1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ethernet question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 8, 2017.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

He was talking about this http://www.mocainyourhouse.com I haven't messed around with it, but it could work well as another option vs ethernet.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Default on the 2.4 is g/n and channel is 11 (1-11) range. Should I try switching just to N and just try different channels?

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I'd try forcing N, and then on channels could try 1 or 6, you might get lucky depending on how saturated wifi is in your area (like how many neighbors are using WiFi etc on the same channel).

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I forced N and tested and got about 75mbps, but then when everything else reconnected it jumped back down to around 20.

Switched to channel 4 and am getting 60-75 pretty consistently. We'll see how it goes.

Appreciate the tips!

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Glad to help!

6. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Check out the Netgear Orbi Wifi System. It's pricey, but it's totally solved my whole home wifi issues.

It's basically a tri-band wifi mesh type solution with two 5ghz signals and one 2.4. What makes it different is that one of 5ghz signals is a dedicated link between the router and the satellite. Other mesh systems share the same signals for broadcast and backhaul.

Check it out, there's plenty of reviews and videos online.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice, yeah I'm familiar with use, just haven't looked at adapters. Definitely a good option to consider. Personally I ran ethernet already in the house and am pretty into networking, but definitely could see this being a good option if you don't want to run ethernet.

9. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I've seen a few instances so far where the xfinity wifi speeds are awful in comparison to a standalone wireless router. If it doesn't seem to be a distance related thing, you may want to get a wireless router and bypass the Xfinity one, or run 5ghz on xfinity and 2.4ghz on the new one.

My brother went from about 15mb/s to around 175mb/s (I assume that's probably closer to 10 and 125 because of the boost thing they had in the past that inflates the numbers). He (I) shut off his Xfinity wireless and ran both 5ghz and 2.4ghz off the new wireless.