1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Physical Therapist Recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ths balla, Aug 22, 2016.

1. ths balla

ths balla Member

Have finally had enough of my constant back pain(only 28) and heard from a friend going to physical therapy was the way to go. I have tried the chiropractor and have gotten massages and none have really helped. Wanted to get some recommendations on a place to go to hopefully alleviate the pain, thanks.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Do you know the cause of your back pain? Accident, etc..?

#2 RV6, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I could recommend one in Austin who got rid of my wife's back problems that she has had for over 8 years that no doctor could figure out.

4. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Houston Methodist Orthopedics. Contact them. They take care of the Astros, Texans & Dynamo players.

5. ths balla

ths balla Member

In all honesty, about 2 years ago I was throwing away a napkin into the trash and my back went out completely, could barely move bend down or anything. Nothing traumatic happened before that, but I have never been the same since. I can only play bball for so long until it hurts too much to play any longer.

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

[​IMG]

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I assume you're in Houston? I am in PT here in Austin. Depending on your issue it can help. I have a severely degenerated and slightly herniated L5 disc, coupled with an abnormally straight lumbar that puts extra stress on that last disc. I've been dealing with it for about 4 years from a minor basketball injury, and I have a few flareups a year that require me to basically be bedridden for at least a week. I tried the chiropractor too, and while it helped a bit, it certainly didn't do the trick long term.

I've been in PT now for about 2 months. It has helped slightly, but I haven't been able to do any physical activity in that time and I'm getting quite impatient.

Be sure to do all the exercises you're supposed to do at home. I tend to forget, and I'm pretty sure that is prolonging my recovery. Lower back requires a lot of core, glutes, hamstrings, and hip flexer stretches.

Back pain is the worst. I'm 28 as well and the pain can get so bad that it's hard to breathe.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It's amazing what damage minor incidents can cause. I was playing basketball, did kind of a slight stutter step hesitation dribble, and felt a tiny pull. Decided to sit down and stretch, got real tight and by the time I got home I couldn't bend over 45 degrees. It was like that for a full week. Didn't get out of bed much at all. X rays showed a hyper extension. That was 4 years ago. After my last flare up, I was like enough is enough and decided to spend the money and go through a full round of physical therapy.

Good luck to you....

9. ths balla

ths balla Member

Really appreciate the feedback. My stubbornness in not giving my back some rest coupled with me not stretching properly before physical activity has not helped the situation. I am going to start being diligent with the stretches and hope that helps for the time being, good luck to you as well.

10. slamdunk179

slamdunk179 Member

Check out Memorial Hermann Ironman Memorial location for physical thearapy. I had severe sciataica and lower back issues for close to 2 years and 2-3 months of PT helped tremendously.

Like another poster said, focus on eliptical (low impact excercises, strengthen your core, glutes, and concentrate on hip flexibility.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Your body was likely already compensating in a significant way..likely something you did recently really pushed it to the edge that day, so when you threw the napkin away it was just hanging by a thread so to speak..

I would look into neurokinetic therapy. Check it out on Facebook or IG (might be under David Weinstock)..From their postings you'll get better idea of what they do and it'll help you decide if you want to pay for the service.

Also check out Myodetox IG..not local, but they have quality content that could help. They have a few therapists working there, so check out their invididual pages (vinnierehab/borisrehab/dr jacob harden are a few).

#11 RV6, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016