1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone live in or around the 77084 zip code?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jet036, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Thanks. Discovered that yesterday haha.

What's KB?

Ya, have been looking at Katy and 77095 - they seem like pretty nice areas that aren't too expensive. Have also been looking at the 77064/77065/77070/77040 areas. Anyone have any experience living in those areas?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

@Jet036 KB Homes is a homebuilder known for making shoddy homes (others may disagree, but I think most will agree with me). Their neighborhoods tend to be less than desirable.

I live in 77095. I like it. No real desire to leave. Sure, I wish I was closer to the heart of the city, but you can't have it all for sub-$200K. Zoned to a great elementary school, good middle school, and Cy Falls HS which is at least OK.

Of course, that cop (Goforth) did get shot and killed execution style a short walk from my front door. Soooooo there is that.

But with a good neighborhood, good schools, and decent commutes (both wife and I work in memorial area) it'll take a lot to get us to leave.

3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

77064 and 77040 is Jersey Village / Willowbrook Mall area.

• Pros
      • Location - you can get almost anywhere in a relatively short matter of time (with no traffic: Downtown or Galleria is 15 min from BW8 & 290).
      • Home prices - relatively on the cheap side.
      • Property Tax- pretty inexpensive

• Cons:
      • Flooding - about 3ft of water in homes in the years 1998, 2001, 2003, and 2016
      • Schools - I do not recommend sending your kids to Jersey Village HS. Possibly the worst school in CFISD and most inner city (however, Cy-Springs is pushing to be top worst school from what I've heard)
      • Restaurants - not a great selection of restaurants in the area. Although there is a Pappadeaux's
      • Traffic & Construction: 290 is still under construction. Several times have sections of the freeway or feeder been closed
      • Area in general - it's not getting better. Maybe in 15 to 20 years it'll be
      • Empty Lots - several neighborhoods, especially in 77040, have empty lots due to bulldozed homes from flooding
    I don't live in the area anymore, the choice was for a better life for my children. I do have rental property here, and the area has recently seen a boom in the rental market.

But if you're an empty nester, you should be fine. I would pick off of West Rd and BW8 in 77064, this is still relatively nice but can tip the scale as far as home prices. Just don't buy a home right off White Oak Bayou and you don't have to worry about flooding

#23 TMac'n, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Probably because 290 is the worst thing to happen to Houston other than Brock Osweiler

5. jae713

jae713 Member

Wohh.. man, 290 is not that bad.