1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jan 19, 2018.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Schumer Shutdown! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would be surprised if the republicans don’t lose some seats. IMO Trump is damaging the Republican Party with all of his tweets.

3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The young turks? Really bro? I thought you were above that

4. jsingles

jsingles Member

Are you saying that if the Republicans introduced a bill that solely funded CHIP, and nothing else, that there would opposition? Because the video argues that you'd have unanimous support if that happened. Why you would take the position that sick kids deserve to die is beyond me, seek help.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Even without a filibuster, republicans don't have enough votes to pass the bill.

6. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I am not sure why all the conservatives on here are not holding President Trump responsible for this. It seems to me that many conservatives complained when Obama could not work more effectively with Republicans.

Isn't President Trump supposed to be the one who brings some of the Democrats to his side? Or perhaps his abrasive style, particularly in calling Senator Warren "Pocahontas," is coming back to haunt him b/c not one Democrat will cross the aisle?

7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I turned off the video as soon as I saw that big buffaloe face. As for the shutdown, this all goes down to Democrats and the Senate minority leaders wanting every single demand of his met. Republicans offered protection for Dreamers for the wall funding, they refused. Republicans offered to extend CHIP long term and come back to the Dreamer issue later on and Democrats refused. It all comes down to Democrats causing the shutdown to protect illegals and sick kids will die because of them.

Why you would take the position that sick kids deserve to die is beyond me, seek help.

Roc Paint likes this.
  8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Power of the purse lies with congress. Its part of checks and balances. A shutdown government is always going to be congress's fault if nothing gets passed by Congress. During 2013 Republicans blamed Democrats since Republicans were the majority party in Congress, not just specifically Obama. That being said the democrats are doing what their constituents want. nothing wrong iwth that.

#48 tallanvor, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  9. bigtexxx

This is on the Dems.

I don't care if the government shuts down. They've had a shutdown before, and we are still here!

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

There are not 50 republican votes in the senate to keep the government open. The filibuster is keeping republicans from embarrassing themselves even further.

11. tallanvor

i never said what you quoted me saying. think u ****ed up.

Roc Paint likes this.
  12. dandorotik

Why is President Trump not able to get at least a few Democrats on his side? Was not this a major complaint against Obama? Shouldn't President Trump be held to the same standard as President Obama? It is very surprising that President Trump is not using his deal-making skills to a better advantage here.

But, yes, the Democrats do deserve some blame.

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

At least when Republicans shut down the government it was due to them believing Ocare was unconstitutional. Democrats are shutting the government down to protect people who broke federal laws

Roc Paint likes this.
  14. tallanvor

because they dont agree. Why would it be Trump's jump to convince Democrats to go along with Republicans budget?

No.

15. bigtexxx

oh yes. clearly

16. Nook

Nook Member

A majority of Americans are not likely to think so. The Republicans have the House, Senate and President.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

LOL Is there are slimier piece of ****, other than Trump of course, than this guy? Holy ****.

I don't support DACA, it's an enormous mistake to use it as a reason not to fund the government. That really ticks me off frankly to put the operation of the government and all of those employees on the line for a bunch of largely grown up illegals who can't even vote.

Conversely, Republicans using CHIP to get funding just illustrates the depths of their depravity. Republicans at any time over many months could have passed CHIP EASILY. Using poor, sick kids as a prop is about as a low ****ing trash as you can get. Disgusting.

------------------------
    And damn you all for not starting this thread before this dope so I had to take him off ignore just to participate. Y'all need to be a little quicker on the trigger and not let trolls start threads first on important topics.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What news organization would you prefer? I doubt it would be unbiased, so get out of here your disdain for TYT, at least they tell you their bias.

19. dandorotik

Yes, it was.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's the spin that the Democrats will be banking on the average American being stupid enough to buy. Of course anyone with half a brain knows it's BS, the Republicans don't have 60 senators, so they don't control the senate enough to avoid a shutdown without support from Democrats.

That said, banking on the ignorance of the American people is a smart play that will probably work out for them.