1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential Rocket Profile: Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 20, 2014.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It made sense in 2014, not so much in 2017

Yung-T and charlieaustin like this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

Stop it. NY has no offensive system right now. The triangle looks like the rectangle at times. He wouldn't be taking those shots here. First, MDA's system will give him better looks. Second, he's playing with another star BETTER than him so his looks will be a whole lot better here. As good as Anderson shoots, I'd trade his azz with the quickness for Melo.

Ramo$e and Yung-T like this.
  3. blackistan

blackistan Member

Agreed I hope Morey is at least looking into the possibility of getting Melo

Ramo$e likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Very astute observation. Reddick and Anderson are also good friends.

And NY "might" want to parlay Reddick into something else since he's expiring and maybe unlikely to resign there.

BUT.... who/what would NYK want from us? Reduce makes $7 million a year. Are you giving up Ariza, or Beverley for him to make salaries match? Willing to give up Montrezl? Obviously we'd give up brewer if they'd take him. Obviously we'd give them draft picks and any of Wiltjer, Onuaku, KJ, Ennis, etc. But that doesn't seem too enticing to me.

D-rock and craguin like this.
  5. JayZ750

Melo has already played in MDA's system. It didn't work. Why would it work now all of a sudden? And even if it would - because Melo has changed and would realize MDA, DM and Harden run the show here - its still a risk I can't fathom MDA putting his stamp of approval on. Why would MDA say "yeah, let me try that again"? He wouldn't. It's a non-starter, imo.

D-rock likes this.
  6. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

With due respect, terrible idea. Melo refused to defer to MDA's system when they were together in NYC. His refusal was the key reason why that experiment ended.

Now, you will likely reply, "But Harden is far better than Lin so Melo will be okay with letting someone else handle the ball," to which I would respond, "MDA's system is built on running the floor every possession, and moving the ball fluidly and quickly until an good, open shot can be had. Nothing Melo has shown in his game for the past 10 years indicates he can do that." You will no doubt try to use the Olympics as an example of Melo being able to defer to his teammates, but, come on, though Melo ceded shots to LBJ, Chris Paul, etc., do you really think he'll cede them to PBev?

We finally have a system with the right pieces to run it. I wouldn't add in someone whose game does not fit, and that includes Melo.

D-rock and Hoop like this.
  7. Hoop

Hoop Member

Don't like the idea. Blowing up our team for a selfish player. Every time a see Melo, there is no defense, slow lateral and elevation. Our team is build with young unselfish players that put an effort on defense. Don't think Melo would improve any of those things as he gets older. I consider him a starter, but not a star/superstar.

D-rock and Mathloom like this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

Because he's not the 1st option anymore. His responsibilities will decrease. Could you imagine Melo being the focal point when Harden sits? Could you imagine all the SPACE he'll have once the defense shifts over to Harden? The Rockets need another shotmaker and Melo is one of the best

9. hakeemthagreat

Me too. Melo is a ELITE superstar. You're essentially trading Anderson for a significant upgrade. It's a risk you have to take is IF the opportunity presents itself. I think for the 1st time Melo won't have the pressure of carrying a a team here. If Harden is your superstar, then what better option than Carmelo to play sidekick. It's a no brainer

10. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Rather have Butler than Melo tbh....

D-rock likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

C: Carmelo Anthony - Rockets have to at least make the call, right?

BT: Rockets are always interested in high end talent & will always do due diligence even if it's unlikely.

C: It's crazy to me...you have to talk about Anderson in that type of deal. Do you see any other way?

BT: No. Anderson would have to be included. Only other way would be Ariza, Brewer & other guys. It wouldn't be feasible. Anderson + something else for Carmelo would be the most likely or feasible way to get him under salary matching rules.

C: Carmelo is 32. I say this confidently but at the same time have a hard time believing the words coming out: I wouldn't do that deal. I'm not willing to trade Anderson for Anthony? I'm not. Anderson is a limited player but he's content playing this role. Camping out at the 3pt line & going for rebounds. Can Carmelo fit the Rocketball scheme? The ego & mentality isn't a fit for how well we saw this team playing earlier in the year & I'm not sure he fits.

BT: A lot to say about team chemistry. Anderson is a positive guy in the locker room. He's a big part why this team has gotten along. That said, Carmelo is extraordinarily talented. Not cut & dry you wouldn't do that trade. He opens up new dimensions to the offense Anderson can't. 'Melo is a good 3pt shooter, not quite Anderson's level but can score in a variety of ways. He'd be a nice small ball four. It's not like you're losing defense. Another factor besides on court fit is what do other players around the league think of the Rockets if they trade an outside FA they just signed? Does that hurt them in the eyes of agents & players? That has to be a factor.

C: I could see that. That could be viewed as a slap in the face & play into the rep Daryl has with some agents. I personally would not be going for Carmelo but you wonder about Anderson long term. $20M for what he does is high. You pay it because it fits your team but look at Ersan Ilyasova, he's doing similar things. You can get guys like that cheaper.

D-rock, Vivi, Yung-T and 3 others like this.
  12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I did not know Kellyanne Conway and Barron Trump are both such great NBA GMs.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No, if that were the case, "C" would have said, "I wouldn't do that deal because Carmelo Anthony is North Korean....What? That's not your job to say he isn't North Korean. Can you prove it? And what about the massive voter fraud that occurred during the NBA All Star voting. And why weren't they making these complaints before? The sky is purple. Up is down. Black is white and I need a sandwich and some sleep...."

D-rock likes this.
  14. JayZ750

What you are saying is what everybody was saying when the Knicks hired MDA. It just didn't work. Melo does not work well in systems like that. How do I know? because he hasn't worked well in systems like that - be it MDAs, or the Triangle.

On paper, it certainly sounds tantalizing. But hey, on paper, Harden+Dwight was a match made in heaven. And the last thing I'd like to see when Harden sits is a game run through Melo... again, because its a completely different style.

And yes, I get that Harden also does a lot of ISO ball, but even his ISO ball is within the confines of MDAs system.

Now look, don't get me wrong, Melo is still a talent, and someone should still be able to field a competitive team with him around. I can certainly see him working better on Cleveland than on the Rockets, for example.

Also, it still doesn't really answer the question on MDA's sign-off. Sure, he's a coach that recognizes talent and wants to win a ring. But there's no way I can envision him signing off on adding Melo to this team.

D-rock and craguin like this.
  15. Possum

Possum Member

Doesn't our Carmelo hate our coach?

16. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Keep in mind that NY would be taking Reddick for the potential cap relief. They would likely not be holding on to JJ beyond this season and are okay with that. I would love JJ here as well, but as I have said before I think he will have to be signed by Houston not traded for.

17. Lightsnowaction

I would do my best to keep Dekker at all costs.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

They hate each other!
    They could do without one another.

But Leslie and maybe to some degree Daryl, they love them some stars/BIG names!

19. craguin

craguin Member

From above article: ↑
    He also failed to get Knicks superstar Carmelo Anthony and former Laker great Kobe Bryant to buy into his coaching philosophy.

"Those guys didn't really fit how he wanted to play," said Morey, who wasn't concerned about Harden's meshing with D'Antoni. "So that tension [between a star player and his coach] went away when you had a guy like James Harden, who wanted to play like that."

#179 craguin, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  20. hakeemthagreat

But again he's never had the luxury of having a player who is better than him playing with him. Melo would be a 2nd option here, a role he has never played. As a 1st option I don't think he has the mental stability to lead. But as a 2nd option where his primary role will be to take pressure of Harden I think he'd be great fit. I think you're under selling Carmelo based off his role with the Knicks. We are not the Knicks. If we can get Carmelo by giving up Anderson, Brewer, KJ & trash then as a GM you gotta pull the trigger. Melo is not Dwight Howard. So when Harden goes thru one of his sleepwalking games, we could have another guy we can give the ball too. We're talking about 2 of the best scorers in the NBA playing on the same team.