1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sucks. Zach Britton made sense on so many levels, including being controllable for another year.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Buddy texted me the deal was Whitley + 2 other prospects for Britton that got vetoed.

I.... am suddenly OK with the veto. My man-crush on Whtiley lives on.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Member

4. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry, but your buddy is wrong.

5. LongTimeFan

Trust me, I tell him that every day :)

He gets his info from those Houston FB groups -- claims this one came from Pat Starr, which doesn't make much sense as he covers the Texans. Searched his twitter and saw no mention of it.

Nook likes this.
  6. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Exactly my point yesterday. Dealing away top prospects at the trade deadline absolutely hurts in the long run and doesn't even guarantee success in the short run. After years of depleting the farm system the Astros got to fully experience this not too long ago.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Care to enlighten? :)

8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

So, I guess Keuchel has no idea what he is talking about?

Nook and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  9. LongTimeFan

Certainly looks angry doesn't he. I feel ya, Dallas.

Nook likes this.
  10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Yikes. Keuchel beats to his own drum but I cannot imagine he is the only player in the clubhouse that feels this way.

Nook likes this.
  11. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

You better hope Whitley is the next kershaw. We said the same thing about Martes and look at him now. It will be two years before Whitley is called up. By then Keuchel is gone probably.

12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I saw someone say on Twitter, "at least we will have the prospects to trade for Keuchel's replacement in 2019."

Ouch.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Obviously it's to be expected that a lot of players are disappointed with not bolstering the team with additional help. But what does that mean exactly? Are they not going to play as hard? Are they going to give up the season? Nope. Their resolve will be to believe in each other and continue to try and be the best team in the American League and win the World Series.

McCullers and Beltran both said this team is good enough to win when asked about it yesterday. You have guys in the background yelling 16 game lead when Lance is being asked about not making a big trade. This is a confident bunch. They wanted a boost, as did we all, but now their going to need to get it in house.

Nook likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. plee

plee Member

I think two of the trades, Sonny Gray and Yu Darvish, which would have been within the division so there was probably a lot of apprehension on both sides to pull the trigger. I think what was left from the Astros side was meh...

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. conquistador#11

damn dallas, tell us how you really feel. 2003 management would have shipped you off for being that vocal. I agree though and I'm right there.

18. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

I don't blame him one bit. I can I understsnd his frustration when you see guys like Sipp, Feliz, Hoyt and others that's just can't do their job just giving up HR.

19. Malaya

Malaya Member

If we don't win the WS in the next two years, Dallas and George will leave in FA. Crane doesn't seem to plan on paying them big bucks. Maybe he'll pay either Altuve or Correa, not both. Man, it'll be like rebuilding the team again.

In that scenario, who'll want to stay?

Dallas said what the other players are feeling but don't dare say. FO, are we here to win it all or just to contend every year?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Established players, let alone team leaders/stars generally hate front office decisions that favor prospects in low level A ball over the current MLB team.

Granted, I do feel they were prepared to deal yesterday... just didn't work out. I'm not as upset as I previously was when there was a smattering of "we're good enough as is, and our prospects are too good to give up" going around.

Its still disappointing, and Dallas being an ultimate competitor (which is a good thing) isn't going to mince words or Biggio it for the soft Houston media.

BigM likes this.