1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Palmer

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Remix, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Remix

Remix Member

I really dont want to see this guy here next season. Hes a conservative guy. Why be conservative when you have David Carr, Andre Jonhson, Corey Bradford, and Jabbar Gaffney? not to mention Damonick Davis.

I really dont like his play calling. Running the ball on a 3rd and 20?
    1 minute and 30 secs left with 2 timeouts, and they ran the clock down?

Why ingnore your first round draft pick 3rd overall?I hardly see Johnson making any big plays. I feel like there ingnoring him, catch 2-3 balls 1st quarter, then completely ingnore him unitl the 4th?

Hes made questionable calls down the stretch, dosent use our offense to our potential.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think all of you guys have been playing to much Madden.

3. Summer Song Giver

Yeah his calls are pretty bad sometimes.

4. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Why not be conservative at this point? It makes no sense to throw all caution to the wind with a second year franchise.

People seem to forget that although the Texans do have some pretty stout victories on their short tenure, they are still a YOUNG FRANCHISE. I can understand that they are tired of "moral victories", but at this point I'd be happy to see them take a step forward without taking three steps back during the games (a la STUPID penalties, etc.).

Besides, it's that same conservative style that puts them in a position to win EVERY WEEK, instead of getting blown out like everyone expects. I personally don't have a problem with Dom Caper's OR Chris Palmer's conservative style at this point, but in a couple of years (or even next year) it's going to get old.

HAVE PATIENCE.....

5. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Palmer is pissing me off lately. I couldn't stand that decision to punt yesterday with a few minutes left on FOURTH AND FOUR!Cmon' Capers/Palmer, what the f***!?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

chris palmer has never, ever, never been labelled conservative before. he was a freaking qb coach for a run and shoot team...but now he has limited talent that is just beginning to find itself. i understand concern about certain individual calls, but the texans are in games they shouldn't be in...and this year, that isn't a product of the defense.

7. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

What do you mean they are in games they shouldn't? Just because they are a second year franchise does not mean that they can win games. The Texans were killing the Jets because they came out guns blazing. Then we stoped, set on the ball with a poor defense, and got conservative on offensive. The Jets chipped away, Palmer didn't care, and the Jets won one the Texans should have. I can understand being conservative in the Colts game because Carr went down, but overall I have not been pleased with Palmer's play calling.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

ill-timed penalties, a lack of execution and zero pass rush doomed the texans against the jets, not chris palmer.

9. MadMax

it means they're far less likely to win games...it means they have zero depth because they've only had 2 drafts to address needs....it means that they started from scratch.

being in the game...leading in the game...against the freaking super bowl contending colts...on their home field...a team we never managed more than a FG against last year...is impressive from a team in its second year of existence.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

exactly.

what i'd much rather see this season is the Texans competing for the win every game, only to lose out. we're building a solid base so far, and another year of a top 5 draft pick will only make us that much better next year.

i was, and still am, completely cool w/ 2 or 3 losing seasons, acquiring some solid picks, and then kicking ass for years to come.

i'd say we're on the right path.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

The Texans have so many weapons maybe Palmer doesn't know what to do with them.

12. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

At least he's better than Greg Davis.

13. MadMax

do you have any idea of palmer's history in the NFL?

where in the world do you get that the offense is stocked with so many weapons that palmer doesn't know what to do with them?? man, i'm a huge texans fan...and i love the young nucleus we have...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

14. Sister Ray

Sister Ray Member

I am with you, MadMax. The Texans made some bad personnel moves (Charlie Clemmons is done) and have had some bad luck with injuries on the defensive side of the ball. I think the offensive squad has made some great strides. I think the playcalling has been up and down, but their line has improved and we suddenly look pretty solid at the skill positions.

The main thing is they lack depth on both sides of the ball. I agree with the earlier poster in this thread- there is no point in overachieving and getting to 7-9. The expectations wouldn't meet the talent base and they would likely remain in that mediocre range rather than be able to methodically build a championship team. They need a safety in the Roy Williams mold (doesn't everybody) and a monster defensive lineman. Charlie Kaserlet didn't know any of this, of course.... ; )