knew I should have brought Foreigner's "Complete Greatest Hits" with me to work today!!:eek: :eek:

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Maybe new users can e-mail Clutch to try to get in? I, for one, was not referred to this site by anyone...I came across it by searching for draft profiles the year we drafted Collier, I believe. Turns out I did kind of know one person, but I wouldn't have known it if it weren't for hours of posting and reading(Which today's new users cannot do).

I am glad we can finally rid ourselves of the multiple accounts, though.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hilarious. :D

15. JuanValdez

Then, how would we keep people like you out? :p :D

Seriously, I think the registration essentially is an email to Clutch. IIRC, Clutch manually approves all the registrations on the BBS.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just to clarify, Holden didn't have anything to do with this decision. The rule was in place and announcement up before I saw his second account. This was in the works for a while.

I don't like the idea of brand new people who have done nothing wrong not being able to see the board, but the real benefit to me is to let the thousands that are here and are posting know that this isn't a sounding off board where you can create as many accounts as you want, then re-post your player-hating rants.

I don't know if the BBS URL has been taped to every 6th grader's locker in the greater Houston area, but the junior high mentality running around the forum has to end (and will end). If someone hates a player or can't handle their play, that's fine. But they better keep it reasonably civil and make intelligent points (and adding as many :mad: :mad: :mad: as they can at the end of their posts isn't helping). If it whittles down to **** yous and vicious debates about China's civil rights record, then the problem posters are just going to disappear.

I've thought about eventually opening the board for viewing to non-registered users and also re-opening public registration a few months down the road, but I think the referral idea you guys presented is a very good one. I may go with that.

I'm not talking to anyone in particular (and certainly not the posters in this thread), but pretty soon the "newbie" will be extinct (or atleast an endangered species) and there will be no one to blame for lower quality of the forum but ourselves. Sorry, but that's the truth. Lurking then posting to complain about how great it was a year or two ago (which it's funny because a year or two ago there were people complaining about how great it was a year or two before that) is just lame. Those people aren't adding anything. If you want a better forum then do something about it. Watch posters like Deuce, thacabbage and MManal -- they don't waste people's time and make damn good posts.

I realize a lot of people on the outside will think this is more of a club or elitist forum, and they're welcome to think that, but the bar is much higher here (or should be) than at any other hoops forum.

OK, my rant is over.

Clutch

PS. Before I die, I leave you with the most important piece of knowledge that I've learned: For the love of all that is holy, use the "Report This Post To A Moderator" function when there are problems.

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

:D

Wasn't sure about Clutch manually approving all registrations, though that would explain his almost immediate awareness of multiple user accounts.

That's what I was thinking. It's great that we can rid ourselves of the jokers who seek to piss off the board and come back with a new alias, but I would hate to see potentially good posters turned away.

18. ima_drummer2k

Guilty as charged. My New Years resolution is to ignore lame threads and posts and to not let them keep me from posting more serious posts in the GARM.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

19. CRC

CRC Member

hehe... then you are not helping the cause too -- constantly jumping on my posts with one liners "weired" without any constructive feedbacks is also lame. ;)

I like the move to disable the registration for a while, props to Clutch -- certainly will cut down redundant/low quality newbie threads. Oldies will also be more likely keep their temper under control.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

How about an additional ban on all trade-related threads. It's like the GARM has become nothing but "How about we trade...". And, I'm not advocating we create a forum for them. I'm saying they should simply be eliminated from the entire discussion for a while. It's one thing to mention a possible trade in a thread. It's another to open up the GARM forum and find the first SEVEN non-sticky threads have the word "trade" in them.