1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Simms really likes Tom Savage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Now, I've never been a Simms fan, besides when he was a longhorn. I don't really value his opinions, and take them with a grain of salt. It's nice for this team to get some praise, but I think this video is all about him tooting his own horn, which he likes to do. Thought I'd share it, nonetheless.

2. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I really like Tom Savage too. I saw that he had what it took when he played the colts a couple years ago before he got hurt.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you suppose Rick and Bill didn't see enough in him before, that they felt Bob needed to invest 38 million in Brock? They never even considered him as someone they could develop with game time? At least Bill finally sucked up the mistake, but I hate that Savage got thrown in so late, when it is now sink or swim. That is of course if he continues to start. Stranger things have happened, so I'll believe it when I see it.

4. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The rumored reports right after signing Brock was that Bill O'Brian wasn't really on board. This was a Rick Smith and Bob McNair move; who know Gary Kubiac might have leaked bad info to Rick Smith so he'd swoop in and out bid them.

And Bill's comments about Brock not grasping the scheme, that they had to run only the plays that Brock liked. O'Brian hasn't been happy about Brock at any point upon his signing, or after preseason, through the season so far.

And yesterday, Bob McNair being quoted saying it's Bill's call who he plays at QB, takes the hadcuffs off Bill O'Brien. Hasn't it always been assumed that it's the coaches call, from the sounds of things, Bob McNair and Rick Smith are eating crow.

I think it's plausible Gary coaxed the Texans into taking Brock off his hands.

Red.Glare and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

oh my god chris. tone it down. jesus christ.

[​IMG]

Pen15clubber and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That was a really weird video.

Tha_Dude and Pen15clubber like this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There are no rumored reports that Bill wasn't on board.

He was fully on board, and he is the main decider on offensive personnel.

He was given huge influence over personnel since day 1. Rick is mainly a hands off GM.

8. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

It may be the "gutsy move" comment by McNair was more about BoBs ass on the line if subbing in Savage didn't work out! Brock has 20+ interceptions to this point so not really all that gutsy a move to me - just sayin.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Phil Simms wasn't a good quarterback and isn't a good commentator.

His son is somehow worse at both.

Richie_Rich and Two Sandwiches like this.
  10. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

Savage Should start the rest of the way he seems far better prepared then Brock ever looked

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Savage played well yesterday, but I have some concerns. First, he locked on to his primary receiver too often and was slow in progressing to his other reads. He's going to throw some picks if he doesn't do a better job of reading the field a little more quickly. He did do a better job of that later in the game, however, so I think nerves might have had something to do with it. Along with that, he was telegraphing his passes early. Fortunately, his accuracy was significantly better than Osweiler's has been all season, so even with his flaws it's pretty apparent that Savage is capable of running this team. It makes me wonder though how he has looked in practice, if he has had the same issues there, or if he has been better all along but has been held back due to the money being shelled out to Brock. I'm guessing that it's the latter, but at the same time it's pretty apparent that Savage is far from perfect at this point.

Two Sandwiches and Plowman like this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I've stated before how I'm friends with a player on the defense.

OB is a confirmed Savage supporter and was not the face inside the Brock signing as a certain John McLain reported.

I talked on another thread how Hop was a big Savage guy and I think you saw why yesterday.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Good assessment, and sadly that's still about 100x better than Brock has been this year. I was very impressed by Tom's pocket presence and delivery under pressure; let's see how he fares against a better team though.

Brock is just so severely flawed. The fact that guys like Hoyer, Mallett, and Savage can all find a way to get the ball to Nuk yet he can't is very telling.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Honestly, even if Savage is not the future answer at QB.. there is one GIANT intangible that he brings to the table... he may very well keep Hopkins from fleeing during FA.

15. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Well if he lays a turd during the Bengals game I could see them going back to Oz for the Titans game.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Tomorrow's game means almost nothing

I bet they let Savage air it out.

I think we should pray that Savage does very well as it gives teams tape that tells them to not put more men in the box.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's a difference between agreeing to try and make it work... vs. being completely sold that player x is the answer.

At no point is there any evidence that BOB was totally enamored by Brock and wanted him to be the main target in free agency. Frankly, I don't think BOB takes enough risks with his QB choices... he's gotten plenty of flack for that... and Brock represented a huge risk.

And while BOB does have a huge amount of influence in personnel, especially who sees the field, he's hamstrung "just enough" to allow situations where Brock is targeted/acquired by the front office without much influence from his side.

Something needs to come to a head regarding this in the offseason. Either get a GM who is completely in charge, or get a coach that is completely in charge. Also, so far, the GM/Owner FA signings (First Ed Reed, then Brock) need to stop.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It was the first meaningful game of his career. They will look at those near picks and how to correct those mistakes. Savage did more good things than bad at the end of the day, which is a good start to a young career.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, I thought that was the best development yesterday - Hopkins seemed to come to life. I dislike reading body language, etc., and Hopkins was very celebratory after the first Colts' win - but he has seemed... just... resigned for too much of this season; content to play it out. It definitely caught my attention that he looked more engaged yesterday with Savage.

20. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Well if you are certain Bill O'Brien wanted Brock here, then your in the know. If you know it's one thing, if you assume it's another thing.

I'd read plenty of flag reports saying, Bill wasn't totally on board.

And was it Bill wanting Brock, or him consenting to signing off on the signing of Brock. I'd want to know who was the catalyst who went after Brock in the first place.

Bill said about two or three weeks ago, about him being a young head coach and not having the disposable money to pay fines for being vocal against referees. This doesn't sound like a coach whose going to cause waves, just yet.

So if situation was Rick and Bob saying, "this is who we want, can you coach him," I figure Bill said sure, whatever you want boss. It was no secret Bill had been looking for his QB, and was having little success. It was already two years and no clear QB, front office probably interjected.

Good head coaches can coach anyone, but at which point taking on inferior talent, means accepting defeats with gumption, as staying on the good side of the owner.

Bob McNair is a loyal dude, Bill should be keen to this. Now Bob says, Bill can play whomever he feels like at QB. To me that says, the handcuffs are off.

And the search for a franchise QB isn't over. The carousel goes on.

Yaosthirdleg and Two Sandwiches like this.