1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Knicks committed to completing deal with rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 18, 2017.

1. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Thomas seems like he'd be more sympathetic to Carmelo's plight and obliging to his wishes.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

4. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Potato Krillin continues to calm and reassure me.

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

6. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Can someone else post the filipino krillin tweet? Don't think I got it the first 3 times.

7. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Just waiting for him to deliver a destructo disc of information

DonKnock and HoustonCRT like this.
  8. jefforoni

jefforoni Member

Is gather energy for the spirit bomb of the summer

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking you are mixing him up with Ian. @justtxyank says Isola is connected to Melo people.

justtxyank likes this.
  10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Different people are reliable for different things. Key thing is to understand the context. As @justtxyank and others explained, Isola isn't liked by most NYK fans... but that's typically because he's not a sunshine pumper and often takes (or at least considers) the opposing side in disputes involving the team. When this happens, I think we all know there are people in every "fanbase" that will scream "FAKE NEWS!!!" in an effort to give a blanket discredit to anything that messenger says related to whatever they're supporting.

I do agree Isola probably isn't favored by the Knicks' brass, but the idea that the lead NBA writer/columnist for the NYDN and a frequent ESPN TV contributor is just making up 100% bullshit and earning six figures is naive and ridiculous. (Not accusing you of this at all, but there are a lot of Knicks fans that have convinced themselves of this, and the same dynamic plays out in politics all the time.) The reality is that in most stories, there are at least two sides, and Isola isn't telling their preferred narrative. In this case, it's pretty clear that Isola is in tight with Melo's camp. That doesn't mean I 100% trust him to get every detail right, but I do trust Isola to accurately report Melo's current mindset -- and given his NTC and the mini-freakouts some have had in recent days over CLE, POR, OKC, etc., that's at least 50% of the story. Perhaps more, given the NTC.

In all, there are basically 3 sides of this story: the Knicks, Carmelo's camp, and the Rockets. I think Woj, Shams, Shelburne, Haynes, and Lowe are the most likely to be plugged in on MULTIPLE sides. There are others like Isola, Feigen, Begley, and others (I'd even throw Potato in here) that are well-sourced on one, maybe two sides, but probably not all. Then, of course, there are the nonsense folks like Schultz, Amico, Vescey, etc. that have a proven track record of just trolling for clicks.

My outlook is that unless they have a proven history of falling in that latter group (i.e. trolling), keep an open mind but just consider the context. Basically, they're telling one side of a complicated story -- and even if it's accurate, it may or may not move the needle in terms of a transaction actually materializing because it depends on exactly how the other sides respond. So, long story short, that's how I'd look at the "sources" here. I'm not taking everything Frank Isola says as gospel, but I do think he's useful for telling one particular (and very important) part of the story. Make sense?

Deuce, Rockets2K, MghtyPtrck and 18 others like this.
  11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The timeframe thing always seemed silly to me.

I discounted that stuff right away. Either the deal is done or it isn't.

napalm06 likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This about sums it up.

I forgot to mention that I consider Potato to be very reliable in terms of what Melo is thinking/has been told.

14. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

When I joined, you had to pay to get in. I don't think it started that way but fairly soon became pay to play

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think Solomon is a great comparison, actually. Jerome isn't really my style, and I was critical of him last week over that ridiculous tiff he got into with Daryl. That said, you can disagree with someone and still respect them (as I do with Jerome). He's in the position he's in for a reason... and if he reports something, it's ridiculous to just immediately assume that the entire thing is 100% FAKE NEWS!!! or lies or whatever. Reality is that we all have our biases, and if it's somewhat well known like the Isola case, just try the best you can to frame it as one side of a complex story. Still useful info, and especially so in the Carmelo case, given the NTC.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

As i have said,

Potat Head COnfident = Clutchfans should stay COnfident

He da real MVP of the off season

macho GRANDE and DonKnock like this.
  17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Potato bomb

DonKnock and thedreamsteam like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right. I'm not a fan of the style where you constantly point out the worse case scenario, etc. but they are still established journalists and they do have connections. Normally guys like that get connections to players because the organizations won't give them anything. They get info by taking the players back in some disputes or something.

The Cat likes this.
  19. rockets13champs

If there is some sort of Melo to hou and Kyrie to NY deal Frank Ntilikina cannot be dealt until August 3rd by the 30 day rule

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member