1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP now coming for your 401k

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Let me help you with that. I suggest visiting realclearpolitics daily so you can get inoculated from hype from both sets of BS merchants.

Conservative view: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/10/21/an_america_first_tax_plan_135325.html
    Basically, the tax system is jacked up and we need to fix it, trust us.

Democrat view: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...9_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.0384c6b2bdb6
    Basically, the Republicans are lying and are trying to hurt everybody but the rich. (I had to go to realclearpolicy to find this)

It reminds me of the battle over Obama care before it was enacted with the roles reversed.

I'd like to see a much simplified tax system. I doubt I'll get it but I'm sure there will be things I like (and don't like) and that the media will scream that the changes are racist or classist or both. The current system has social policy deeply embedded into it, making it overly complex.

Flat tax anybody?

peleincubus likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Too general and has nothing about this particular 401k change proposal.

This would be better in the tax thread, but...

The 2nd link talks about the bold faced lies from the Trump admin - "tax cuts benefit only the middle class and not the rich" (among other lies). We know that's a bold faced lie (given the general framework) as the rich will benefit the most, some middle class has some benefit and some will see tax increases. Given the history of constant lying from Trump, and not just small lies, but complete reversal of reality, not a surprise. I have heard some GOP Congress having similar concerns, so these lies aren't associated to the Republicans, or specifically, the GOP Congress as whole at this point.

I think this isn't similar to the battle over Obamacare but more similar to the battle over killing Obamacare. With Obamacare, people knew the details well ahead of time and had months to debate them openly. With this, it's a basic framework little details. The details are kept secret, if they even have them. "Just Trust Us" is the right motto for what they have been doing here, just like with the kill-Obamacare plan that many Congressional members didn't have details until a few days (if even) before the vote. So far, the trend is a repeat of that. A few leaks here and there on some proposals, but not the full picture.

EDIT: All for a simplified tax system, but not one that is this lopsided

#22 Amiga, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing conservative do not like the idea.

The goal here is to pay for the massive tax cuts in some small amount, upfront in the early years. But it's a gimmick, shifting when tax are paid, and overall, there is no "paying" toward the massive tax cuts with this proposal.

This is an attempt to have the cake (tax cuts) and eat it too (not paying for it). GOP has always said, we need to pay for it. Now they can't. They can't make the hard decision of real deep major cuts to pay for their tax cuts. Fearing backlash of such major cuts to popular programs, they prefer number trickery to fool themselves and the public.

Frankly, it's a bit of a surprise that they are considering this. This goes against some conservative principles. Less personal choice - today, you can choose between roth and regular IRA. This take that choice away. Tax increase to pay for something - during the Obama year, it was always cut to programs, but never generating revenue to pay. Less self-reliance- this can decrease saving for retirement (people that aren't already choosing roth likely will reduce their contribution), in an attempt to shift that "fund" to the government, so that you are more likely to be reliant on the government in your retirement years.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well, that Milo guy got put in the penalty box....for like a few whole months...for saying he thought it was cool to rape teenage boys. So maybe that's next?

As we go down this Road (as in Cormac McCarthy) I'm wondering where our benevolent plutocrat overlords are. Zuck, Eric and the rest seem to be too cool with collecting some chump change from Russia in order to MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

JeffB, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ridiculous that they are going after 401(k)s again.

Tax policy is going to be absolutely ridiculous.

I'm amazed at how many are convinced that taxes being too high are just killing corporations in this country.

We have an economic and jobs apocalypse coming.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This talk over 401Ks is just a wet finger in the wind. Once they realize the blowback is too severe, it will be off the table and accusations of "fake news" will be lobbed at the press.

Deckard and BigShasta like this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Roths are awesome. Unless one has employer matching, I would max out the Roth first.

I dont see this legislation passing.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Pretty much this. It sounds like a typical Trump style move to bait discord.

9. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

lol actual poor people (ppl making 42k or less for a family of 1) don't have 401ks.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They are, but not for everyone. Some like the immediate tax break incentive of regular 401k, and some are betting on a lower tax rate down the road.

As part of the overall tax cut pkg legislation, it should pass. We have seen supposedly non conservative ideas become acceptable, even popular just because Trump.

11. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Yes, thats right. 401k is more a middle class thing

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol they are coming for your 401k.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Plenty of working stiffs support cutting tax for the super rich at the expense of themselves, MAGA!

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You must be in your late 20's to make that statement.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

A lot of stupid mofos.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yup, Trump is going to look after their interest LOL.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    Well, this 401k grab turned out to be fake news... Trump derangement syndrome is driving people to say and do crazy things...

GOOD DAY

18. adoo

adoo Member

plenty of them wishing that a billionaire,

who, at age 22, was given a $ million by his rich father to start his business,
    would understand the plight of the working stiffs, and fight for them.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Well that's the thing. Very very rare for a company to match a Roth IRA. In fact, anecdotally, I've never once seen that as a benefit whereas 401k matching up to X% is everwhere.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

@A_3PO called it.

Trump sympathizer is so quick to believe a liar.

Deckard likes this.