1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retiring #1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 8, 2017.

?

Should we retire #1? For McGrady?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. No

81 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree it has nothing to do with you. Relating to the sleepy and lazy eyes some other poster said.

Have a nice rest weekend!

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't understand how anyone could think he deserves to get his jersey retired here. Sure, he's a HOFer. So is Scottie Quitten. Like Scottie, T-Mac quit on the Rockets. You do not reward players who quit on your team by hanging their jerseys in the rafters. That's just nuts! Guess we should retire Dwight Howard's jersey once he makes the HOF too? And don't doubt it. Dwight will be in the hall of fame

BigM likes this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I like T-Mac as a player and enjoyed his time here until the ending fiasco. But absolutely not. He didn't play here long enough or accomplish enough to warrant it. Dwight Howard will also be a hall of famer. Don't think his jersey is getting hung up there any time soon. Should in Orlando though. Tracy probably didn't spend enough time anywhere to really warrant a jersey retirement.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The hypocrisy is real. Same people bashing T-mac are head over heels for Harden.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

nah, his jersey shouldn't be retired here

if he continued to play at his 04-07 level here for 5-6 years and had some playoff success then ok, but he fizzled out and became a complete shell of himself and never made it past the 1st round

he didn't do enough to warrant a jersey retirement

6. rockets13champs

a league MVP, multiple all-nba 1st team apperances, a finals berth... leading alot of teams statistical categories.. to me that is what warrants a jersey retirement.

in the future, i expect us to Retire 13, but not 3 or 7 if Cp3 or melo get us a championship

Reeko likes this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

EDIT: Double post

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm on "Team McGrady" as far as Clutchfans is concerned.... and NO.

In my book there are two ways to get a jersey retired:
    1. Championship
    2. Entire career (or 10+ years) with the franchise

DudeWah and Roxnostalgia like this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

...Trevor Ariza isn't retired yet.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You're nuts.

Harden 5 years 13618 points, 3527 assists, 3093 rebounds - multiple playoff series victories
    McGrady 6 years 6888 points, 1699 assists, 1667 rebounds - ZERO playoff series victories

You kind of look dumb to me if you really think these two players are similar. McGrady was good, selfish, and a failure. Harden is great, unselfish, and a success. And he's probably going to achieve more going forward.

Hell, Harden has been in serious discussions as the NBA MVP. McGrady was never close to getting that top spot.

Ariza 4 years 4081 points, 848 assists, 1686 rebounds -- also a better comparison for T-Mac. Would you retire Ariza's number? I would before I even thought about retiring TMac's and I'm not really considering Ariza's at all.

Tha_Dude, tinman, riko and 1 other person like this.
  11. photojoe

photojoe Member

I was a pretty big fan of T-Mac during his time here. Lots of memories of rooting for him when I was younger.

But he wasn't in Orlando or in Houston long enough without enough team success to deserve having his jersey retired in either city.

He has had his jersey retired already. That should be it for him.
    https://www.thescore.com/news/806890

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I actually thot that this thread might be about clutch selling the site

13. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

I still havent seen any videos of Tmac passing.

14. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

McGrady ceded the #1 jersey to Ariza upon his arrival.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

T-Mac can get a video tribute at Toyota Center celebrating his induction into the HOF, but that's about it

he doesn't have the accolades or accomplishments to get a jersey retirement

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

Hell naw to the naw naw naw

CometsWin likes this.
  17. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Harden wants to be a Rocket for life, he never came out and said that he wished he never left OKC. Harden has never made any comments that would suggest making the HOF is more important than winning championships.

Ultimately, Harden will be judged based on his full tenure here as a Rocket, which is still ongoing so his story isn't over yet. One thing is for sure though, Harden has a lot of catching up to do in the douchebag department if he wants to give Tmac a run for his money.

Os Trigonum and don grahamleone like this.
  18. don grahamleone

@Os Trigonum I.D.I.O.T.

Forget about retiring #1.. that should never happen... but when are we going to start talking about retiring Kelvin Cato's number? Accept add 'en' to the end, change that o to a 'd' the t to an 'r' and that uppercase C should probably be an 'H'.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Hmm? This went way over duders head here. Did you just call Os, I.D.I.O.T and if this is some special club that you guys have going how do I join it?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. don grahamleone

Ha, yeah.. It Deserves Its Own Thread. @heypartner coined it. It still makes me laugh every time I see it. Clever AF.