1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many of you were this old the last time we won the title?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Mar 4, 2018.

1. dshay7

dshay7 Member

I have watched every NBA finals since 1986, when the Rockets lost to the Celtics. I was 11 years old.

Went to the 1989 NBA All-Star Game in the Houston Astrodome at age 14, and I was the envy of all my classmates.

Went through High School watching the Bulls win and the Rockets fall just short, and I was the butt of all my classmates jokes.

Watched the Rockets win it all in 1994 at age 19, and I'm not joking when I say that was one of the greatest years of my life.
    Unless you lived it, and went through all of the frustration and heartache of Houston Sports, you can not imagine the sweet redemption and vindication that 94 title brought with it. I literally started crying when the buzzer sounded.

Watched them win it all again in 1995 as a 20 year old, with my girlfriend and my family. The first title was the sweetest, the second title was the most fun.

I'll be watching them win it again this summer as a 43 year old father of 3, with my children cheering them on.

Bleeding Rockets Red forever......

Clutch, Ramo$e, hvic and 3 others like this.
  2. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I lived in Orlando and didn’t care about basketball until I moved to Houston in ‘99.

I remember my parents having people over for the finals and everyone being sad as hell.

3. payaso

payaso Member

I was waiting on the birth of my (now) pre-med firstborn in '95; her mama was up here in Austin. That drive home through the West Loop area was the coolest gridlock love fest I'll ever see.

4. SORF

SORF Member

I was a few weeks shy of 40 yrs. old.

I remember having a fandom conversation in Denver (attending a convention) the following year (1995) with a Knick's fan. I was walking down the center of downtown in a pair of jeans with a 1994 Rockets Championship T-Shirt on when a Knicks fan sitting in an outside café yelled at me, "sorry, you're Rockets are going to lose to my Knicks". I smiled back and told him, "I wouldn't bet on it if I were you". I always wondered if he thought about me when we won. I thought about him when we won, and it was so satisfying.

24 years later, I'm ready for another Rockets Championship. Go Rockets...make it happen.

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I was 10 years old. I remember my old man used to talk about calvin n ralph. My old man used to get so upset during the game. I remember he qpuld say they gonna kill hakeem lol from riding him so much. Man those was the days everybody gathered around the TV I remember that Houston Chronicle commercial. Practicing the dream shake everyday. Till this day 11 bros n sisters, mom n dad. A rockets game always brings us together. Love this team. Would mean everything to win another one

Clutch, heypartner and tmoney1101 like this.
  6. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I was 10 and the Rockets meant everything to me. My aunt happened to be married to CD at the time and I got to go to a few games.

Once I even got to shoot around on the court and go into the locker room after the game. Dream was giving an interview to a female reporter and I rember thinking how crazy I thought it was that she was in there with all the players walking around buck ass naked. Rudy T walked me over to Dream and he asked me who my favorite player was and I told him that he was, that’s all I could really muster. Horry over hears me and says something like, “man I thought you just told me I was your favorite player”, and a bunch of bare ass lols were had.

I used to have a bunch of awesome memorabilia from then but our house was robbed and since we didn’t have much that memorabilia was about the only thing of value. The rest of the house was just wrecked pretty much and my room was cleaned out.

Anyway, that year really cemented my love for the rockets and I’ve been a diehard fan since.

#66 tmoney1101, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  7. alethios

alethios Member

My son was born the same year at around the same time we won our first title, and we celebrated his first birthday at the same time the Rockets were working on the second chip.

8. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

I was still in China

9. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

Wasn't born yet

10. riko

riko Member

Was 10 at the time.still remember the Olajuwon 3 pointer against theknicks like it was as yesterday.

11. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

I was 5

months

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Born in 95... sadly my fondest memories of the Rockets are that 22 game streak and us taking Kobe and the Lakers to 7 games when we saw the last few drops Yao had left in the tank :(

Other greatest moment for me was the epic comeback against the clippers since it was on my birthday.