1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vote for the next Rockets Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thaGREATwall, May 5, 2016.

Tags:
?

Who do you want as the next Rockets Head Coach?

1. Jeff Van Gundy

245 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Frank Vogel

226 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. David Blatt

11 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Mike D'Antoni

10 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. Sam Cassell

23 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Kenny Smith

30 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. Chris Finch

6 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Bill Self

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. Saka Smart

16 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Other (Please list in post)

28 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Buying time for spurs to beat OKC so they can ask KD what coach he prefers if he comes per haps?

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]NBA coach matchmaker

Houston Rockets

Best-case scenario: Jeff Van Gundy. This is a team that should be looking to contend, and that's the one situation that might bring Van Gundy back from broadcasting. It makes sense. The Harden challenge is a real issue for whoever takes over in Houston—probably the most important issue—and Van Gundy is established enough to exert authority over a superstar like Harden, while also being smart enough to understand how important it is to foster a healthy relationship with him. Mike D'Antoni is another coach who could make sense, but he's a bigger gamble given some of his past weaknesses.

There's still a decent amount of talent in Houston, especially if they can upgrade from Trevor Ariza on the wing. What will be crucial is understanding how this worked two years ago. This team won with Harden on offense and some of the best defense in the league on the other side. Reclaiming that second part will be key, and Van Gundy's as qualified as anyone. If he and Daryl Morey can get on the same page, they should make this happen. ​– Andrew Sharp

Worst-case scenario: David Blatt. Hold on, I just need a minute to imagine David Blatt trying to sell James Harden on the virtues of flex cuts and the Princeton offense. ​– A.S.[/rquoter]

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The are worse cases than David Blatt - we could always hire Derek Fisher.

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

why hasnt an interview been scheduled or report it with JVG?? :(

6. GMNot

GMNot Member

What a nice respite I've had since McHale was fired. The few posts I made about how it wasn't the coaches fault were the last time I visited the forum. There really is life beyond BB... even Rocket BB (as a 35 year fan). It was wonderful to have so many hours freed from the drudgery of watching players who, seemingly, lost pretty much all of the chemistry from last season.

For some reason, this morning, I decided to see what was going on in Rocket land by looking at Chronicle articles. First I noticed an article where the NBA admitted 5 blown calls in the last Spurs-Thunder game. Then I noticed the article about Vogel being considered as the next head coach. That led me to the curiosity of what was going on here.

I did not vote for any of the listed candidates. For me, as indicated in the last posts I made early in the season, who is coach is not as important as most here think. By that I mean there are any number of "good" coaches who might fit the job. (And some are on the list here.) But until Les Alexander learns the lesson that having the coach's back from the get-go, over favoring "star" talent, is necessary for true success, it won't matter so much which BB "mind" and/or personality is finally selected to lead the Rockets players.

If I was to favor someone on this current poll list, I'd probably prefer JVG to have another shot. He has a good BB mind. But more than that he has the spirit and a passion that is endearing.

Remember when he got fined $100,000 for criticizing the officiating of Yao Ming? Go ahead. Put in the search terms "Jeff Van Gundy fined" to see some other instances. How many coaches have sacrificed to that extent for their players? You may not always agree with Van Gundy's analysis during broadcasts he covers, but most of the time he has good insight and isn't afraid to speak his mind or criticize what he sees as unfairness and inconsistencies in the game and how it's officiated.

I'll take a coach like that all day. I think he's old school in the same way that the McHale/Bird/Magic, etc., generation is. (On that count, I'd include Kenny Smith to be considered, along with Sam Cassell.) BUT, the owner has to let players know from day one, that the coach isn't going to get thrown under the bus on account of players not following the coach's system, giving it a chance. If players blatantly defy the coach by either not enacting plays, or not listening to criticism to see if it has merit, and not giving their best effort because they "disagree" with his philosophy, etc., he or they (said player or players) need to be told ahead of time by the owner that no player is beyond reproach or discipline -- or even being traded.

In the past some players in the league have been characterized as "cancers" in the locker room. Well, star players can be detrimental to team chemistry without being an out and out cancer. Disrespecting the coach is a bad idea for team chemistry and camaraderie.

Maybe being that kind of owner isn't the "norm." Maybe it's not considered kosher to be involved with the players. After all, that's what the coach and GM are supposed to be dealing with, right? Well, yes, and no. Unless the owner defines the boundaries not to be crossed by players, the whole environment can become nebulous and wishy-washy, where no one seems to know who is really in charge at any moment. It gives rise to instances where players feel they can ignore plays being called, etc.

So, Mr. Alexander, if you want to be a trend-setter in the ranks of ownership, consider giving your next coach this kind of support. I think had you done so with Kevin McHale, much of this last season could have been salvaged, instead of such a disjointed mess.

I think I've convinced myself in this short musing. Give me Van Gundy with the owner's FULL support and I'll gladly go along for that ride.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Most interesting to me is why the delay in picking a coach. One possible theory is they are waiting for the season to be over, especially for Durant and will allow him to choose whichever coach and other star he wishes to bring over with him to play with Harden.

8. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I wanna see Doug Collins or Avery Johnson coach this team.

I am intrigued by Cassell and Smart tho.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No just no

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Too much money. He isn't going anywhere.

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I think the top 2 candidates are JVG and Vogel. But:

• JVG is not going anywhere
    • Vogel is not yet ready to interview (from all reports he was taken aback by letting go. He was dedicated to Indi. He probably needed a few days to digest)

So meanwhile the Rockets are doing their due diligence and interviewing candidates that applied to the opening. At least I hope that is the case...

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Mike Brown, if i remember correctly

14. anchel

anchel Member

This (let's hope)

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

WOW people on this site really love JVG. I hope he comes with a hell of an offensive coordinator. Still JVG huge upgrade of what we'e had the pass 4 years.

16. rockets13champs

Jvg with mike dantoni!!!

17. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I want people to know that I voted for Chris Finch.

I've seen his sets and his philosophy is sound.

18. dwhite

dwhite Member

That sounds just like the Rockets....wait, wait, wait until we are finally turned down by Durant and all the good coaching candidates are hired elsewhere.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Will D'antoni do that? It would be interesting I guess, lol.

20. dwhite

dwhite Member

I'll repeat what I said in another thread, Only way we are getting JVG or Vogel is if they take Chris Finch on their staff to run the offense. Les and Morey do not want to mess with what they perceive is working.