1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC Advice] Need a new Rig

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Mar 14, 2017.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Been doing just fine on the open road but every now and then a dude needs new **** to brighten up his day when kicking maje ass in the underworld cracks of the global virus binge habit.

Anyhoo.

I needs a need rig. Looking for a workhorse not a Ferrari. Don't care what it looks like. Just needs to have the balls underneath where it counts.

I need to do massive level research. I will need to have 30-40 Chrome tabs going at all times.

I'm trying to be more of a spendthrift on this so I'm thinking loose budget $500.

I'm thinking moderate power consumption, juiced here, leveled out here, etc.

Talk to me thou geekly gaggle.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

what will give you a balanced profile

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Anything you can pull from current machine. Or you'd rather keep that running? Sounds like you might have a quality graphics card that you can pull from current machine? I wouldn't bother pulling anything else, unless you have a top-end, gaming rig power supply.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How much RAM do you need when "researching" 30-40 p*rn sites?

daywalker02, Yung-T and heypartner like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, Ryzen might be worth looking at, haven't been impressed w/ gaming benchmarks but the multicore/thread performance is impressive in early benchmarks for desktop/actual work stuff (which he wants). I think another option is looking at i5 from 2 years ago w/ Heavy OC (because you can) or maybe even an i3. Then get 8-16gb ram. In my experience these newer Intel integrated video chips are great for desktop but obviously not gaming. Then get an SSD. Can't go back to non-ssd system no matter what what says... "hey guys I have an awesome system bottlenecked by a 5400 rpm drive....."

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lastly.. While a bit older.. If this comes back in stock.. Great deal and just add an SSD and reinstall OS. https://hardforum.com/threads/hp-z4...650-8gb-win-10-250gb-hdd-350-shipped.1926002/ 6 core Xeon, obviously Sandy Bridge but you can even add a gpu later and play just about any game near max. CPU market is so silly atm... GPU seems to be only super relevant change in last few years, and if you do end up needing it for rendering offload it to a gpu, cpu market is slow....even w/ new offerings vs gpu's

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

AMD still sucking all the power these days? Didn't realize they were even bothering any more. Ryzen looks like a decent lower-end build. I'm just not an AMD guy. Can't **** with it.

Been using a Lenovo with a lower-end i7 and it handles fine but only 4GB RAM and shitty on-board graphics. I can bump it to 8GB but that isn't going to be quite enough for the punishment I'm going to be doling out.

Not a PC gamer, so a 120SSD is fine to boot OS. 1TB internal is like $46 these days.

I guess this will boil down to whats a decent low end GPU I can throw in this thing that will be a workhorse until I have the ability to upgrade.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

You need to figure out where your bottlenecks are located: RAM, CPU, motherboard, etc.

4 GB of RAM is unacceptable: you should have upgraded to 8 GB long ago, either with a new unit or additional memory sticks. You should try that now, unless you know that RAM is not your bottleneck.

If you really need a lot of RAM, remember that is cost like $5 for one hour of use on one of Amazon's 200+ GB machines.

11. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I was recently thinking it was time for a new laptop. Decided to upgrade to SDD from HDD about a month ago. What a difference! The old laptop is humming along like it's new.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You should be using Edge.

moestavern19 likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly, in some cases it's actually faster than a brand new machine that has a mechanical drive.

14. Anticope

Anticope Member

Pentium G4560 is the new budget king, I'll be putting together a build with it this weekend actually.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Going to skip a new rig and upgrade the Laptop instead. Found out I can put 16GB in it. Gonna throw in that and an SSD.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, SSD is probably one of the biggest/most meaningful upgrades I've seen in years where you actually notice/see instant results. Other than GPU upgrades, or the time I went from 4MB (yes.. Megabyte) to 8 MB ram... I can't recall a time that one part changed everything. It'll be like a new computer.

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

750ti is kinda the classic baseline super-low power consumption card that can actually kinda run things. It's not gonna do 4K gaming or run Witcher 3 at max settings or anything. But it'll do the job. The 1050/1050ti is the more recent version of the same concept if you want to spend just a bit more.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

For $500 you are going to want to salvage as many parts as possible from your previous build.
    Upgrading your CPU will be the biggest hit to your budget. Because that automatically means new Mobo + New CPU + New RAM.

19. likestohypeguy

It's a clean rig.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The 1050 ti is pretty interesting. I typically go 70/80 series but with how little I've been playing I probably could have gotten a 1050, haha. I dunno I always just like to have everything cranked, hopefully I can play a lot soon. Basically built a decent rig but haven't used it