1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Since there is no one central exchange the price varies based on volume of trading and what the people on that exchange are willing to pay. Each exchanges prices are at the mercy of the people on that specific exchange buying. The orders don't go to a central location and get sent out etc.

Another reason Coinbase is always higher is becuase they charge crazy fees on top of the price to buy from them for the "ease of use". They are the easiest point of entry for anyone that is trying to get into the game and they know it so they tack on a nice premium. That's why the price on their info chart page is on par with the actual BTC prices around, but when you go to buy it jumps up.

That's also why on a lot of exchanges or sites that cover the pricing have a "blending average price" from all the exchanges they pull data from.

Hope that helps.

CCity Zero likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

My bad on Segwit / 2x. However, in terms of what gets named BTC, that wasn't necessarily unusual. There was a lot of uncertainty as to whether Segwit2x was going to become the primary chain (unlike Cash, Gold, etc). Coinbase stated they would go with whichever ended up with the most hashpower. Several other exchanges took the same position:

https://blog.coinigy.com/2017/10/comprehensive-list-of-exchange-segwit2x-stances/

BitPay – Will follow the chain with the highest accumulated difficulty (announcement here). Will refer to the minority chain as BC1 (if Segwit2x is the majority) or BC2 (if Segwit2x is the minority) with no further support for the minority.

Bittrex – In the beginning, will support Segwit2x (announcement here). “BTC” will remain the existing Bitcoin chain with 1 MB blocks until the industry and ecosystem demonstrate a clear chain preference. If community chain preference remains unclear, they may open up B2X markets.

Blockchain.info – Tentative support for Segwit2x (announcement here). Hash power will decide which chain Blockchain follows.

BTCC – Will support Segwit2x (announcement here). Hash power will decide which chain is listed as BTC.

BTC Markets – Will support Segwit2x if there is sufficient community and miner support (announcement here and here). Hash power and/or market capitalization will decide which chain is listed as BTC.

Coinbase – Will honor Segwit2x balances as well as enable trading (announcements here, here, and here). Hash power will decide which chain is listed as BTC.

Gemini – No explicit support for or against (announcement here). Hash power will decide which chain is listed as BTC.

Ledger – Will support Segwit2x (announcement here). Original Bitcoin chain will be called Bitcoin-1x and Segwit2x chain will be called Bitcoin-2x.

At the time of that article, many others hadn't announced one way or another, others had said they'd keep things as they were. Again, it wasn't a consensus and there were a lot of major exchanges and players saying the same as Coinbase.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. Saado

Saado Member

Do you have a few alt-coin recs for someone just getting in?

I kinda bought in a while ago and have ridden the wave of BTC and ETH multiplying but never looked at alts. Seems like that's the way to go now (and has been).

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This thread has a lot of good information.

I invested in verge about two weeks ago

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I've been watching that FUN coin (well invested currently), seems like big potential. And cheap gamble, but might be more of a long play, as Yung-T stated sounds really promising.

6. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Oh man this guy's on board?

Join my hedge fund BSD.

We're whales in LTC and a few alts. Have healthy eight figures in coins and/or dollar value in those.

SIL

Space Ghost likes this.
  7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yun-T, did you see the glowing comments billionaire venture capitalist Jim Breyer said about VeChain (VEN), in response to a question about which cryptocurrency to invest in 2018.

There are those who believe the price is being suppressed by some whales but this should end by mid January.

The Breyer interview is on Quora.com. Sorry, couldn't post the article.

I was already bullish about VEN going forward. Nice to see some reinforcement.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This is an excerpt of the Breyer interview. Farking Quora.com makes it so difficult to post a link.

"One of the smaller companies with tokens that I am watching closely in 2018 is Vechain.

VeChain is a product management platform integrated with Blockchain technology that puts unique IDs on the Blockchain. Vechain is focusing on transparency through anti-counterfeiting and supply chain management. Counterfeit luxury goods are a big problem (some sources say it’s over a 400-billion-dollar problem!) and VeChain, if successful, could offer a transformative solution.

Last I checked, VeChain has a strong team and has already established some compelling partnerships with organizations like PwC. Ideally and eventually, Vechain will implement their technology and help diminish numerous supply chain inefficiencies. If Vechain can execute, they could be a leader in item validation, and capture a meaningful portion of the growing cross border e-commerce market.

The Chinese blockchain industry, from small companies with tokens to major enterprises, is flourishing and should not be ignored. I took a bold bet on China over a decade ago and remain as convinced as ever that Chinese innovation will resume at a rapid and competitive pace."

Yung-T likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Still nothing on USI Tech? I have some money in it now (not my own).

I'm thinking about investing another chunk in it, as well.

My father in law says a friend of his put 20k in, in March and it's now worth a cool million.

10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

p***y weight. Be a big baller like Yung d

SIL

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Gotta look that one up. But kinda in general, 50x was easily achievable this year but most here missed the train, 50x alone is not necessarily a sign of long-term success in this early market (many went 100x-1000x).
    Hope 2018 sees similar growth for all of us, remember that everyone in this thread should still be seen as an early adopter.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I like how incredibly insecure you are on a basketball board where you don't even know the people calling you out.

Grow up or seek therapy.

13. Two Sandwiches

It's basically a pyramid scheme with Bitcoin. Seems to be legal, but who knows when the bubble will burst.

I may throw a little more money into it though.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We should be good for at least a year, so investing now seems like a good idea.

Agree that the space in general is overbought and speculative atm, but a lot of companies are linking up with tech giants, governments, banks, merchants etc and are severely undervalued right now.

It's difficult to call this a pyramid scheme when you'll see real-world adoption on a mass scale starting next year. For me, a pyramid scheme is something solely created for the profit of the inventors and that cheats others into buying worthless junk, which isn't what blockchain is about.

15. Two Sandwiches

I think I'm going to sink some money in it in the coming days. Nothing I can't live without, of course. Just wish I had gone in years ago.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its a bubble in the sense that the overwhelming majority talk more about price and gains than actual tech. I think I've only met one person who refuses to talk about price and gains.

Major likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Bingo. Not to pick on anyone, but when you have people saying 50x returns are low, or that something is a pyramid scheme but still worth putting money in, there should be huge red flags waving everywhere.

If *you* know that there's 50x potential in these things, then lots of people with far more money than you know that too and would have already bid things up. The time when you can get 50x or 100x gains is when no one was talking about the possibility of 50x or 100x gains. That's not to say some of these coins won't succeed, but the biggest gains are when no one thinks money can be made - not when everyone is throwing money at things hoping it will explode.

18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Relatively new to cryptocurrency. It is addicting. Only started a couple weeks ago.

Got my coinbase and binance setup and I ended up choosing verge as the first currency that I put money into.

Ive been watching a lot of david hay youtube videos and just reading internet articles. Does anybody have any recommendations on other resources that I should pursue to get more knowledgable?

19. Two Sandwiches

Not saying Bitcoin itself is a pyramid scheme, but I'm saying USI Tech itself is a bit of a pyramid scheme.

Couldn't agree more otherwise.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Think I’m going keep all my funds in BTC until the fork. Take the next few days to come up with a new strategy and start over fresh for the new year.