1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving traded for Isaiah Thomas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by alexcapone, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Why were the celtics so vocal about the hip injury? Saving face with the fans is never worth the possibility of giving up extra assets.

The reason cleveland doesnt seem to be opening things up i think is because the celtics straight up said you want to cancel the deal we can. Its up to you. Cavs backed off.

Thats ainge for ya

Vivi likes this.
  2. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I think Cleveland will try to cancel trade unless they can get Tatum. Could see the celtics then trying to offer brown instead. Either way the ball is in Clevelands court.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

In the aftermath of issues resulting from Isaiah Thomas' physical examination on Friday, the Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics are planning a telephone call for Saturday to discuss the status of the teams' blockbuster trade, league sources told ESPN.

The proposed deal sending Cleveland's four-time All-Star guard Kyrie Irving to the Celtics for Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and a 2018 first-round pick via Brooklyn has been thrust into uncertainty with medical questions surrounding Thomas' injured hip, league sources told ESPN.

It is possible that Cleveland could request further compensation from Boston before it'll approve the trade, league sources said. Cleveland has until Thursday to make a final decision on approving the trade, sources said. Cleveland can veto the deal based on a failed physical, sending players back to their respective teams.

Thomas took the exam in Cleveland on Friday before flying back home to the West Coast, league sources said.

"It's very sensitive situation," one source involved in the process told ESPN.

Irving, who had requested a trade from Cleveland, is set to take his physical with the Celtics on Saturday, league sources said.

Thomas has been rehabilitating a hip injury that ended his season in the Eastern Conference Finals, and sources have told ESPN that the All-Star guard has yet to begin a regimen of running this offseason.

Boston general manager Danny Ainge, when asked if Thomas' injury played a part in making the trade for Irving, told reporters: "Some."

Brown Lost It and Vivi like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If I was cle, I'd wonder how much more punishment that scrappy shorty can take in the regular season

**** Boston and their fans

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't think the Cleveland GM had this mindset when doing this trade; but think about how toxic he made his top competitor's locker room in his conference if he decides to nix this trade and send Jae and IT back to Boston.
    Yes they're all professionals and are still getting paid, but ask Ray Allen if it affects the team.

malakas likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Cavs doing what they can to squeeze another 1st round pick out of Danny Ainge. Smart.

Nook likes this.
  9. OTMax

OTMax Member

This is ridiculous. A trade should just not be announced or finalized before everybody passes their physical. Now things just get messy and no way should Celtics give up even more.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can either team invoke the longstanding, sacred method of "takesies-backsies?"

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Asian Sensation

I wanna see IT stay in Boston just for the awkwardness.

If the trade does move forward I hope Cavs get one more of the following.... another 1st rd pick, Tatum or Brown.

Brown Lost It likes this.
  13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Cleveland already looking like the loser in this trade. How much more abuse can Thomas' body really take in the NBA?

If you think the Brooklyn pick is the silver lining here, then you're wrong. The draft is a total crapshoot. You draft a top pick hoping someday he can turn into a Kyrie. You don't trade a Kyrie for another go at the roulette table.

Cavaliers should have stood ground and not cave into this soap opera. Tell LeBron and Kyrie to work it out. If LeBron leaves, which he most likely is going to anyway, you still keep Kyrie, possibly trade Love, and move on with your franchise.

el gnomo and da_juice like this.
  14. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I concur, just makes sense !

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm surprised more teams don't take advantage of this "loophole." Basically the Cavs ****ed the Celtics. All their team doc had to do is fail IT. There's not an independent exam. Now the Cavs can ask for whatever they want (ex. more picks) and if the Celtics balk, oh well good luck taking IT and Crowder back.

One East challenger down.

Easy likes this.
  16. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I don't know if the Cavs would do that considering they got a nice haul or Kyrie Irving

el gnomo likes this.
  17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

This. I don't think Dan Gilbert was playing 4d chess here.

I believe teams operate in good faith. The first time a team was thought to have purposely f'd a deal like that, and nobody would deal with them. Hardly worth the risk over an opponent you were going to beat anyways.

18. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

If I'm the celtics at most I'd throw in a2nd rounder or they can go **** themselves

el gnomo likes this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, I don't believe the trade would be rescinded. The two teams would look bad/stupid. And imagine Isaiah Thomas going back to Boston; he'd never suit up, and the Celtics would take a nose-dive. We'll see if Cleveland can squeeze something else from Danny Ainge.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i think both teams have everything to lose here if they rescind the trade.

For Boston would be bad to get back Thomas and Crowder at this point (Crowder was already pissed at Boston fans for them wanting Hayward there last season). At the same time for the Cavs would be basically impossible to get a package like Nets 1st plus Crowder, Zizic...and reports were always saying that they were looking for young pieces and picks for most so...that's the perfect package for them.