1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas gone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houtho

Houtho Member

I am super confused with this whole situation

How much do we have to pay dmo (this season?)

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Nothing, he's a UFA now and can work the market with his BJ buddy.

DonKnock and Houtho like this.
  3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I guess he got what he wanted all along. I'm pretty disappointed how this whole situation played out. On the one hand I wish D-Mo would have bought in and committed when we matched, but I also somewhat wish Morey wouldn't have been so stubborn. The smart "positive EV" approach was to use our obvious leverage against D-Mo to save a bit but there is a human aspect to this. Was the extra couple of million really worth it? D-Mo could have been a solid rotation piece at least. Disappointing.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok, fellas. Glad it is over now.

Good for the Front Office, they solved a major puzzle, you don't want his problems be your problems.

Good for Donatas, he can roam free. wherever he wants to be. Go to the woods where there are not one wolf, not 2, not 3......

I am sadder because of Sager right now.

#384 daywalker02, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    basso and hakeem94 like this.
  5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This doesn't happen with a player the Rockets really like or see a lot of value in.

6. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

So Morey in the end decided to pull the plug. The medical report must have been something that in the end made the Rockets decided to pull the plug.

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Good riddance

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup, but Morey liked the player to the extent of warranting this big drama. I sure hope he acts smarter the next time when a Euro player is involved.

xtruroyaltyx and hakeem94 like this.
  9. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

1) I don't see Motiejunas signing with the Jazz. Their big rotation is fairly full with Gobert, Favors, Diaw, and Lyles as well as Joe Johnson and Ingles who can both fill in as small ball 4's. I suppose there's always a chance, but with Favors back now I'd be surprised.

2) It makes absolutely no sense that the Nets can't sign him now. What did they do wrong? Signed him to a RFA contract, Rockets matched, shitshow ensued and D-Mo's rights were renounced making him an UFA. Why would the Nets not be allowed to sign him again now if they wanted to? I'm not seeing any logic behind that and they appear to be getting screwed for no reason.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I sure hope his career won't as shortlived as some folks think. May he play for another 3 years and back to Europe he goes.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...the-rights-to-Donatas-Motiejunas-10799510.php

#390 daywalker02, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

How exactly would you suggest he "act smarter?" Name one thing you think he did wrong.

Nook and Tha_Dude like this.
  12. Nivos

Nivos Member

I can promise you that for sure.
    D-mo is not going to get a better offer than what he got from us.
    He's going to get a very bad 1 yr deal to prove his worth and then maybe get to the 7-8 million/yr if he's healthy next year.
    Sad story bro...

Tha_Dude likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or if the player is actually healthy.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wrong is too strong a word. But he could have let him go earlier.

After the trade to Motor City, Morey could have worked things out with DMo.

Morey: Dmo, we appreciated your 4 years here and we like to give you a chance to go out there and find your next contract. We won't stop you and we wish you good luck.

And that whole thing would have ended.

Euros have more opportunities, they can go and stay overseas, earn a whole lot of Benjamins there to the point they do not even want to go to the NBA.

You and I know that Donatas has not played up to expectations, people may argue he might have done as much as TJones who was sorted out prior to this.

As much as I liked his talent, let's not fool ourselves, he aint no more than his 12 pt and 6 rbs. average and usually he has just been a 10 and 5 pts player.

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

This guy just needs to go back to Euroleague or something and definitely should fire whoever is giving him advice...

Also I winder how jacked up his back is cause it seems the Rockets and other teams see it to be a huge red flag im interested on who takes a flyer on him perhaps someone like the Clippers. I don't doubt he can be a decent NBA player but he needs to figure out what he wants.

Batman Jones likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why would he just give away a player that had just been a key contributor? That had just been able to fetch a first round pick for?

The Rockets owned his rights and were entirely within reason to either try to get something for him when they could OR keep him and try and salvage some value for their team.

In the end, they did exactly what you asked for. Gave him a chance to go out and get the best contract he could. Once he did, they matched.

It's not the teams fault that his back is f'd up beyond repair. Chances are he also fails his physical at his next destination, however at a vastly reduced rate, some team may take a flyer.

Batman Jones likes this.
  17. Batman Jones

They wanted him back. And if he didn't want to be back they wanted him at least as a piece in a trade. As was their right as he was a restricted free agent.

So what you're saying is it would be smart to renounce a player we have rights to and that we want on our team. Or it would be smart to release any RFA that doesn't want to be here. Just make them unrestricted. What the hell! Give them a bonus too just for the hell of it.

Hopefully you'll cut it out with these false equivalencies and "Morey should have been better" or "smarter" or weirdly declaring your allegiance to the player in the player/front office dispute as you've also done lately, in direct opposition to every single fact we know about the situation.

If you can't point to one thing you think Morey should have done differently (and you just proved you most certainly cannot) I think it would be in order for you to stop saying he should have done better.

larsv8 likes this.
  18. Batman Jones

Of course they were. daywalker announced yesterday or the day before that he had just decided to take the player's side in the conflict. He didn't give a reason. He just felt like siding with a player. He hasn't made rational sense in the last few days.

19. Batman Jones

The question wasn't how much to pay him for a single season. It was how many years to commit to him when we don't know his current value and when no other team in the league was willing to pay more. If a player wants more than the QO he goes out and signs an offer sheet and brings it back to match or not. D-Mo/BJ didn't like that he was in RFA so they just sort of refused to be in it. They whined and made enough trouble that it was better to just frigging cut him than to sign him or get value for him. It was never over a few million here or there. It was over D-Mo negotiating this contract like it was last, signing the dumbest/most-team friendly offer sheet ever with the Nets (only 5 mil guaranteed, tons of opt-outs, not only no second year but not even this whole season guaranteed), demanding a new deal because his agent didn't read the CBA, getting a new (more team-friendly deal but with the bonuses included) and apparently couldn't be made happy by that either. He couldn't be made happy by either of the deals he said he wanted. Apparently he just couldn't be made happy.

I'd ask you what I asked daywalker. Exactly what would you have done differently if you were Morey? Offer a few more million? Because that wasn't going to get it done. They put themselves in a situation without a guaranteed second year and then they blamed Morey for not guaranteeing a second year. I honestly think they thought the Rockets wouldn't match even though the contract the Nets gave him to sign made it look like BJ was working for the Rockets, not D-Mo.

How exactly was Morey "stubborn?"

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . .. Like I said before. . .. Seems like this result will benefit BJ and his other clients more than DMo

Rocket River

hakeem94 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.