1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iran Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tallanvor, Dec 29, 2017.

1. dmoneybangbang

Seems this puts a wrench in the plans of those who merely wanted to view Iranians as Islamic American/Israeli haters....

val_modus likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, how about actually supporting the Iranian people by not banning them from entering the US?

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That and I want to note how all the Trump fans and Trump himself are all about "Democracy" and "basic freedoms" now with Iran, but how will they view "Democracy" when they later discuss Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc? (Hell... how will they view it with our own damn country?) Will they stand so hard with "the people" when Russians protest Putin not allowing for a fair election, or when the Saudi's continue to violate basic human rights?

This Iran protest is clearly just being used as a political device to roll back this supposed Iran-Obama working relationship which is sold on FoxNews as some sort of friendship which is garbage. Had the Iranian people been protesting 18 months ago, we can be certain Obama sure as hell wouldn't be the topic of praise on the right if he was injecting himself and his policy so heavy handily.

Amiga likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The best parts are the tweeted replies...

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The regime will not fall over whether Trump tweets about the protest or not. Why is that so hard to understand? All Trump did was bring more attention the protest when very little attention was given to it by the media. The first time I heard about the protest was from Trump's twitter.

In 2009 Obama remained almost silent throughout the entire unrest and then what happened? The regime clamped down with force so your theory about the regime bringing change if US remains silent is false.

Obama gifted Iran with 1 billion dollars and removing the sanctions. Iran was on the verge of economic collapse and then Obama threw them a life vest.

6. dmoneybangbang

If you heard it first through Twitter then that’s on you and your choice of media. If you want to be dishonest about all the different media outlets that covered this in order to prop up some flaccid argument then so be it.

Why would it have been a good thing if Iran collapses economically? Has destabilization produced good results in the Middle East?

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Iranians don't want to come to the US. they want their own country back, that's what the protests are about. This same regime refused to help with visa investigations, thus the point of the immigration ban. You can't let people in if you don't know anything about them.

8. dobro1229

I guess you still don't read posts before you reply. Nobody said EVERYONE needs to be silent. Nobody certainly said THE MEDIA should be silent, and they aren't regardless of Trump. Its just that Trump is in a position where he in the middle of a policy spat regarding his inevitable tearing up of the Iran deal, and HIM injecting himself into the current circumstance is not a smart move.

However... WE... the media, etc. should not be silent, and should encourage every repressed country to speak out for freedom. We should be encouraging RUSSIANS as well, and bringing up more and more that Putin should give his people the right to vote, and have free speech. Why are YOU so silent about Russia? Why are you so silent when Trump attacks our own democratic institutions, and free speech? You care about Iran's alot, but not our own (assuming you are even from the states, which you might not be).

Wait... so you are saying that it is a good idea to allow Iran to slip into economic collapse AND at that time allow them to finish their Nuclear arsenal? Sounds like a great time to allow both to happen.

FYI... that's exactly what the gameplan is with North Korea. Sanctions that debilitate their economy enough to force them to the table. If Trump ever got to the table with NK, the deal would look a hell of alot like the Iran Nuclear deal..... where Trump "threw them a life vest".

Even if you hated the deal at the time, it doesn't matter now. A North Korean DIPLOMATIC solution is very much dependent on being able to come to the table with the notion that America keeps its word, and doesn't play politics with JCPOA deals. Every day Trump plays politics with the Iran Deal, the likelihood of Kim Jung coming to the table is less and less likely.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There are over 1 million Iranian Americans living in the US. There are thousands of Iranian students studying here. There are thousands of Iranian people visiting the US each year. This isn't a false either or choice. Of course they want their country and of course they want to visit the US.

We didn't ban them since 911, and now we do. What terrorists act have they done on our soil? I don't recall one. The people of Iran don't seem to be motivated to come here and become terrorists. The people of Saudi Arabia, on the other hand, have done so and so there is reason to think they are more susceptible. Yet, one country is subjected to the ban and not the other. To said it's about security is bs. The ban hurt the people of Iran, who just want to visits their families or friends, or come here to study, not the government of Iran. If you support them, start by lifting an action that wasn't necessary in the first place.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I'll say this again. This approach did not work before, why repeat it?

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The Iran deal looks a lot similar to the North Korean deal in 1994 and will have the same result. All the deal does it will delay the process but will not stop Iran from making nukes in the future.

12. dobro1229

Because of North Korea. Did you not read a damn thing I just said. Unless you are rooting for nuclear war which wouldn’t shock me. Trumps handling of the Iran Deal is a preview for the world with how they handle the implementation of JPAOC deals. What he says and does with Iran matters more than you are letting on. Him injecting himself into this conversation turns the conversation to the Iran Deal and takes away from what the movement is trying to achieve.

13. dmoneybangbang

Because the other approach is a war, which may or may not illicit Russia to join conventionally, that is targeting hardened Iranian targets. There is no guarantee after the war that a future regime won't get nuclear capability.

So why repeat it, to avoid a very difficult war that may not prevent Iran from acquiring nukes.

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

It's you who refuse to read what I wrote. Who's asking for a war? Only a Trump hater would think him giving moral support and bringing attention to the protest is bad. Did you guys also wanted Regan to be quiet when approaching communism? You guys must have hated Regan's speech to remove the German wall.

#94 RocketsLegend, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

This is Regan:
    [​IMG]

This is Reagan:

[​IMG]

peleincubus likes this.
  16. JTQ

JTQ Member

I don't get why President of USA talks too much about political demonstration in other country. Talking about interventionism. It is actually undermining the demonstration itself

17. val_modus

val_modus Member

As someone from the country, I’d like to know posters’ thoughts on what they think of the average Iranian citizen, and furthermore what your best case scenario is out of these demonstrations (in a feasible manner of course).

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Most Iranians I have met were either doctors or taxi drivers. From what I know, Iranians have a higher level of education on average than Arabs, and certainly than Afghans/Pakistanis. Many Iranians seem to be quite liberal/like to party. There seems to be more desire for freedom and Western values than e.g. in Saudi Arabia.

Deckard likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The vast majority just want a decent standard of living for their families and themselves. Some personal freedom and an end to the corruption that is rife within the regime, as well as the end of the regime's "private military," the so-called Revolutionary Guards, who also very corrupt and help keep the mullahs in power. In my opinion.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd echo SJC's impression. I have a good impression of Iranians as generally well educated and more enlightened than others of the region, and they have an unfortunate political circumstance, partly because of our doing. I don't expect anything good to come of these demonstrations though. The Arab Spring has made me cynical perhaps. I expect the demonstrations will ultimately be suppressed, but things could be even worse if they 'won' which could cause anarchy, polarize political factions, and leave an opening for worse elements to take power. I would rather see gradual reform over a century than popular revolt all at once.