1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

David Carr not playing next Sunday...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Uprising, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

David Carr's high ankle sprain is more serious than the Texans thought last Sunday. It turns out the Carr will not play in next Sunday's home game.

(Heard this from CH.13 News)

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not as bad as originally thought.

Oct. 28, 2003, 8:59AM

Carr unlikely to go Sunday
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The NFL ... go figure.

Last year, David Carr was hit more than a piƱata at a birthday party when he was sacked a record 76 times, but he bounced back from every blow and never missed a snap.

Fast forward to 2003, when Carr has been among the most well-protected quarterbacks in the NFL, and it's difficult to make rhyme or reason of the sight of him navigating the underbelly of Reliant Stadium on crutches.

An MRI exam Monday turned out better than the original diagnosis of a high right ankle sprain, but Carr is still listed as doubtful for this weekend's game against Carolina, making it a near-certainty his string of 23 consecutive starts for the Texans will end.

"They believe it was just a regular ankle sprain instead of a high ankle sprain," said Carr, who was hurt Sunday at Indianapolis. "On the MRI, you could see a lot of fluid, but they think that once the swelling goes down, they'll be able to tell more. The swelling is what is keeping me from doing anything as far as putting weight on it. The swelling should go down pretty soon."

Carr is not ruling out playing Sunday at Reliant Stadium. His more realistic target date for a return to the starting lineup is Nov. 9 at Cincinnati.

"They're telling me it's day-to-day," Carr said. "But to me, day-to-day is as fast as humanly possible. The biggest things for me right now are prayer and ice. It feels better than it did (Sunday). A lot of people have called and told me they're praying for me to get back out there, and that's always a good thing.

"I'm trying to play this week. You know how I am. But if you ask (Texans head trainer) Kevin (Bastin) that, he'll probably just laugh at you. I definitely want to play this week, but I have to be smart about it. I want to be 100 percent when I come back. I'll be very, very surprised if I'm not back by the Cincinnati game."

Eight-year veteran Tony Banks will start against the Panthers, and rookie Dave Ragone will be the backup. The Texans will discuss the possibility of re-signing veteran Mike Quinn, their No. 3 quarterback in 2002 and the man Ragone beat out for a roster spot during training camp, but coach Dom Capers said he was inclined to go into the game with two quarterbacks.

"Jabar Gaffney is our secret weapon," Capers said half-jokingly.

Gaffney, a receiver by trade, played quarterback in high school and has completed one of two passes for 39 yards and a touchdown on trick plays with the Texans. Obviously, Capers is hoping it doesn't come to that and putting his trust and his offense in the hands of Banks, who has started 75 career games, including eight with the 2000 Baltimore Ravens, a team that won the Super Bowl.

"Tony has played a lot of football, so he's been out there before," Capers said. "It helps if you get a full week of practice. We'll start out Wednesday with Tony taking most of the reps, and Dave Ragone will get the backup reps.

"David will be doubtful for this week. We've done all the tests, and we're treating this as just a typical ankle sprain. One of the things we're going to make sure is that we want him to be well when we put him back out there. David is a competitor, and he'll want to come back. How he responds will determine how he comes back."

Carr re-entered Sunday's game after injuring his ankle. He led the Texans on a 79-yard scoring drive but reaggravated the injury on a one-yard touchdown pass to tight end Billy Miller.

"The doctors talked me into coming out of the game," Carr said. "I couldn't put any pressure on it, and that wasn't fair to my teammates. The frustrating part about it is that last year we were trying to learn, and we weren't where we are now. We have players at every position now. We were up 14-3, and then this happens. It was frustrating."

Banks, 30, has started games for three different teams during his career, but because Carr had been such an iron man, the Texans have called on the backup quarterback just three times in two years, all this season. Banks completed seven of 11 passes for 51 yards and a touchdown Sept. 21 against Kansas City, and he took two snaps Oct. 12 at Tennessee.

Sunday saw Banks get his most extensive action. He completed 12 of 17 passes for 88 yards against the Colts, and his only interception came on a desperation pass on the last play of the game. For the first time, Carr found himself watching on a television in the locker room.

"I can't remember the last time I missed a game because of an injury," Carr said. "It might have been elementary school or maybe high school. I don't know, but it's been awhile. I'm going to do everything I can to get back out there as soon as possible."

3. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Sucks. I hope he gets better soon, I just have a feeling though that he will play this Sunday. What is up with the injuries this year? Payne, Walker, Glenn, and now Carr.....this better stop.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

The lack of depth the Texans have due building a team from scratch is being exposed. The team has a great starting 22 but behind them isn't much. Last year the Texans were very fortunate. To my knowledge they didn't have any major injuries, other than Tony Boselli which i don't count because he never played a down for us.

This past draft the Texans addressed their offensive needs. Come April, you better believe the Texans will be looking for that depth on defensive.

It's still a young team with lots of flaws that over the next 2 to 3 years will be resolved.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That sucks as I was just about to go buy a Red Carr Jersey...Oh well, I'll still buy it, but won't wear it this Sunday...

6. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

Wasn't Cato out for a whole season with a high ankle sprain?

7. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

It seems like the Defensive Line is where most of the injuries are. That is one reason why I don't like the 3-4 defense. It put to much pressure on the D-Line.

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

From "Fanball" - a fantasy football source:

Oct 28 Though the results of an MRI Monday were better than the Texans had originally anticipated, Houston quarterback David Carr will be listed as doubtful for Sunday's game against Carolina. Carr's injury was initially feared to be the dreaded high ankle sprain, but that turned out not to be the case. "They believe it was just a regular ankle sprain instead of a high ankle sprain," Carr told the Houston Chronicle. "On the MRI, you could see a lot of fluid, but they think that once the swelling goes down, they'll be able to tell more. The swelling is what is keeping me from doing anything as far as putting weight on it. The swelling should go down pretty soon." Carr said he is considered day-to-day, "but to me, day-to-day is as fast as humanly possible." Tony Banks relieved Carr during Sunday's loss to the Colts when Carr went to the locker room for X-rays. Carr returned to the game and threw a touchdown to Billy Miller, but rolled his ankle again on that play and Banks p! layed the rest of the game.

9. Remix

Remix Member

Damn, now we cant see Carr in the new red alternate uniform.:(

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

[​IMG]

is this guy

[​IMG]

this guy's illegitimate son,

They both throw a nice deep ball and fumble a lot. Think about it.

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Capers proably wishes Banks was as good as Moon. The Texans wouldn't be 2-5 thats for sure.