1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

So how boring is the NFL now?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MystikArkitect, Oct 6, 2016.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This is the right answer. No commercials, quality athletes, competitive games, not-stop play.

I've been doing this all season.

American football is too slow, too much inaction, too many commercials, too many injuries, too many rules, too much parity, to much punishment for harmless things (i.e. celebrating), too little punishment for terrible things (i.e. woman beating). It's become incredibly boring

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If the EPL came on PRIMETIME it would be sweeeeet. But nah, I don't normally get into it so early. No rooting interest. Just a GREAT sport to watch in general though at that LEVEL OF PLAY.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I know they say MLB is regional and numbers prove that out. But outside of the Texans I don’t give a flying flip about the NFL.

Uprising, Blatz and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Agree, although as long as Keenum is QB for the Vikings, I watch them as well.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Same. And I officially stopped caring for the Texans this year. I can’t watch that offense.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Defense has been completely nerfed. Can't tackle, can't hit, can't touch the QB with a feather. No more grit and toughness left in the game.

Result: average QBs regularly putting up 300-yard games -- diluted to the point of meaningless.

NFL's attempt to juice the offense at the expense of defense means no amount of high scoring is enough to win. A 4 touchdown leads mean nothing, just ask the Falcons.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Stopped watching; absolutely SICK of the eternal whining of politics. SICK of hearing people calling each other names 24/7. The combo of sports and politics is the worst idea ever. What employer allows political demonstrations during office hours besides the NFL?

TheresTheDagger and Roc Paint like this.
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a boring, over-saturated product. Tickets are prohibitively expensive and attending a game is unfathomably boring with all of the stoppages in play. I don't even think I'd accept a free ticket to a Texans game when I factor in the time commitment to watch this offense. The level of QB play is embarrassing across 32 teams (at least Wentz and Goff seem to be catching on). To echo others, it's so much easier to watch a top-tier EPL game in the morning and still have my whole day ahead of me. I can plan around a soccer match that I know will last two hours instead of taking at least 4 hours in the middle of my afternoon to watch a 13-7 Texans game. However, when it comes to pace, nothing is worse than NCAA football.

Finally, I don't see how the talent pool for football doesn't begin to decline as millennials start having children that they won't allow to play the game. Personally, I'd never let a child of mine play football. "League of Denial" cemented that for me years ago and seeing photos of Aaron Hernandez's brain this past week brought it all back to the forefront of my mind. The game itself is structurally unsafe and I think that the quality of play will continue to worsen as kids stop playing it. I say that knowing I'm hypocritical as a viewer. I love watching UT football, but I would understand if the game itself begins to experience a slow death.

#148 mtbrays, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Fantasy football is the only reason I ever watch NFL.

Buck Turgidson and MadMax like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Defense is not why people watch the NFL.

Bone crushing hits? Sure. 3 yards and a cloud of dust? No.

The problem isn't that defense has fundamentally changed.

The problem is that the offenses are the worst they have been in 10 years, and there is almost zero parity (something that has been a hallmark of the NFL for decades).

Dumbarton hit it. Too many stoppages. Too many commercials. Primetime games have sucked. Thursday night games are an abomination. Too many rules. Too many flags. Too many injuries.

The game needs to achieve a better flow that harkens back to its rugby roots and makes it safer long term.

11. JTQ

JTQ Member

AJ Green did not get suspended at all. In other sport it could easily be 10 games. That can stop people from watching

12. Buck Turgidson

How could you suspend Al Green?

13. Nook

Nook Member

The league is just scummy. From the owners to the coaches and players. They are just not likeable; none of them. The owners/front office and players hate each other and it is cut throat to the point of being depressing sometimes.

crose and TheresTheDagger like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

Roger Goodell seeking 50 million per year and lifetime use of a private jet for his family.

Yep.

This league has so many problems it’s become a parody of itself.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

This year has been better, but not by much. They seem to have cut the commercials way down.

16. Pen15clubbers

Pen15clubbers Member

Idk after the whole anthem thing is out of the way the NFL is still pretty sweet to watch. I usually flip between the local game and lemon party.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Still haven't watched one second of NFL action since Watson's injury was announced.

Don't miss it at all.

crose and Nook like this.
  18. TheresTheDagger

It wasn't hard to give up the NFL, and I basically have. I tune in to see scores here and there but watch no games...not even the Texans.

It's amazing what else you can do/accomplish when you get half your weekend back too!

A_3PO and Nook like this.
  19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Only watching for Case Keenum.

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Same. Honest to goodness, I couldn't tell you a thing about the NFL this season. I've cut my NFL watching by a little bit each year for the last three or four years and this year it just got to a point where I wasn't watching at all.

Conversely, I watch and keep up with college football more and more each year, and I don't even really have a favorite team at the FBS level. The atmosphere of college games is better, even when you're watching on TV, the variety of offenses makes the games more interesting to watch, and college football has volume on its side. If I miss the games that start at noon, there's a new wave coming at 2:30, 7:00, and 9:00, not to mention games on Thursdays and Fridays.

I've had this discussion with friends of mine who are hardcore NFL fans, and their arguments are always that college offenses won't work in the NFL because of the consistent talent level across the league and that the NFL is a better product because NFL players are better than college players. That may be true, but to me, better talent =/= more entertaining. Give me crazy offenses that would get an NFL coach fired before his first game and dumb mistakes on the field that make games more fun.