1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Close Is Dominick Davis to Starting?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by today, Oct 15, 2003.

1. today

today Contributing Member

So what do you think?

Davis has impressed me over the last couple of games, he's run well, and he can catch the ball on those check down routes extremely well. Has he impressed Capers enough to get a start this week? I would think that another impressive start or two would win him the job for sure.

Have you guys heard anything on 610 about this? I don't ever get a chance to tune in.

Thanks.

2. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2160215

Oct. 15, 2003, 11:07PM

Texans try out new look
    Davis, McCree replace Mack, Stevens at practice
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Dom Capers typically does not announce changes in the starting lineup until after Friday practices, which explains why the Texans coach wasn't tipping his hand Wednesday about the noticeable differences on the practice field.

Rookie running back Domanick Davis got most of the work with the first-team offense, and veteran free safety Marlon McCree replaced Matt Stevens with the starting group. If past practices are any indication, both players are likely to be in the starting lineup Sunday when the Texans host the New York Jets.

Nevertheless, Capers wasn't prepared to make anything official after the first practice of the week.

"Guys earn playing time by performance and what they've done," Capers said. "Domanick has earned playing time, so you will be seeing more of Domanick."

As for McCree, whom the Texans claimed off waivers from Jacksonville last month, Capers said: "We're working Marlon more. We'll go through the week of practice and make a decision at the end of the week. We feel now that we've had Marlon long enough. He's been around here, and you very well could see us work him in."

If McCree and Davis start Sunday against the Jets, that means Stevens and running back Stacey Mack will have reduced roles. Stevens declined comment Wednesday, and Mack was not available.

Mack has started all five games at running back for the Texans and, while he leads the team with 211 rushing yards, he's averaging just 2.9 yards a carry. The Texans have used somewhat of a running-back-by-committee approach with Mack, Davis and rookie Tony Hollings, but Davis has been the most effective.

Davis would welcome the opportunity to make his first NFL start after being used primarily as the Texans' third-down back in the first five games, but he said he wasn't reading anything into Wednesday's extra work.

"I really don't know," Davis said. "But I can say I'm doing a little more than I've been doing. I'm not sure. I feel like I've been doing OK.

"I'm making a few things happen whenever I get a chance. I could be doing a lot better. I can block better and finish plays better, but I'm doing all right. I'm ready to do whatever they ask me to do. I'm here to help the team in whatever role I can help."

Mack signed with the Texans as a free agent during the offseason and was hoping to be a featured back for the first time in his career. He backed up Fred Taylor in Jacksonville during his first four years in the NFL.

Turf toes on both feet have slowed Mack and created an opening for Davis, who has made the most of the opportunities. In addition to being the Texans' most efficient runner, Davis also has caught 13 passes for 134 yards.

When the Texans claimed McCree off waivers, general manager Charley Casserly said it was to upgrade the overall 53-man roster, but it was no coincidence the move came after Stevens got off to a slow start. However, Stevens had his two best games in the weeks following McCree's arrival and seemed to be holding off the challenge.

Apparently, the coaching staff has come to the conclusion a change is needed. The Texans rank last in pass defense.

McCree started 27 of 29 career games with the Jaguars, including all 16 in 2002 when he finished second in the AFC with six interceptions and fifth in the NFL. First-year Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio installed a new defensive system, and the team used a second-round pick on free safety Rashean Mathis, reducing McCree to a backup role during training camp.

McCree was on the inactive list for his first game with the Texans and played exclusively on special teams in the other two.

"They put me in the starting rotation (Wednesday), so I'm just trying to make a contribution to the team and help out the best way I can and help the defense win some games," McCree said. "I didn't come over here expecting anything, but I always come to work prepared. In this business, you're always one play away from starting anyway. I wasn't caught off guard, but I wasn't expecting this."

Asked if he thought the coaches were making a change because the Texans allowed 421 passing yards and surrendered 11 pass plays of more than 20 yards in Sunday's 38-17 loss at Tennessee, McCree said: "I don't know. You have to ask the coaches that. I'm just happy for the opportunity. Hopefully, I can go out there and make the best of it."

Stevens, whom the Texans acquired from New England in the expansion draft, has started all 21 games at free safety during the Texans' brief existence. He was released during the offseason in a move that allowed the Texans to save $2 million on the salary cap, but he later re-signed at a reduced salary.

In the meantime, the Texans entertained free agents Cory Hall, Damien Robinson and Keion Carpenter, each of whom signed with other teams.

3. today

today Contributing Member

Thanks Black Sheep. Sounds like awesome news. Hopefully the normal Jets defense will show up this week instead of the one from last week. We should get back to .500.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Mack has been a major disappointment. DD is averaging almost 5 yds/carry. :eek:

It's time. It's time to start Jonathan Wells.

just kidding :D

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He appears to be very close to starting. After reading the chronicle this morning, it appears that way.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Washington DC 980 has him starting. I think it's official now.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The associated press reports the Houston Texans have named Domanick Davis their starting running back this week.

Good news.

8. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

LSU LSU!!! Geaux Tigers...

Dominick Davis had a great game, too bad our play calling cost us the game again.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

play calling?? how about stupid ass penalties?? i felt like i was watching the oilers of the early 90's all over again.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

next question. :)

11. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

Next question: How close is Domanick Davis to starring ?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have put a claim in on him in my keeper league....I will start him over Corey Dillon any day.

DD

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If he could have started a couple of games ago the Texans could have had 2 legit canidates for R.O.Y. (Dre,D.D.)

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Any openings in your league, cause if the rest of the players are like you, that's some easy money! :D