1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was that Cuttino Mobley on TV?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yesterday, I was watching the NCAA game between Stanford and Maryland, and it showed a history video clip of a tournament last second win by Stanford a few years ago when a Cardinal stripped the ball from a player on the in bounds under the Cardinal basket with like a few seconds left. The Cardinal made the layup and won the game by 2.

Now, at this point in time, I had no idea what the other team was, nor any knowledge of that game. But the look of lost by the player in blue (you know, looking around, left and right for a ref, like some grave injustice has just occured) has just become so familiar to me that it had to be Cuttino Mobley. Then I saw the score and it was Stanford 79 Rhode Island 77. Cuttino went to RI right? I'm looking for confirmation from some one who's seen that game or knows what I'm talking about.

So I guess he choked and got RI knocked out of the NCAA's? I'm not knocking him here, it was just a mistake, I still like his game. It's just an interesting history bit if it was him. I think CBS said it was Tyson Wheeler or something similar to that, but it sure looked %90 like Cuttino to me. It had to be him or Rick Rock (from the "It Wasn't Me" Video).

------------------
    I BELIEVE!

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Cuttino went to Road Island and they went far into the tournament that year and lost on a play like that. Ic ant remember exactly or remember if it was Cuttino or someone else.

------------------

3. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I saw that highlight too, during the Maryland/Stanford game...I swear that was Mobes...looked a HELL of a lot like him, anyways...

------------------
    Jazzkiller

4. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

It was Cat. He had no facial hair then. He got it stolen in the backcourt, and then Mark Madsen dunked and one.

------------------

5. Band Geek Mobster

I wanted RI to win that game so bad. I hate Stanford.

------------------
    Mmmm ... open-faced club sand wedge.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Here's a write up of their upset of Kansas in that years NCAA tournament (kinda sounds like a Rockets write up)

Web posted Monday, March 16, 1998

Rhode Island Ram guards too good

By PETE GOERING
    The Capital-Journal

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The trapping defense Kansas used so effectively this season didn't exactly scare Rhode Island.

In fact, the Rams practically were licking their wool waiting for it.

"When they get into that overplay defense, we're going to take 'em," Rhode Island coach Jim Harrick said, citing the quickness of Ram guards Tyson Wheeler, Cuttino Mobley and Preston Murphy. "Those three guys light up like a Christmas tree when you get out and press them.

"They couldn't guard us off the dribble. They just couldn't guard us; that was the difference in the game."

The Jayhawks didn't argue, not after Mobley scored 27 points and Wheeler 20 in Rhode Island's stunning 80-75 victory Sunday.

"Basically," KU's Raef LaFrentz said, "their guard play won it."

It helped a bunch that the Jayhawks shot a miserable 5 of 28 from 3-point range -- "They just didn't shoot the ball," Harrick said. "That's the only way you're going to beat them." -- but whenever Rhode Island needed a hoop, Cuttino and Wheeler delivered.

"When me and Cut play together real well, there's nobody who can stop us," Wheeler said after Rhode Island's backcourt outscored Kansas 53-20.

The Jayhawks couldn't, especially in the second half when Rhode Island outscored KU 25-11 to erase a 6-point deficit.

Wheeler hit four 3-pointers in the second half and Mobley two.

"When we play together like we did tonight, it's very difficult for the opposition," said Mobley, the Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Year. "I'm not trying to be high on ourselves; that's just the advantage we have ... we outquick people because we're not as tall."

Lack of height has bothered the Rams this year. A poor rebounding team that has been outrebounded in 22 of 32 games this season, Rhode Island battled KU to a virtual draw -- 41 to 39, with Purdue transfer Luther Clay pulling down 11.

"I knew going into the game it was going to be a war," Clay said. "(LaFrentz) is a very good player. I just had to go out there and play well because I knew that was the only way we were going to win."

"We've been hammered rebounding (in several games)," Harrick added. "I thought we held our own tonight ... to beat LaFrentz and (Paul) Pierce is absolutely incredible."

It was an incredible weekend for Harrick and Rhode Island. His son, Jim Jr., is an assistant coach for Valparaiso, the Cinderella team that upset Mississippi on Friday and Florida State on Sunday, setting up a semifinal match against Rhode Island this coming Friday in St. Louis.

"There is a Heavenly Father, and He was in the building this weekend," Harrick said after the eighth-seeded Rams upset Kansas.

A day before, he had talked about how magical Friday had been, what with Valpo hitting that memorable 3-pointer at the buzzer to beat Ole Miss, and then Rhode Island beating Murray State.

"If Friday was a magical day, today is off the scale," he said. "The odds of this are astronomical, especially when you're talking about Valpo and Rhode Island."

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

7. RockenRam5

RockenRam5 Member

That was him. I knew him when he was at RI. I talked with him over the summer of that year, and he was so pissed about that play. I remember it so clearly. He said he had a mark on his arm where he got slapped.

------------------
    "GiddyUP!!!"
    Krammer from Seinfeld

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

No he didn't "choke". Rhode Island blew an 8 point lead in under a minute, but they still should have won that game but the official blew that call. I wasn't a Rhode Island fan, but they were an 8 seed in the tourney, and a cinderella team and I was rooting for them because of that. I guess people assume just because it was Mobley he choked, but that team and Jim Harrick were robbed, no question. Tyson Wheeler was another Travis Best and Tyronne Lue. I don't know how he didn't make it to the NBA.

------------------
    Meow!

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I didn't know he was #12 in college.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Glad to see that he has grown out of that whining at the refs attitude.

Oh wait, he hasn't !

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Since you really can see to tell right? [​IMG]

He's not the one with the second most T's in the league, but that player who in this argument will go unnamed sure doesn't get criticized for things such as that around here.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

12. today

today Contributing Member

Finn --
    You would have to bring that up to an old KU fan. That was a tough loss, I can still remember exactly where i was listening to it on the radio. Dang Cuttino. We should have won it all that year... Next year is the year for us, our core (Heinrich, Gooden, Collison) will be Juniors next year with this year's tourney in their belts as experience. Rawk Chawk It Up Baby!!!

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight."
    -- Barkley on Minnesota's Chris Carr(thx RocksMillenium)after he missed a game winning free-throw.