1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Corey Brewer appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 21, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Honestly, I'm so relieved about him not being on the court anymore yet at the same time saddened that he will not be on the team. If only he had been relegated to the occasional minute in garbage time, just a veteran locker room presence than I would've liked for him to have stayed. Either way, this guy is hands down one of my favorite people in the NBA and Rockets of all time because of his personality, hustle and smile. Also because my game is somewhat similar to his in making crazy shots and seemingly out of control.

I will always remember that 2015 season, his comeback run against the Blazers, his part in the Clippers come back and some of his crazy shots like the one to force OT vs. Blazers. I will hopefully forget the horrible things people here, including myself, have said about him because we were so frustrated he kept getting playing time even when he was just downright horrible. He hurt the team more often than not and honestly, we cannot fault him. He's older and that 2015 run was extraordinary since he was never a great shooter. He still worked his tail off and McHale gave him so much freedom to gamble on defense, I think he lost some magic there in getting steals, when to run or not etc.

All in all, the guy was great to have around and I really wish he would've played better. It's sad and refreshing at the same how he recognises if he had made more shots he would probably still be on the team, which is 100% true. If he had only shot the ball at a reasonable percentage, then he would be very valuable still. I'm sure it's hard on the guy, but I cannot deny I'm truly happy we got Lou Williams. I wish him all the best in LA and really hope he finds his shot there and can learn those young guys something. Thanks Corey Brewery (nothing negative intended)!

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I hope Brewer gets a big round of applause when he comes back to Houston.

He's really a great guy and an excellent teammate. He loves this franchise and city. Hearing his comments made me a little sad. The guy obviously did not want to leave Houston.

Really amazing locker room guy. Sad that it didn't work out with him on the court after his first year here.

But what a first year that was. He helped us fight through injuries to one of our best regular season records ever. On top of hat, he and Josh Smith helped catapult us to the WCF that year.

I maintain that if we didn't lose D-Mo and Bev to season ending injuries we would have gone to the finals that year. Brewer was a very big part of that.

I hope our fans can look past petty bullshit and really appreciate what an awesome Rockets player Brewer was.

No sarcasm: he is truly a consummate professional and I hope we can bring him back to Houston as an end of bench guy/locker room presence at some point. I honestly hope he retires a rocket.

All the best to you, Corey Brewer.

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

I always really liked him and wish him well. Truly seemed like a great guy.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Great post, I think fans will cheer big time for him!!! Return is 15th March, he better get a great video of his 2015 performance.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

As much as ppl **** on Brewer these last 2 years, I still like him as a player and person. He's always energetic and smiling. It's not his fault that Morey paid him big time after that game 6 performance. If he was getting vet min and garbage time minutes, I'd love him on this team. He's a good mentor for the younger players because of his enthusiasm. All the interviews he does off the court, he's always repped the Rockets very well and defended Harden and our other players. I hope he rebounds back in LA and doesn't get waived. He'd be a great 50 point scorer on a tanking team.

DonKnock and HoustonTexas like this.
  6. craguin

craguin Member

7. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Great trade Morey

Corey Brewer interview from a few weeks ago:

Some cool brewer moments

DonKnock and DreamShook like this.
  8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i will say this about Brewer...he is the ultimate team man, never complains about his role, never complains about getting minutes. Good to see he wants to try and take on a mentor role with the Lakers.

Vivi, No Chill Rocket and DonKnock like this.
  9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

seems like a really nice guy. ill choose to remember the better moments he had on the team.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I hope Corey Brewer doesn't retire a Rocket.

True Rocket likes this.
  12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Pics of broad? So we can judge if we want Corey Brewer to come back and retire a Rocket

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

From a laker forum....

How people don't love this trade is beyond me.

We traded a player who doesn't play a lick of D for a guy who's been a proven winner everywhere he's been. The guy bleeds winning. As a Florida Gators fan, he made so many huge plays that lead to the back-to-back National Championships. Yeah, he has a tendency to jack threes, for sure. But so does everyone else in the league these days. He's also a great dude and has phenomenal character. If you don't know the history with Corey Brewer and his Dad, look it up. And even with that, he still risked coming back to college to win a second consecutive title. He's athletic and could be a key piece for us going forward.

Not to mention we get a first round pick? Sign me up.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Corey Brewer is a great dude and can only be a positive for the Lakers. After all, they are a team with young guys who need to learn from a consummate professional and the want to lose. Brewer can help in both areas.

If Brewer could have ever figured out his 3 point shot and gotten it above 30% on a consistent basis he would have been amazing. A hustle player, a true professional, a good teammate...he was everything you want except he just couldn't shoot. I wish him the best.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So long, Corey Brewer
    Though we never knew you well at all
    You were the worst player on the floor
    Even though you played decent D

You couldn't hit the 3
    And were a disgrace offensively
    Though you never realized it
    Your offense burned out long before

Your shoe tread ever did

It seems to me that
    You were playing against the wind
    And couldn't find the lonely rim
    Always trying even when the boos set in

Would of liked to know you
    When your balls went in the rim
    But seeing your balls
    Clanking against the rim
    Your offense burned out long before
    Your defense ever did

"Corey Brewer Against The Wind" by Sir Surfguy

Seriously, though, he did good things for us but the last few seasons he hit a wall and the wall won. I'm hoping the change of scenery and mentoring the younger players in LA will be good for him. I can see him possibly rejuvenating his career if he gets more playing time. But, dang, he has been cold offensively forever. I honestly have no idea what happened there. He did bring tenacity on defense that will be missed. If he can ever figure it out again offensively, then he's a balanced, good player to have.

#116 Surfguy, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    DonKnock likes this.
  17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Corey Brewer was a really good guy and clearly loved our team. While we've been trashing him the past two years, I will never forget how instrumental he was in getting us past the Clippers and into the WCF. You my boy, Brew!

DonKnock likes this.
  18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

To the man we named a race track after in Texas City, thank you for your service! You're a scholar and a gentleman!

[​IMG]

DonKnock likes this.
  19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I remember when they interviewed Brewer after the first time Harden scored 50. He kept on saying how special it was to witness and be a part of it. He had this smirk on the whole time like he was waiting to talk about himself scoring 50 against the rockets, but he kept it about Harden and this game. I salute you Corey Brewer good luck in LA.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Yes, his shooting % has been down the last two years but still love Brewer as a player and wish him all the best. The guy could squeeze thru a crack for a layup :) Thanks for all your efforts for the Rox!

DonKnock likes this.