1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pokemon Go!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MystikArkitect

Wondering if the restaurants at the park had something to do with it. Maybe they don't like the vibe Pokemon Go has created in the area. Safety? Lol.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Park has other uses besides Pokemon Go. Pokemon Go trainers didn't follow the rules and were driving costs up that were going to cause other functions to be cancelled. It is easy to use parks during normal hours. Blame the people that played past closing hours. The park caters to more people than just Pokemon Go players and money is not infinite.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Normally Rasberry + Ultraball gets the job done for me, but let me down a couple of times yesterday. I caught a 700+ Ivysaur with 4 regular pokeballs (I didn't really care much if he got away). Had a 300ish Cubone escape 3 times against a Rasberry+Ultraball.

4. hvic

hvic Member

curveballs have been helping me capture strong pokemon but rats will always run from me

5. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

anybody notice that with Androids there seems to be a delay when a pokemon appears??

My sister has an iphone and the pokemon always shows up on her device a lot faster than mines.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Your only argument is that some minority wanted to be in the park so badly they stayed after hours. That was cleared up with a single patrol telling people to leave without incident.

I think it is obviously people who don't understand this is a good thing for parks to be full. Probably what an earlier poster said about the "right" kind of people. Although I can't think of people you would rather have in your park.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Doesn't have to be about Android, the different phone models are also important gps-wise. Phone of a friend has the same OS, Android, and Pokémon constantly appear roughly 5sec before they do in my phone.

8. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

i guess you're right.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From what I've heard, they had to have more than a single patrol. Not about right kind of people. Park has a budget with planned events. Other people deserve to use park besides Pokemon Go users. I'm sure if Pokemon Go users formed a committee that raised funds to support the associated costs with Pokemon Go to Discovery Green, the Conservatory would withdraw their request to remove gyms, pokestops, and pokemon.

People would rather complain than fix the problem or put up money to fix the problem.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The minority that is playing after hours require the non-profit operating the park to pay at least one additional security guard a night. Assuming he's $10/hour and standard three times multiplier for associated costs for labor, that's $210 a night. For a year if the non-profit didn't take action, that's about $80,000 or about 5% of their annual operating budget.

My guess is that they've had to have at least 2 additional security guys based on what I've seen in youtube videos/news reports for after hours usage. Also, I've not seen police reports, but a representative of the non-profit has said that a small minority of the Pokemon Go after-hours players are becoming more belligerent towards security and HPD.

Complain about the situation all you want, but 5% of the operating budget (much less the likely 10+% they've likely had to pay so far) for the non-profit that runs Discovery Green is not going to go towards covering additional security to handle after hours play. Take into account that the increased traffic is overwhelming the landscaping and trash collection during normal hours, they had to do something to prevent Pokemon Go from using up an even more significant portion of their budget.

In addition, there is a standing park rule to limit groups to 20 people for any unauthorized event. Pokemon Go is busting this at 3 am. You can argue that this isn't technically an event (I would call it one though), but the spirit of the rule is definitely being trampled on.

11. Bandwagoner

I've kinda seen it tho so you hearing it doesn't really matter to me. And your math post made me laugh. The park isn't a club that has to hire off duty cops.

All of your posts just assume some number from nowhere and then double it.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yawn. Ad hominem logic fallacy.

Even using lowest possible numbers for one mall cop with absolutely no other costs outside his salary for only 4 hours leads to 1,200 a month. Please do some math yourself if you don't trust my numbers. They have said it is costing them thousands already which my numbers are in the ball park for if extrapolated to a year. As the Conservatory is out there as well and are the ones liable, I'll take their word on the need for security and on the behavior of trespassers.

As you have admitted to being out there after hours, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us that play Pokemon Go.

13. Bandwagoner

"Mall cop" - wasn't the situation. It is HPD. So get the basic facts down. That is typically needed for extrapolation

Your numbers are about as reliable as theirs. Both were pulled out of an ass. The article I read said they didn't have any numbers. Old people are ruining the rejuvenation of parks. As I go to Hermann Park all the time, I would be really interested to hear how often people complaining went. Probably for a play once a month and don't like the new riff raff ruining the parking situation. The parking lots that was taken up by the new 31 million dollar Centennial Gardens that are incredibly expensive to keep up. The maintenance on that thing makes everything you are saying incredibly foolish.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ad hominem again and still not one idea on how to remedy the situation except blaming others. Conservatory has hired additional security that may or may not be off-duty cops if you believe what they have said. Obviously, you think they are liars. If they are off-duty cops, it is very expensive. I was giving the low ball cost. When there is a problem, security guys call HPD. Security guys aren't paid per incident. they are paid per hour and for the most part sip coffee.

Also, Conservatory is paying bills and has had enough time to figure out the costs. A spokesman for the non-profit in a report I saw said it is in the thousands already. Obviously, they are a bunch of liars and have no accounting department, because you read an article that said they didn't know the costs. I tend to believe the facts from a non-profit over "facts" that you say.

Keep believing it is about hatred for Pokemon Go players.

15. Bandwagoner

Situation to be remedied = People are using the parks.

They spend millions to get people to show up ∴ any of your maths showing an extra HPD patrol (not a mall cop) costs a bit extra are totally irrelevant. None of what you are saying makes any sense, I point this out, make fun of your calculations and you claim ad hominem. Your argument is a joke. You are complaining about a facility that costs hundreds of millions to build has to pay a few thousand for security. Unbelievable.

They want to build parks. They want money to maintain the monstrosities. They don't want to have too many people going.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Back to game topic, what are people doing these days?

I'm basically playing while at a park walking the dogs or during evening stroll in the neighborhood. Basically, eggs and evolutions using candies acquired from eggs are only way I'm seeing new Pokemon (up to 123 in Pokedex). On the way to work, I'll hit up a couple of gyms on the way if I have a few minutes to kill.

Still having potion shortage, and have started actually accumulating all types of pokeballs. At level 26, not sure if I'll ever make it to Level 30 at this rate.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Remedies are things like contacting city representatives to increase funds to non-profit to support Pokemon Go activities. Forming a group to help fund non-profit would be beneficial. Even just forming a group to talk with them would be good if fund raising isn't your thing. You can do these things. Other players can do these things. You've got the passion for it. Instead of assuming the other side is bad, talk with them.

The situation is about keeping park clean, usable, and safe. The non-profit needs money to support these actions.

...and another ad hominem logic fallacy.

18. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

I want to know how revenue generation fared for park businesses, public transport, and parking offerings pre/post PMGO.

I have 4 kids. Our family of 6 has been to DG 3x in the past month vs 2x the prior 4 years. We've spent more for food and parking at DG - in the past month - than the prior 4 years.

There is a case to be made that traditional park goers are being squeezed out or put-off, and there are unquestionably negative revenue consequences associated with such a scenario. However, all I'm reading Joe Joe is 1) empathy for those b****ing about having to do what they exist to do and 2) a 100% legitimate gripe that people violated park rules. Lots of sympathy sans substance or facts. I'm not a fan.

I am a huge fan of facts:

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/201/201951465/201951465_201406_990.pdf

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=14701

This "non-profit" offers a pension plan, a full suite of benefits, pays 3 different employees 6-figure salaries - an egregious percent of comp vs budget. Moreover, the median "small" charity CEO comp, in the Southwest, is 90k. For "medium" sized charities it's 135k. Mandel at the DGC makes ~ 200k.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/docs/2014_CEO_Compensation_Study.pdf (page 5)

Park Operations 645k budget for FY'13:
    http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/201/201951465/201951465_201406_990.pdf page 10/28, line 24(b)

Security 367k for FY'13, line 24(c)

Direct compensation to officers and employees 2.92mm for FY'13, lines 5-7

Pension, Benefits, and Payroll taxes, 605k, lines 8-10

Another source to put the outsized compensation vs charity size into some sourced context: http://www.thenonprofittimes.com/ne...ry-and-benefits-operating-budget-and-ceo-pay/

--------------------------------------------------------------

The way this the DGC is operated, and here's where the subjectivity returns, it should not qualify to be the receipt of grants or free-money from any citizen-funded organization (gov't). I don't want to hear any crap about being thousands over an anomalously constructed budget.

IMO, being at a park after hours is - in a vacuum - a viictim-less transgression. I view it in the same vein as driving 60 in a 55 on an empty road. Against the rule, against the spirit of the rule, and ethically/morally wrong.

But, IMO, there is no legitimacy behind DGC's response if predicated only upon a comical budget and victim-less transgressions. I need to see some facts or numbers as rebuke.

1 person likes this.
  19. Bandwagoner

ad hominem

20. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Yeah, Im starting to lose interest. Seems like it's getting harder to catch common pokemon, let alone rare ones. I walk around UH campus every other day and in the past 3 walks the only new one I caught was a Parasect, everything is either a Pidgey or some low level evolved version of that.