1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Sci Fi Cinema] Steven Spielberg's 'Ready Player One'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 22, 2017.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Based on the 2011 novel. Lots of 80s nostalgia.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

For someone who hasn't read that books, it looks ridiculous. It was like that Wrinkle in Time trailer, they throw all this stuff onscreen expecting us to know the material.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Uhhh... why would I go to a movie theater and pay $ to watch someone else play a video game?
    I can do that free online or on Youtube, but somehow, except of course for Mr. L Jenkins, I still never do it.
    Also... get off my CGI lawn!

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Looks cool.

5. Steve_Francis_rules

I really liked the book. I'll definitely watch the movie.

bobmarley likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I liked the book quite a lot also.

This though uggghhh. It just looks too safe and mainstream. Spielberg is probably just too old to do anything risky or edgy at all.

Oh well. I'll still watch it. It's hard for me to resist watching a movie if it's based on a book that I like.

bobmarley likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Virtual Reality movies seem to struggle, probably because they are in fact to open ended, but I did like Inception which took the concept biological. Matrix of course lit it up. It will be interesting to look at another vision of the future of Virtual Reality, but I'm not sure where they can take it. Spielberg likes to connect human relationships to inanimate objects, so the gaming angle may be the story. A boy and his system.

And Westworld keeps sending me emails to come to the park.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Loved the book. Obviously they will take liberties with the story (which is obvious from the trailer) but I hope they can capture some of the books magic

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

make a Snow Crash movie. Would be better.

Entropy and B-Bob like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's held up well, hasn't it? I think it could make a good film in the right hands.

Otherwise, on topic, y'all are making me want to give the book a try. (Still not into the preview too much.)

bobmarley likes this.
  11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I really need to read this book. Iron Giant got me hype

12. Buck Turgidson

That preview tried its best to give me a seizure, but the book is pretty awesome.

bobmarley and B-Bob like this.
  13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Too much talking in the beginning, but otherwise looks promising. Hope Speilberg can pull it off cause the book was fun.

bobmarley likes this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

so what's this about? a kid plays video games to which he was overwhelmed at the end?

B-Bob and bobmarley like this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Is this basically the South Park Make Love, Not Warcraft episode on a theatrical scale?

Looks like fun, though i wonder how annoying or difficult it will be to spot all the pop culture/characters when the camera cuts so fast. Maybe it was just for the trailer, but i have a feeling it will be the same in the film. Basically leaving it to the audience to find all the character easter eggs. Unless i'm way off and the book readers know what to expect?

16. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I saw so many references from the books in this trailer. Also love they used the Willy Wonka song, I guess that means that makes it in the movie.

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

In a nutshell, it's about an 80's themed scavenger hunt/race for the key to the VR internet. The book is amazing, BTW.

Jontro likes this.
  18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"Tom Sawyer" by Rush figured prominently in that trailer. In other words, throngs of Rush fans will watch just because they used the song if for no other reason. I pledge to watch this film some point down the road just because they are using a song from a band I love but only if the song factors into the film / movie soundtrack and not just the trailer. Thank you. ;)

19. Buck Turgidson

Are they all going to take the same bus to the movie theater?

I keed, I keed.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

IIRC the music of Rush showed up pretty significantly in the book as a major plot device.