1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. conquistador#11

I mean you can do this with almost any batter but damn Bregman has been robbed out of seven sure hits, which would put his average right around .280 ish. I thought that avg would be stellar for his SECOND season, with the walks he gets only sano or jose-ram would have a higher on base % for 3rd basemen.

these fans are not seeing the big picture. I want a trade as much as anyone but no way do they send him away nor should they.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Boston has yet to face Keuchel or McCullers. Cleveland faced each once (Keuchel won, McCullers lost)

the shark likes this.
  3. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

With the Tigers facing a major rebuild, you'd think that Luhnow had to place a call in about Michael Fulmer. That's one guy I'd be willing to let go of several of our prized assets, including Fisher, Tucker and Martes. And that would accelerate the Tigers rebuild by probably 2 years.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Can't see the Tigers moving Fulmer already. That would be silly. He could fetch a package like the one you described in 2 years if they haven't rebuilt properly around him by then. They'd be much smarter to get what they can for Verlander if they're dumping guys

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fangraphs has started its trade value series for guys with highest trade value even though almost all of these guys won't be traded. No Astros on honorable mention or 41-50. I'm guessing the Astros have the most guys in the Top 40 (Correa, Altuve, Springer, Keuchel, McCullers, and maybe Devenski [thought he would be in HMs]).

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would think Bregman would be on the list. I doubt Devenski is on it. But the other 5 guys you listed probably will be. I won't be shocked if Keuchel doesn't make it since he only has 1 year of control left.

7. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

They won't get any quality prospects for Verlander. No team in the league wants to pay him ~$70M over the next 2.5 years. He's the same age and pitching worse than Scott Feldman, who is only owed $1.5M. Tigers have so many bad contracts that they can't move. The problem with waiting to move Fulmer is if he regresses or gets injured. The Tigers are going to be horrible for 3-5 years, it would be a mistake not to move him while his value is high and accelerate their rebuild (similar to the White Sox moving Chris Sale). That being said, their management has not yet appeared to accept the fact that they're entering a major rebuild, so I also doubt he'll be traded this year.

8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

If media reports are to be believed and the Tigers are trying to land major prospects while absorbing none of Verlander's salary, they're insane. If they agree to eat his salary, then they could get a nice haul. If they don't, then they won't get much but will at least have him off of their books. Demanding elite prospects while not taking on any salary is pretty much the dumbest thing their front office could do.

CrushCity likes this.
  9. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I question whether Verlander is worth trading for even if the Tigers eat all of his salary. While he's had a few good outings this year, he's gotten absolutely shelled several times. I don't believe he'd be an improvement over Mike Fiers. But I do agree that the Tigers are crazy if they think someone is picking up his outstanding salary and trading prospects.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I forgot to add Bregman. Keuchel or Devenski not making list wouldn't surprise me as I expected both on the HM list.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Update from Heyman mentions Chicago is still asking for both Tucker and Martes for Quintana (and Torres and Frazier from NYY). No thanks.

I'd probably give up both for DeGrom. But otherwise Tucker is off the table for any pitcher who's been mentioned to be available.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  12. The Stig

The Stig Member

A very long shot but do we have a chance for Marcus Stroman? What's it going to take to acquire someone like him?

texans1095 likes this.
  13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The situations are entirely different. Sale, while on a "bargain" contract, was 28 years old and making 12M/season for 3 years, after which he was unrestricted. Fulmer is 24, under control for 4.5 more seasons--2.5 of which are going to be insanely cheap. And is likely to be willing to sign an early extension if they want to offer it to him, which could be in the range of Sale's money (or the equivalent of that later on).

It would not be a mistake to hold on to a piece that could be the center of your rebuild, similar to the Astros and Altuve. Sure, Fulmer could get hurt. So could the prospects they get back. So far, he seems like a 24 year old top of the rotation kinda guy...just doesn't make sense to move that type of guy until at least his 4th year--if at all

14. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Marcus Stroman is at the top of my wish list.

texans1095 likes this.
  15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

My favorite is how ppl would rather trade him than Tucker due to Tucker's potential. Did we forget that just a year ago it was BREGMAN's potential that was untouchable? Ppl are just enamored with what could be. We have one of the youngest teams in the league, trade not yet MLB talent for proven MLB talent and lets win now AND future.

jim1961 and body slam like this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Verlander is an interesting target, but he'll make more sense in the offseason. His issues seem primarily control, not velocity, so most likely he is hurt or having a mechanical problem. These things can be fixed, but something that could take an offseason to fix.

17. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Member

I'm sure they will want to at least start with Tucker, but wondering if they would go for a pitcher heavy package built around Whitley, Martes or Perez and Fisher.

That would still leave us with Tucker, Martes or Perez and Bukauskus coming in at the top of our prospect list. Plus Stroman in the rotation through 2020.

The Stig likes this.
  18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Nothing to add other than to say that Stroman would definitely make the best "bad pun" headlines. He's by far my frontrunner.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Do you think the Yankees would trade Judge for Aoki? I'm a big fan of Aoki, but Judge is a very slight improvement as a 9th hitter.

texans1095 likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Personally, I think a package of K Tucker, F Perez, Y Alvarez, and a lotto pitcher (like Alcala or Javier) would be close enough in value to what Boston gave up for Sale that a package like that should be able to land a guy like DeGrom. Sub Martes for Tucker and it should still be enough for Gray or Quintana.