1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

What year was it in the 90's when yall came out of nowhere and took the Big 10? I was dating a Northwestern girl from HSPVA at the time, got to fly up and see yall beat Penn St that year, which is always nice.

2. Buck Turgidson

I was there for the Mackovic years, painful stuff.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Oh good grief. When teams do well, their fans are going to talk. All fans from all schools do this. Just wait until UT wins two games in a row. You will hear a lot of crowing.

UH had a good year, their fans have earned the right to talk a little trash. I guess it just stings a little more when your own team keeps underperforming.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

A vast majority of big football programs are in towns smaller than Lubbock. What you are saying could be applied to Alabama and jesus, just about all of the other usual schools.

Also, we are talking about 6 games a year. Is there really that much can't miss stuff going on that people can't spend 4 hours in the middle of a Saturday at a game?

Completely agree.

Who is they? UT already endorsed UH to join the league. Their image has already been tarnished. The reality is that this happens to programs at one point or another and UT had a really good run. You just want to make sure you are on the right path and Charlie's recruiting finishes in the last two years make it look like they are. I know you are tired of hearing that but you don't just get 1 recruiting class and become excellent. You grow those guys and keep the talent coming in which is what they have done. You are just trolling if you think they are at the lowest of the lows. Not when you had the top recruiting in your conference for the last two years.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The mantra is always "kids are coming"; that has never been an issue.

The David McWilliams and John Makovic seasons were pretty lean.

Is two straight losing seasons the measure? I would rather have that and 5-15 years of mediocrity.

6. Nook

Nook Member

1995 was the Rose Bowl, I believe we went undefeated in the Big X that year.

Yeah, those were mediocre years overall. Mack Brown had a really nice run though.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I think we are talking different things. I'm only talking about recruiting. Someone said UT has to worry about losing recruits. My response is not really. We suck and are still landing recruits. That's not an issue.

Pick any measure you like, you still have to go pre Mack (98) to get there. Long time ago....

8. Buck Turgidson

Actually, it was a huge issue the last 4 or so years of Mack's regime. They got embarrassingly lazy in recruiting and coaching simultaneously.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm trying to stay out of this abortion of a thread with the usual trolling going on, but this is classic "trying too hard". Texas plays OU, Baylor, TCU, Okie Lite, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, CAL, UCLA, etc. Houston plays UNLV, Tulsa, UTSA, Grambling, Temple, Tulane, etc...

I would hope they'd have more wins playing that garbage than UT has during their down years. No idea why everyone is arguing over this stuff with such passion. It's all repetitive.

10. askball

askball Member

Yeah it's the same reason Boise State can claim the most wins over the past decade.

11. The Stig

The Stig Member

12. the shark

the shark Member

There's no way in hell UT wants UH in the same conference. Their President may have said so, but behind the scenes NO FREAKIN WAY!!

They kept UH out of the SWC for yrs. When UH was finally allowed to join ('76) they won the conference three out of their first four yrs (4 out of 9 yrs). That first yr they went in to Austin, and beat the crap out of them 30-0. This also ended UT's home 42 gm winning streak.

'87 60-40
    '88 66-15
    '89 47-9
    '91 23-14

UT doesn't want any part of UH as they know letting UH in to the same conference their recruiting in the greater Houston area would take a major hit.

So funny to hear all these UT alums whining and complaining. You can say what you want, but UT has ALWAYS had top recruiting classes. How many players have been drafted over the past 5 yrs at UT?

UT fans talk more **** then any other school I can think of. What's funny is not hearing **** from them over the past 5 yrs because they suck!!!!

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Cringepost.

Let's keep the peepee games and poo flinging to a minimum, fellow Coogs.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Do you really think the president of UT is thinking "man, what happened 40 years ago is totally relevant today. NO to UH!"

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Every fan base has their fair share of douche posters. We've now found a Cougar one.

Let the adults talk and go play your zombie phone game.

16. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

HAHAHAHAHA. Pure gold. Yes, fear is why UT doesnt want UH in the conference. UT doesnt recruit Houston well as it is. Its more ATM, LSU, and bama territory. And all UH fans should honestly be hoping for Texas (and Strong) to have a good year. Cause if they dont, Herman will be the new HC.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure Belmont Hall is really worried about that 1976 UH team strapping on its cleats and coming into town next year to prove them wrong.

18. askball

askball Member

19. the shark

the shark Member

The reason it's more ATM, LSU territory is UT has sucked ass here of late.

Yes we should want Texas to be good so they don't fire Strong, because UT gets what they want (at least that's what they think). If that's the case how did they wind up with Strong?