1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets move toward formal offer to Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, May 19, 2016.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

This guy is 65 years old!!!!!!

I did not know this...

2. craguin

craguin Member

look no further...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S New Member

I know he had his flaws, but the more we see, the more I think McHale was underrated for his coaching here, in the way he was able to handle the egos and get the players on the same page, until the kids lost their way. I'm sure I'm in the minority, and reruns never work, but if there was a coach who was a McHale clone, I'd much rather have him with a fresh start working with a now-humbled group, than to have D'Antoni doing his failed no-defense thing.

#224 Steve S, May 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  4. GMNot

GMNot Member

Oh, I pretty much agree. I'm just saying that is likely the "thinking."

5. bratna8

bratna8 Member

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Clint Capela will be good in his system. He's really good at rolling to the rim for lobs and offensive rebound pubacks.

This is going to be a big year for Clint. It's his 3rd season. This is were he should put it all together and make a very big jump. If he doesn't prove to be starter level this year than most likely he's just a solid backup center for the rest of his career.

Now the rest of the guys im not sure were they fit in. My guess is bev can still be a very solid player in a backup roll same with Harrell and possibly ariza. Even brewer might be better in MDA offense if they utilize him on the break and as a cutter. Not somone who take most of his shots at the corner 3.

Now that I think about it I would trade ariza as fast as I can he's just not very good anymore and won't be good at all in MDA offense. He can't dribble and isn't quick enough to come off screens and even if he could he's a horrible finisher. Honestly brewer is prob the better fit than him going foward. Might not be a bad thing because you can prob trade ariza a lot easier than brewer at the moment.

MDA won't be as bad as many are making it out to be and regardless what the perception is our defense was bad mostly because of TOs but more so because of how bad we were at getting back in transition. Our half court D wasn't really all that bad.

Now our offense was horrible we finished as the 7th rated offense because harden is so damn good he's automatically going to put points up for the team and make it a top 10 offense as long as he's healthy. But man we had way to many stretches were we didn't score for 5-6 min straight. If harden wasn't going 100mph on that end this team just could not get easy buckets. Way to many 12-15 point quarters for this team and that will change under MDA.

If dwight is gone, and judging by his new ESPN interview he's already left. We should have 40+ mil to sigh players. That's enough to sign a max guy or build a strong roster around harden. I think I'm leaving towards fielding a strong roster around harden and making a serious run at a max guy the following year when the cap increases again. That way you have a deep team and franchise player in harden and the need for just that second Allstar to step in and take this team from 1-2 round playoffs team to contender status. That's how we got dwight we need to do it again, this time picking the right guy to go captain with Harden.

1 person likes this.
  7. i3artow i3aller

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Honestly, those of you going into histrionics are almost certainly overreacting.

Pretty much all of the (non-assistant) candidates available come with significant, documented flaws.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

bbhollic said it too though! So it must have been true, despite what JVG himself said.

10. GMNot

GMNot Member

Could be a very prophetic picture.

11. basketballholic

1. You guys wanting Skiles as top defensive assistant must be crazy MMA fans.We'd need an Octagon on the practice floor to contain the blood from those two men trying to rip each other's eyes out. It would be more entertaining than Ryan/Gillbride circa 1993.

2. If I were Dwight I would opt-in for next season if we hire MDA just to screw the organization back as much as possible. I wouldn't let them clown me out like this. Then I'd make it impossible to trade me for value by being disruptive to the "system" as much as possible.

3. If I were Morey I'd be letting the back channels know I'm interested in other jobs. No way can Morey be effective with Les overriding so much.

4. Other than Cuban is there a more meddlesome owner than Les? I think Les meddles more than even MJ does.

5. If Les goes through with this MDA hire I'm going to be watching to see how the roster shapes up. If we start bringing in low-character guys like Nerlens Noel, Larry Sanders et al, then I'm going to give this team maybe 10 games into the regular season to see what the product looks like. If it is what I think it will be, I might just step away from the team myself. I'm not going to waste time following a team that is self destructive because ownership has proven to be incompetent. And that's very difficult for me to say.....or do. But im pretty sure I'll know very quickly how good or bad we're going to be next season. And after this past season debacle of epic proportions I may just sit on the sidelines and wait for an ownership change. If the owner is a boob, the team has no chance. I have been on Les' bandwagon up until this past season, constantly forgiving his overreach and excusing him as a rabid fan. I can't do it any longer if he hires MDA. Last season's dysfunctionality between Les, Morey, and Harden was all I could stomach. If it gets worse I'm pretty much done and will have lost any shred of my remaining waning confidence in Les.

#231 basketballholic, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

one word. Dolan.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Please don't fool yourself into thinking Morey would hold onto Dwight long enough for Mr. "Get....Better" to be disruptive. Some teams were already looking to acquire him if he opted in at the deadline....Milwaukee, maybe Charlotte.

Trade him for a 2nd rounder and Trade Exception (waive the exception if you must).

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Ha! Apparently you've forgotten about a team that was once called the Houston Oilers.

15. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Welcome to your 2016-2017 Houston Knicks. Harden is going to be very Melo next year. Wondering when Les will fire Morey to bring in Isiah Thomas.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Help me out here: What's the definition of insanity again?

17. flipmode

flipmode Member

MDA is a prybar to get dwight to opt out. lowers his agent's negotiating stance as other teams will know he's definitely not interested in staying in houston. when dwight's price drops, more teams will offer. when more teams offer, there's a better chance to place him elsewhere. we don't have to sign MDA, just float the hints... then when dwight signs elsewhere - boom - we bring in a more desirable coach.
    /conspiracyhat

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I think Harden is a dude that just wants to play basketball and doesn't care about who coaches him or who plays with him. He is nothing like Carmelo who is a spoil brat and wants the ball all the time and wants to be the only man for his team and is a head ache for his coach. Harden is nothing like Melo. And the reason he held the ball most of time was because Bickerstaff and Mchale GAVE him the ball 80% of the time and made so many damn ISO's plays with Harden. They were to blame for all this mess. Mike D'Antony is the opposite of Mchale and Bickerstaff and better. The only problem with D'Antoni is the Defense. He needs to get a really good assistant that can give great defensive philosophies to the team.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com