1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will home prices in Austin increase faster than home prices in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jet036, Mar 6, 2017.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm in RR, but even here my house value has increased decent amount in last 10 years thanks to lucky location (relatively close to North Austin, like across the street :) ), . Almost a 67% increase in value. I don't know if it'll continue but it's been decent so far.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Depends where oil pricing is. Generally I would say Austin though. Also depending on oil prices, the stretch of Texas from San Antonio - Austin might potentially increase the most %-wise.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Manor has a lot of cheap land and it's close to downtown.

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Austin for sure. Houston can still always expand elsewhere from where you said you'd invest.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Nobody wants to live in Manor. You also need to take a toll road to get into Austin. It is the closest and cheapest you can get to Austin, though.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah... Manor is okay I guess for the price but I dunno... I kind of prefer North Austin/RR area vs that, but obviously a lot more expensive, W/ the expansion out to Manor/Elgin it'll be interesting what prices do that way even w/ 290 becoming partial toll. I mean expansion that way has been crazy

7. Duncan McDonuts

Most of the East Austin residents are moving out there because property taxes from gentrification are pushing them out of the city. Their ISDs are terrible and it's going to be a while before families will want to move out there by choice.

North Austin and its suburbs are definitely where the middle class new construction families are choosing to find residences.

If we're looking for investment properties for rentals, I'd pick somewhere in East Austin around 183. With the highway development, I think it'll appreciate well.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, for rental/investment that should be solid.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lakeway and Bee Cave blowing up too

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I apologize. You are absolutely right.

DON'T MOVE TO AUSTIN!
    IT SUCKS!
    IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE!
    THERE BE CAVES, PEOPLE!
    DANGER!!!

11. tinman

Supporting Member

People in San Francisco are buying houses in Austin.
    I know this for a fact.

12. Buck Turgidson

Yep, it's interesting how the Cali/NY/Midwest crew moved to Austin because it was different and then changed it into the places they came from.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah there is that small portion of 290 that you have to take that is a toll road now, but it's fast. It is faster from Manor to downtown than it is from my house in the Arboretum to downtown. Granted if you have kids there is no reason to move out there, but if someone wants to buy land as an investment it is interesting.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yup massive developments going in out there. The developers of the Woodlands are building a huge community out there now.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

In and out burger growth indicates California refugees

16. Buck Turgidson

Keep Austin in Austin, please. There's already too many Master Planned Communities out this way.

17. Duncan McDonuts

For sure, it's the best place to buy acreage close to Austin.

I think it really depends on what kind of investment OP is looking for. Is he looking for land? Then buy in Manor. Is he looking for a rental investment? Buy cheap in East Austin while it's developing. Is he looking to buy a primary residence and sell in 10 years? Then Lakeway or Bee Caves is good.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

While I go down to Austin every-so-often, I'm not that familiar with how it's built out. Can somebody tell me if there are certain areas that are like the "tech" areas or are they pretty much scattered about? I'm talking about concentrations of companies that deal more in software development more than in hardware/chips/fab, etc.

*EDIT* : Also, if you guys are familiar with the DFW area, what areas down there are similar to Plano, Frisco, Southlake, etc. up in Dallas?

19. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Lots of crime? Seriously? I didn't see much activity on crime maps.

20. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Ya, that sounds about right. North much better than south though.