1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream Press Conference Transcript

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steverocks, Mar 24, 2001.

1. steverocks

steverocks Member

The Dream Is Back! [​IMG]

Hakeem Olajuwon and Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson held a news conference on March 24 to announce Hakeem Olajuwon has been cleared by his doctors to begin working out again with the Rockets. The following is a transcript of the press conference.

Opening Statement by Carroll Dawson: Thank you for being here. I have to say this is a lot more fun and a lot more exciting than the last time we did this. The doctors have cleared Dream to start working out this Monday with the team full scale. We will see how it goes and we expect everything to go very well. There is a very great possibility that he will be playing this week because he got a release that we are all very excited about. It couldn't have happened at a better time for our team and I can't tell you how excited we are because this is great. The first time we met where it looked like he might not be back this soon, this is just tremendous.

Hakeem Olajuwon: I'm very happy. I thank God for the opportunity that everything went so well. I've been working out. I didn't stop working out. So, I just need to work on my conditioning and see how well I can fit in with the team. I think the team has done a great job by maintaining our chase to the playoffs. We've lost two important games, but we still have the opportunity to get into the playoffs, so I'm looking forward to joining the team.

Question:What were your thoughts when the doctors told you that you could play?

Olajuwon: I was just very happy and relieved. My state of mind was that I could still play. I believed that strongly. When I was working out and when I was running, I felt normal.

Question: Why do want to take any risk by coming back?

Olajuwon: Well, first of all, there is no risk. I wouldn't take any risks. That is why it is important to know the facts. So, they realized that it's no risk for me to come back. The blood clot, it was never really established that there was a clot. When Dr. Muntz did the test it was very clear that there wasn't a blood clot, so there is no risk at all.
    Question: So, you are off the medicine Coumadin now?

Olajuwon: I only took the medicine for one day.

Question: What does it mean to have Hakeem back from the playoff standpoint?

Dawson: Well, for the last month, Hakeem was scoring over 15 points a game and grabbing 12 rebounds a game. I told Dream, we've been together quite a bit lately, that I noticed a difference in him as soon as the swelling went down. There was a point when he thought he might play again, and I think that might have been it in just talking to him. But, the fact is his career rebound average is 11.8, which is tremendous. But, over the last month when he was playing, before this happened and we were playing so well, he was averaging 12 rebounds a game. I have to say that I've watched this man's career my whole life and I don't believe I've ever seen him having any more fun that he was right before this happened. He was enjoying playing, he has such a youthful attitude for the game. It's just so uncommon, it's unbelievable. Everyday he goes out there, he acts as if it's the first day he has discovered basketball. And I think that is tremendous from a professional standpoint. He loves the game and he loves to play. So, I said a long time ago I wasn't going to be surprised at this man anymore, so I'm not surprised.

Question: Could you make it clear that you would never let Hakeem back out there if there was a risk, no matter how much he would want to be out there is if there was a problem.

Dawson: Well, we go by the doctors, just like he does. I'm not a medical man. I can tell you how much it hurt when we lost him. This situation gets a lot more attention, because if this was a sprained finger, it wouldn't draw this much attention. But, even if it was a sprained finger, we still go by what the doctors tell us. In a situation like this, of course, I've been going to the doctors with him. You definitely listen on things like this. This is one of the more intelligent players that I've been around, and I promise you that if he felt that there was any risk as all, he wouldn't play. He believes what the doctors say and so do we.

Question: What are your thoughts on going back to a team that is fighting to get into the playoffs?

Olajuwon: Well, this might be a boost for the team, to strengthen the team. When I was out, it was also a boost for them because they tightened up. So, both ways have been positive. I think we've won some incredible games. I think they have done a great job at keeping us in the race. But, now we can do better. My contribution will be to add strength to the team, and to go for the same goal to get into the playoffs.

Question: How long will it take for your game conditioning?

Olajuwon: Well, I tried to maintain my conditioning. But, with playing basketball, you actually have to play to find out. But, when we play against a team like Utah, you don't have that much time to find out. My game plan is when I step in, it's not going to be someone that is trying to get back, it's someone that is trying to win. And that is my attitude, and why I maintained my program all along.

Question: I know you have to wait for the doctors to give you clearance, but is your mind set to play against Utah?

Olajuwon: Yes.

Dawson: I think his condition and the way he has been working out is fine, but as Dream will tell you the way these guys make this game look so simple is not at times. This workout Monday is very important as far as getting back with the players and getting familiar with things. Also, getting his timing back, as far as team plays and things that we do. I think that is the real important thing with this workout.

Question: Was the condition not as bad as you originally thought, or was this a miraculous recovery?

Olajuwon: I think this was the most conservative approach. We took the most conservative approach, where the reality was different. That was great news. And for me to hear the clarification from the doctor, and also for the Rockets. The impression of people outside is that a team would like you to play at any cost, which in our organization is different. If there is any risk at all, they do not want a player to play, and I am a witness to that.

------------------

[This message has been edited by steverocks (edited March 24, 2001).]

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for this.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Yes! Come on, Dream, lead us to the promised land once more!

------------------
    Watch Cat's Corner every Sunday night on Fox 26 news at 9!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ROCKETS!

4. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I know it's a long shot, but with Dream off the Cato List we might still have a chance.

------------------