1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni: Our defense is so good now that we're slacking on offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

Its going to be even worse against Toronto, their length and quickness frustrates the Rockets the most imo.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's really difficult to do when you're on the 2nd night of a B2B on the road, against 2 athletic teams fighting for their lives. Pace is a product of energy, and energy is hard to maintain on a consistent basis at the end of a long season. I think we'll see this team hit another gear once the playoffs have started.

D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Bucks are 15th in the NBA in defensive rating.

Reeko likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"Talk to D'Antoni."

-Bzdelik

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Credit to Jeff Biglydick!

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I’d rather have it this way then missing 40 3s in a game and not getting stopped. The rockets have been able to beat a lot of these teams even though they aren’t shooting great through the D.

kjayp likes this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hate the milking of time the do with about 3-5 minutes left and a double digit lead. They literally just give possessions away with shot clock violations and turnovers by dribbling the air out of the ball at the top.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think fatigue was a big factor in that. The Rockets were uncharacteristically lazy and tentative late in the 4th on offense. They had to be exhausted at that point.

D-rock likes this.
  9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

A lot of that has to do with Kidd being coach. They had a bad defense under Kidd even though they have very good defensive talent.

Since Kidd got fired their defense has been really sound and their length is a problem.

3rd in Defensive rating in fact since he coaching change and that’s without a good center to anchor a defense.

The biggest weakness is the 5 for them. If they had grabbed a Deandre Jordan they would be amazing defensively.

10. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Who cares, they are probably exhausted and winning still....

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Interesting, thanks.

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I hear ya, but you have to minimize the number of possessions for the opponent. In years past it was maddening, but this year it seems that the team is able to hit some big shots late in the shot clock. They've been closing out games. Something I can't recall happening at such a high rate for a very long time.

13. pippsux

pippsux Member

Totally agree, what happened to all that jive about less back to backs and no 3 games in 4nights???

14. pippsux

pippsux Member

He knows it's about habits and he wants it as much as the players do. It's called passion and realizing this opportunity this year.

D-rock likes this.
  15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Better script than the Godfather 3

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Oh i agree, but that doesn’t change the fact that it was what worked.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Mike, Dan, and Tony are right... championship teams are usually top 10 ranked in both categories and lately our offense has been dropping. I'm glad he is challenging the team.

D-rock likes this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

gee Mike, Dan and Tony didn't have an issue with NON EXISTENT defense when his offense was pumping... Pushing for #1 offense - and rest be damned....
    But a little dip in his offensive stats due to STAND OUT defense - and he's trippin...
    It's called priorities - and Mike, Dan and Tony have no grasp of the concept... just score, score, score - so he can be credited as an offensive genius... smh....
    and no, I dont think MDA is the guy pushing the defensive agenda... but kudos to whoever is behind the focus! Morey/Biglydick?

19. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

I mean we are a bit upset at the games being so close.. really?? Other then the nuggets game all games have been by double digits.. and most the games got closer in the last 2-3 minutes when rockets got complacent.. Lets also analyze the competition, most teams we played were either elite at our home court, or a western conference playoff team on the road... We played Nuggets, thunder, Jazz and Clippers on the road who are all fighting for their survival... Yet even with all our complacency and all the best effort of the opposing team, we are disposing them so easily.. This is one thing that personally makes me feel good.. all these talking heads talk about Warriors having a whole new gear.. I think the rockets have a whole new gear on them that they haven't quite throttled as well

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets have been playing and beating playoff teams during this win streak, especially since All Star break.

They have been thru a gauntlet of good teams, and counting.

kjayp and FLASH21 like this.