1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

They should be required to expand their stadium as a term of joining the conference. Borrow against future earnings. That or book Reliant overtime OU and UT come to Houston. No reason Tech should have a 65k seat stadium and UH 40k.

2. Nook

Nook Member

They have the capacity to expand their stadium to 60,000 and I have no doubt they would do so. Until the stadium is expanded, I would believe Reliant would be possible.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm sure they will even though BU and TCU only seat 5K more than UH currently.

1 person likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It would be a total dick move if UH expanded into Round Rock on the State's dime, and you can bet UT would squash it dead.

Especially if it was using a dime that UT wasn't allowed to have a piece of (I. E. The PUF fund, which is what UT used for thus purchase).

If you are concerned about increasing higher education in Houston, there's a place you can give money to (the UH system) that already covers that area.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's a jerk thing because they purchased the land with funds that need state approval, and when it comes to state schools the state is responsible for ensuring each institution is treated fairly. Allowing one school to circumvent the state process and open a school in another schools backyard with $$ they and A&M only have access to isn't right. The main issue isn't buying the land above market. The main issue is buying the land when the politicians were out of session and you needed their approval to spend those funds.

This isn't some $$ a rich donor gave UT to spend. These are state funds, and a UT-Houston isn't in the best interests of UH.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No way UH gives up on campus games for OU and Texas. They will eventually expand the stadium, however, cougars want home field advantage.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Uh officials should think long and hard about this. Ut-Houston is bad for uh long term if the big 12 falls apart. Texas could use this carrot to get their satellite and then in two years be gone to the pac12.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I agree.

UH will eventually find its way out of the wilderness.

The Big 12 is a temporary solution.

UT-Houston is a permanent problem.

1 person likes this.
  9. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Expand by 6 schools and form the Big 16

South Division:

Texas
    Texas Tech
    TCU
    Baylor
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Houston
    USF

North Division:

Kansas
    Kansas State
    Iowa State
    West Virginia
    BYU
    Cincinnati
    Colorado State
    Memphis

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Is it true that the Big 12, years ago, registered the name "Big 14"?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texas Tech issues statement on Houston: <a href="https://t.co/o3NNiR7u4m">pic.twitter.com/o3NNiR7u4m</a></p>&mdash; Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/756609408553975811">July 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Brando2101

Houston metro has 6 million more people than Austin (1.8 million) There are 7 independent universities in the Austin Metroplex and 11 campuses at Austin Community colleges. Austin is not underserved with higher education and there is no market for a UH campus.

UT-Austin
    Concordia University Texas
    St. Edwards
    Huston-Tillotson University
    The Art Institute of Austin
    Texas St (San Marcos)
    Southwestern (George Town)

The University of Texas System has campuses all over Texas including 2 in the Dallas Metro Complex. I'm not sure why Houston is off limits.
    Austin
    Arlington
    Dallas
    El Paso
    Brownsville
    Tyler
    Odessa

UH has even branched out of Houston to Victoria. Donating money to UH will not help them build a new 300 acre campus next year.

I'm sorry but this "my turf" is nothing but (as you say) Pee Pee games and acts at the expense of the social good of higher education. You open up more opportunities for Houston students as the city continues to grow. Go ask High school sophomores and juniors if they are against a new college opening up in Houston. Also, how can the UH campus continue to grow past 50,000 students?

I TOTALLY get that part. My issue was that there is a problem with the idea of UT opening up a Houston campus independent of how they go about it. I agree they should have done things the right way.

Oh, I would be all fine for UH staying in their home stadium once its expanded to 60k. It might be hard for them to do that by 2018 though. The tough thing is that they won't get the full payout for a few years after they join the conference so I'm not sure if it would be hard to borrow money for the expansion against that future payout. There is just no way you host OU or UT in a 40,000 seat stadium when you have a 72,000 stadium down the road. It's also not clear how often they would play those teams. It would be 1 a year if they were in the same division but it could be 1 every 2.5 years if they are in opposite divisions in a 14 team conference.

I don't think they'll be the first conference with 16 schools considering they don't have a network. I think they just match the ACC, Big 10 and SEC 14 team setup. I don't think you make a division that includes West Virginia and BYU. They are 3000 miles apart. Let's assume that the big 12 will do rotating cross division games and not have a set rivalry game like the SEC. For example, Texas A&M plays South Carolina every year and then rotates their other cross division game between the rest of the teams.

In that case, here are teams that have to play every year and thus have to be in the same division:
    Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas
    Baylor-TCU (God Bowl)
    Kansas-Kansas St

Westish
    BYU
    TCU
    Kansas
    Kansas St
    Iowa St
    Baylor
    Texas Tech

Eastish
    West Virginia
    UCONN/Memphis/Florida School
    Cincy
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma St
    Texas
    Houston

Advantages:
    -OU or UT play in Houston every year
    -OU and UT play each new school to help build big 12 attraction in new markets of New York, Ohio and wherever the last school is from.

Southish
    TCU
    Baylor
    Texas Tech
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma St
    Texas
    Houston

Northish
    BYU
    Kansas
    Kansas St
    Iowa St
    West Virginia
    UCONN/Memphis/Florida School
    Cincy

The other option is the old big 12 south with UH. It would create unbelievable disparities between football power. That can change but look at the last decade and see the differences in wins between all of those teams compared to what would be the east/north. West Virginia and BYU would be the the only real program that has done really well. Also, BYU's distance from all of the other schools is ridiculous. The other problem is that you are sticking all 3 of your new markets in a division with the teams with the least draw in the conference. I don't see how you make inroads there.

#1072 Brando2101, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Why should UT or A&M, who have been managing this fund for 100+ years, be obligated to give away funds when they can just support their respective schools? Blame the state, not UT or A&M

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

UT-Houston, which still hasn't even the barest hint of a plan attached to it, is a separate pissing match in the making that probably ain't going to make a lick of difference in the Big XII expansion talks. That's going to be a fight over research dollars, not undergrads. I highly doubt either UT's Houston property or the PUF will be discussed at all by the parties driving expansion.

15. MystikArkitect

If there's legit interest from Pac 12 or ACC then UH isn't required to do anything. The fact that Tech came out already to support leads me to believe that there is interest elsewhere and the state is about to get poached from yet another league.

There's a reason Alabama owns the Houston eyeball market and it's because of the TAMU exposure.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

U are not thinking correctly. UH can use the Big 12 to set themselves up for the ACC, Pac 16, or Even the SEC.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That is not guaranteed by any means.

UH will find its seat at the table whenever the next round of realignment occurs. It has simply earned it.

It is not worth giving up a 100 year loss for a 10 year victory.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What is this all about? Why would UT-Houston detract from UH? Is UT-San Antonio crippling UT-Austin? Are UT-Dallas and UT-Arlington hurting other metroplex schools?

All this shows is UH's selfish hypocrisy - they incessantly trumpet their virtue of being located in "the fourth largest city in America", but then they try to block something good for the city, which would be another quality university. gtfo

19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

None of those examples work. It would be like A&M-Austin or UT-Waco.

20. Brando2101

agreed. A UT campus is good for Houston. A public university has no right to claim some kind of dominion over a city.