1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Demetrius Jackson to 2-way deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SC1211, Jul 28, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

His ceiling is through the floor.

Slam Dunk and alethios like this.
  2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yes this cat is a much better upgrade right

3. Nook

Nook Member

Because he can defend speed.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bad defense? I definitely didn't see anything close to that.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, at least he can play defense and has an actual nba body, Bobby seems a nice dude but he's just China/Europe material.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. carib

carib Member

He is new he only played less than 11 minutes for the Rockets, let us see how he does with a few more games under his belt before we write him off. Hopefully CP3 will come back soon. Trey Burke was a veteran I was hoping Morey would go after, but reports from previous teams is that he has a very bad attitude, so I hope Morey stays away from him. MDA and Morey obviously see some thing in Jackson, so I want him to do well, expect some mistakes because he is a youngster. I like his defensive effort and athleticism, I too hope he becomes like a Smart or Beverley.

RudyTBag and Vivi like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's nice that D'Antoni likes him. That's a good start. He made Chris Duhon a god for 82 games once.

justtxyank likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think the answer to "why ahead of brown" is due to what mfastx reminds of us, wrt 2-way contracts. A 2-way player can't really replace a real roster spot. They don't have enough days allowed to be traveling with the team to actually have a rotation spot. This is time to see him play.

MDA/Morey surely wants to see him play when he's here; otherwise, he needlessly burns into his allotted 2way 45-days (which surely is primarily reserved for Injury call-ups), after which we would have to convert to a true 15-man roster spot and regular contract.

That said, these early days don't count towards the 45-days. These are free days presumably until Nov 3 (Vipers first game), which is even more reason to have him up and playing now.

From the Larry Coon faq: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82
    • Days outside the D-League season don't count toward the 45 day maximum on the NBA roster.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. alethios

alethios Member

lololol I had to chuckle at that...while I was on a conference call

10. heypartner

D'Antoni talks about Demetrius in this Canaan article ... about not being ready, quite yet.

The Rockets have used second-year guard Demetrius Jackson off the bench with Chris Paul out. Jackson, however, played just 3 ½ minutes on Monday and did not return in the second half. Jackson, who is on a two-way contract with the Rockets to play in the G League, played 17 minutes with the Celtics last season.

“I think he still needs some seasoning and to get his game together,” D’Antoni said. “I like him. It probably wasn’t totally fair to throw him in the mix like that. It would have been nice to have a half a season. I think he’s got a future. He plays hard and he plays well. It’s probably a matter of a little more experience, a little more shooting. But I like Demetrius.​

“I think with time he’s going to be fine. I don’t know if we have that time right now.”

11. Houtho

Houtho Member

What happens after the G-league finishes, do they become 'free' days outside of the 45 day limit?
    Eg
    'Free' days > 3rd Nov - 45 day limit total - 24th March < 'Free' days

I like maximising using these 'free' days but only if the team will not be sacrificing on the overall goals of wins and team chemistry.

12. heypartner

fwiw: Feigen got confirmation that RGV training camp counts. So we have no free days right now. Also, RGVs were in the playoffs until April 27th last year...2 -1 loss in the Finals. So, we might also need confirmation on what the End of the Season is: end of regular season, or when you get knocked out of the playoffs, or when the finals ends no matter what.

Houtho likes this.
  13. heypartner

14. arjun

arjun Member

45 days start on october 23rd, first day of G-League training camp. if the 2way player is with the nba team before the 23rd, it is a free day.

The end of the season is March 24th, the last day of G-League regular season. After that, 2way players will again have free days, however, 2way players cannot be on their NBA team's playoff roster.

I think most likely unless Demetrius Jackson shows true potential, we will cut him after his 45 days is up before the Feb 8th guarantee 2way date. That way, we could have a good look at another prospect for a few months...if one exists.