1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Walked into Target and got an Iphone 7 plus :)

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yay! allo!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hello, Allo (launches this week).</p>&mdash; Evan Blass (@evleaks) <a href="https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/777589343586246656">September 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Lies!

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

come and get your Pixel love.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aNnCtmyujLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://madeby.google.com/

5. Dave2000

6. OmegaSupreme

edit: dave2000 best me to it.

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/09/google-allo-smarter-messaging-app.html?m=1

it says over the next few days worldwide, but apkmirror is legit and the link for download is here:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/allo-by-google/allo-by-google-1-0-006_rc18-release/

just make sure to choose the right one for your phone.

gonna miss the nexus name, but it was about time they did their own thing. f5f5f5f5f5

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Allo is nice but they should have really released it with all the bells and whistles from the start. I was excited when I saw that you could just sms someone and they could still read and reply to the message (groupme like) but then got disappointed when the text doesn't come from your number. (sms-unlike)

It has HUGE potential but a lot of the folks i communicate with don't always have their phone on them so -1 for that.

-1 for no voice commands and -1 for no quick reply from notification bar.

+1 for UI. Looks great.

if it was an SMS replacment i could look past the minuses. Almost there google but I think it might be too far behind out of the gate.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My G4 is seriously on its last legs... need... pixel... now

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Allo is disappointing, uninstalled it already. I was expecting this to be an all-in messaging app like iMessage but it's not. How hard is it for Google to copy Apple? Allo needs to add full SMS support and come preinstalled on every single Android phone so users are forced to use it.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wouldn't a better solution would be Apple opening up its iMessage so other systems could exchange messages with it? Seems the solution shouldn't be more closed systems...

11. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Seriously, my Nexus 6 just crapped out. When will the 6P price drop??

12. BiGGieStuFF

What happened? mine is still running like a champ. Tested on 2 nexus 6. slow camera initialization and sluggishness.

I always used greenify when I was rooted to keep apps hibernated but on stock it doesn't work that well. They've updated it to work much better with non-rooted devices.

It really cleaned up the memory management a lot. Even though apps aren't running and listed in running services they are sitting active waiting to be used. Greenify has helped auto-hibernate the apps I don't use that often and now everything is much better.

phone still lags when I play pokemon go, tune in radio and have drivemode (text reading app) open since all 3 are memory hogs but daily use has improved since I reinstalled greenify.

My guess is some apps sat idle but active and caused some sort of lag with the camera activating. double click power to activate camera works so much better now.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Apple could do that but why would they? iMessage is a reason that a lot of people stick with iPhones.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Finally. Lol

Needs REAL sms support.

15. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Of course Google drops the ball again on messaging. But that is to be expected from a company who isn't in the business of creating great consumer products and services.

16. OmegaSupreme

absolutely. i agree with therealist. initial excitement has worn off. it's not a messenger replacement yet.

pixel phones in a month. they need to give these first access to new features/apps unlike what they do for android. where the hell is Gboard for android? :confused:

mileena.

17. BiGGieStuFF

I replaced my wife's ios keyboard with gboard. She doesn't even notice the difference :grin::grin::grin: I haven't told her yet. seeing how many days goes by until she tells me something is not right.

18. BiGGieStuFF

The closest app I cant think of that Allo resembles for me is Groupme

communicate via app or sms with no need to install the app (random number generation)
    Meme creator (photo with scribble or text manipulation)

and that's about it hahaha.

I guess if i had to pick one app to create a group chat on, ALLO would make sense over hangouts. Not everyone has gmail or a gmail they use frequently or even remember the password to.

19. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

My screen just went blank last night. Poof, gone. I can still hear the lock screen sound and the haptic feedback for the lock screen still works. Just can't see anything *sigh*

Back on a Galaxy S3 and this thing feels miniature in my hand compared to the 6. Can't believe phones were this small at one point! But yeah, I need to upgrade soon. S3 is laggy AF. And no MMS group messaging.

20. Dave2000