1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Football advice thread [2017-18]

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by YOLO, Aug 9, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Joe Mixon showed up on waivers. I know he has been frustrating and frustrated with lack of use with CIN, but worth an add? If yes, would you drop either Tevin Coleman or Kelvin Benjamin (RBs Hunt, Gordon, Darkwa, Coleman; WRs are Allen, Jeffery, Shepard, Parker, Kelvin Benjamin).

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

PPR league - Aaron Jones at Chi, Kenyan Drake @Car, or Rod Smith @Atl?

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I would pick him up for Tevin Coleman, Jeremy Hill was just placed on IR, so Mixon will get good amount of carries now.

4. NewRoxFan

Thanks... my waiver claim was successful. Weird, all season long I tried to figure a way to trade for him,then the night the trade deadline passes I claim him off waivers. Hopefully he does something the ROS since I am sure now that I dropped Coleman Freeman will get hurt and Coleman becomes a top ten RB.

Good luck everyone in your leagues!

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Alright guys, need some help. Non ppr league and got bet with opponent, need to win.

2 wr 2 rb and a flex
    Cooks
    Benjamin
    Sanu
    Ginn for wrs

Fournette
    Bilal Powell
    Rob Kelley
    Jonathan Stewart

Right now I have Benjamin, Cooks and Ginn
    With Powell and Fournette.

Only dilemma is sanu

6. NewRoxFan

Another brutal day. Lost three of las four. Last week started Cousins. This week sat Cousins versus MIN, started Big Ben versus IND. Worse, Gordon. May try a new strategy, drop everyone and stream every position.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah man I started Cousins in place of Wentz. Places like cbs fantasy had him ranked 14 or lower. Which he is #1 for the week so far, unless someone has more points on Monday night. It was mostly a fluke though 12 points from 2 rushing td’s.

8. NewRoxFan

As it turned out, Roethlisberger was able to throw for a pair of TDs so he at least exceeded his low floor projection. My stubborn decision to start Charles Clay his first week back, coupled with BUF bad offense, will probably be the reason I lose. That and Gordon crapping the bed.

But I was right about Freeman getting injured after I dropped Tevin Coleman. Coleman then took over as lead back, scored a TD And has his season high fantasy points. My adding Nixon wasn't all bad, as he scored and had 11 points. But holding Coleman all season on the chance he starts, and as soon as I drop him, it happens. Argh.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ha the only reason I’m winning is because of Adam Thielen. I started Gordon and Charles Clay also.

I don’t know if it’s wise. But I’m going to try and get the Philly kicker. Which would mean I’m starting Wentz, Ertz, Ajayi, and the kicker every week.

10. NewRoxFan

Theilen and Rob Wood would be season winners. Amazingly, Wood is still on our waivers. Each week I look at him, say I should drop one of my WRs for him, and each week I say naaaahh, my WR is better. I am so stupid some times (Keenan Allen and Kelvin Benjamin continue to rot on my bench).

Elliott is on our waivers too, and he is a huge scorer. I don't have a high waiver claim so not worth me even thinking of it. I have Wil Lutz who is a really good kicker too (13 points kicking in cold BUF), and may even be better ROS season with mostly dome games left.

Good place to get info on kickers:

11. The Stig

The Stig Member

Alright, I need 2 points to win this week and it comes down to the TEs going today.

Es Dickson or Julius Thomas? Standard league.

12. NewRoxFan

I don't know if you should trust me (heck, started Charles Clay this weekend over ASJ), but I'd go Ed Dickson going against an easier defense.

The Stig likes this.
  13. The Stig

The Stig Member

Your opinion is good enough for me! I picked Dickson but was second guessing myself. Thanks!

Also, Clay should be fine ROS once he gets into the groove of things...hopefully. Tyrod is the biggest concern moving forward.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If I'm in a 12 team league I still don't hold a Kicker at all even on bye. Don't care who it is. The chance of an extra bench spot being a find that week is too good to give up on a marginal decrease at the most irrelevant position in football. Had Succop who was good, cut him for Butker who was good, cut him for Forbath. It just doesn't matter. Just find one in a capable offense that doesn't really suck like Blair Walsh.

Use analytics. Never judge a roster spot by a marginal increase/decrease in output. Output over a small sample size is votitile.

Just like in baseball or basketball VORP is the easiest terminology to apply to fantasy football thought processes.

Essentially, your player's value is measured by scarcity far more than anything else. This is why WR and RB are the most scarce positions. You need multiple good ones so you use multiple draft picks and roster spots on WR/RB. It is a position far too valuable to stream. It must be built through the draft and supplemented though in-season acquisition.

Back to VORP now, take the average points scored of the kickers currently on rosters in your league and compare that to the average of the top 3 available kickers on your waiver wire. The difference is far too marginal to make a real difference over a 15 game season.

This is why the Kicker position should be eliminated from FF. Yes it provides points but in a completely random way requiring very little skill at all. You may as well start "heads or tails" for teams like DSTs. It really doesn't mean anything statistically.

Remember, never blow your waiver priority when switching Ks either. If your K is on bye but you desperately need #1 priority, take the L on the spot. Explain to your commish its a statistically foolish thing to do.

#654 moestavern19, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  15. JTQ

JTQ Member

Just traded

Travis Kelce (TE)
    Greg Zeuerlein (K)

for

Laveon Bell (RB)

while keeping Olsen in IR...

sounds like a jackpot :D

16. NewRoxFan

Congrats, while Thomas also got the score, Dickson had more yards and a score. Hope you won.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

@FLASH21

hope you started funchess man. definitely a weekly starter now that KB is gone

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Haha, I didn't but I still would of lost by 20. Devonte Freeman going down with 0 and him having Cousins, Woods, and Engram go off in the same week destroyed my chances at winning.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

damn. well your wr's look fine going forward with thomas, juju, and funchess

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Definitely. There's also more options on the waiver wire with Davante Adams, Marqise Lee, and Jeremy Maclin hanging around there.