1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. MystikArkitect

Since the Big 12 expansion thread has eroded I figure it's better to talk about UH P5 here. I'd sincerely hope UH has been gauging interest from other conferences now that's getting a lot of national attention. Nothing would be sweeter than getting an ACC or P12 invite while the B12 does what it does. Someone on Coog Fans mentioned there was definite ACC interest but haven't seen anything concrete. Then again the ACC and other leagues don't bang their drums quite like the B12 does.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The ACC just signed a new long term tv deal launching their own network, along with a 20 year GOR, which indicates they are seemingly happy with the conference as is. Apparently this has been in the works for quite some time now so it'd be surprising to see expansion immediately after years of negotiating and working things out. As far as the PAC, I'm not sure they're in a position to expand the conference at this point.

3. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Tom Herman was informed during his weekly press conference that Oliver told reporters he hadn't earned the right to speak to media, even though team policy allows him to as long as he played in the game.

Ed Oliver bought into the culture from day 1, and did not even allow other teams to sway his commitment to the program.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Not picking on you, a lot of people are saying the same about the ACC not expanding. I have seen nothing that forecloses the ACC from expanding. The right expansion makes perfect sense IMO. As for the PAC, there are certainly hurdles to expansion; however they have a desire to have a greater presence in the Texas market.

I don't think either conference is a slam dunk to expand like the Big XII (argued incessantly that the Big XII would expand); but it is quite possible and both conferences have expressed interest with other universities that are attractive candidates.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Dude is a beast

1 person likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Where have you read that either conferences have expressed interest in expanding? Not saying you're wrong but haven't seen anything concrete. I know the PAC Commish met with UH at their request but that's about the only thing really.

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I was there to witness. I rewatched the game again on a YouTube link the next day. Ed Oliver man. This is going to be a fun season.

8. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

UH fans need OU to win the Big 12 or be in contention for a Big 12 title. Also an undefeated L'ville in October will be awesome for UH to beat them.

9. jbasket

jbasket Member

The announcer in the FSU Ole Miss game said he would have Houston at num 5. Personally, I think Houston will be between 5-10.

I would be ecstatic and doing cartwheels if they are 5/6, hoping for 7/8, dismayed but can accept 9/10. Anything outside top 10 is absolutely unacceptable.

10. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Ed Oliver looks like an NFL veteran. Dude is freaking huge! He made that OU line look ridicky.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You know he was 5 star recruit. He was very highly recruited. He isn't just some random kid playing well.

12. rocketry

rocketry Member

WHAT! NO WAY! You don't say.

Since you're too lazy or too stupid to look one page back. I'll post what I said 24 hours BEFORE the game:

"24 hours from now. All they will be talking about is how much of a beast Ed is."

And if you want to look in further back, you'll see I was posting months ago about Ed.

Don't know the source of your ignorance, but, c'mon man. Make a little effort. Unless it's inherent. Then I just feel sorry for you.

13. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

You ass tell something we don't know.

14. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

UH #7 in the USA Today Coaches Poll (up 6 spots) from #13

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

So I guess that would put us at #9 or so in the AP poll.. Which is horse**** if it happens. They should be #5 or #6 in my opinion.

16. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

There's still practically a whole season left. Let them underestimate us ;)

17. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

ESPN has us moved up in their Power Rankings to #5

5. Houston Cougars (1-0)

Trending: UP

Preseason ranking: 12
    Week 1 result: Defeated Oklahoma 33-23

It's official: Houston belongs in the College Football Playoff discussion as a serious contender, not just a novelty, after taking down Oklahoma 33-23. They likely won't play a ranked team again until Louisville visits on Nov. 17.

18. Poloshirtbandit

Just keep winning and everything will take care of itself.

19. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

#6 in AP poll!

20. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Texas goes all the way up to #11 wow