1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 5, 2016.

1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

There's no such thing as a Carlos Gomez quality at bat. Even when the count gets to 3-0, I know the chances of a strikeout are still astronomically high.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, he pulls his head out so much he looks like a little leaguer swinging a bat. I've seen his head stay in literally one time all season and he stroked the pitch for a double.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Fields has actually looked pretty good this year . He's always been inconsistent , and you can usually spot whether or not his outing is going to be good based off the first batter .

When he is on he's devastating .

When he's bad he gives up home runs like no other . Some of that is prolly luck , but a lot of it could be related to the type of fastball he throws .

Fields is among the least of my worries in the pen , I don't expect him to be a 8th or 9th inning guy . He is a role player and is producing ok for what I expect him to do . What sane person expected him to be better than Greg / Harris / Giles . He is at best our 4th best reliever in terms of expectation so I'm not disappointed in him .

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's the point... he has close to zero upside and is highly replaceable with somebody from the minors.

You never know when or how you find your next Devenski (not to say that he's entrenched as a starter now... but finding him was clearly a plus). Regardless, the bullpen could use another option that has plus numbers against lefties.

1 person likes this.
  4. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The bullpen **** the bed for the most part tonight but did anyone really think the team had a chance to win with that starting lineup tonight? Altuve was the damn offense tonight and that's it.

5. Buck Turgidson

You don't watch much baseball, do you?

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He can't change these guys ?!??

Are you saying that players can never improve their approaches ?
    If not ... Then who instigates that change ? That's right the ****ing coaches .

I don't blame him for Correa , where did I ever say that ?

Do you think it's a coincidence Gomez looked great after being benched for a coupe of games ? It very well could be . But he was much more balanced at the plate . Tonight he is back to swinging for the fences .

Beyond just making decisions it's the coaches job to ****ing coach , to teach he players how to play , what adjustments to make . Sure not all of that falls on hinch directly . The batting coach and pitching coach need to be sweating bullets right now . But hinch is the head guy . He can influence the coaches underneath them and point them in the direction he wants them to .

It's 50/50 the players and the coach . For a sport as technical as baseball , the players don't " just play " they get a lot of input and then try to go execute . You can see execution isn't the only problem due to the approach .

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The lineup tonight was embarrassing.

8. RocketMania1991

So anyone notice a few plays tonight that White missed at first?

He dove over a ball that he probably should of got, cost us a run in the game.

Also had the issue with Giles fielding it.

His offense has really fallen apart, I think AJ Reed could be getting pressed into MLB action soon rather than later.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Hinch on Pettis: "Gary’s right virtually all the time, so I certainly can’t fault him for a play they had to make a 430-foot relay..."

10. Buck Turgidson

No, he cannot. Nobody can. Guys like Gomez/Gattis/Altuve are set in their ways, how they play the game is what got them there and you have no idea how stubborn they are.

I don't think you really understand what it is a pitching/hitting coach does. It's all feedback: "Try this; what do you think about this?; think about your hips; don't think at all; the rose goes in the front; look at this; see how they're pitching you? look for that next time; land your plant foot 1 inch more in that direction (not as easy as it sounds, try it when you walk down the street next time); candlesticks make a nice gift. It is 100% totally up to the player to take that info/advice to heart and make the commitment to work on and learn from it. These are not raw rookies and this is not Spring Training.

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Really? No wonder we are last

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Are you saying altuve is an uncoachable cancer ? To get to the majors you have to be pretty damn coach able otherwise your swing would have holes that prevent you from getting to AA . That's just a fact .

Lol I have no idea how stubborn they are ? Again let me ask are you their psychologists ? See them in the clubhouse ? Been a professional baseball player / manager ?

Players don't steal if you take the decision out of their hands . If you tell Gomez specifically don't steal , he isn't going to try and take the bag ( even if he thinks he can ) Hinch has the power to sit him ... No whether he is too much of a b**** to nut up and do it is another question .

This isn't bush league where players can wantonly disobey calls and ignore adjustments . Doing so means that their production falls off a cliff or they are benched or traded . The only time players don't face repercussions is when their coaches and front offices are too weak to command respect .

1 person likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

No, I mentioned Altuve in regards to his baserunning. You cannot coach that out of him. Same with Gomez. You also cannot coach Gomez or Gattis to be a different hitter at the plate, they've been around enough already to know, they've heard it all before, but there's an ingrained comfort level with what they've been doing their whole career and unless they're willing to consistently buy into it, changes will not be made. Old dogs and new tricks and such. And yes, they're stubborn as ****, read up on the psychology traits of professional athletes.

Also, this is not little league where there is a "steal/don't steal" sign on every pitch. It's a little more complex than that.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This was the play on the RBI single

How is Reed's defense?

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You just said you can't coach altuve how to base run ... But you can coach him other things ??? Why not baserunning ?? Jose no comprende ??

You are just spewing your opinion , no facts . Given that you haven't answered me about whether or not you are a psychologist or ever coached in mlb going to assume no on that one .

Relax , I'm only giving my opinion too . I just think mine is better . You have some decent points . A lot of athletes are stubborn . But they also see a correlation between taken advice and results . A good coaching staff can induce "buy in " from players .

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lmao! For that statement alone Luhnow should say "WTF? I' m sorry Hinch but I can't have an idiot for a manager, you're fired!" Just total BS being spread and bought by some.

17. Buck Turgidson

Craig Biggio was a Hall of Fame baseball player. For 20 years Craig Biggio would swing at just about every down and out slider from a RHP. Why didn't anyone "teach" him not to do that?

For Jose Altuve's entire MLB career, spanning various coaches and managers, he has made more outs on the basepaths than anyone else in Major League Baseball. Why hasn't someone taught him to do otherwise?

Why didn't someone make Morgan Ensberg swing at fastballs right down the middle of the plate?

Why didn't someone teach Tim Redding the mental aspects of pitching?

Why can't someone teach Alan Ashby to not be insufferable?

I am intrigued.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I am intrigued why you only quote and respond to one sentence of my post .

There is a difference between being able to teach pitch recognition and how to be less aggressive on the base paths.

In one case you can try to have 100's of sessions in batting practice recognizing sliders.

In the other case you can hire a 3rd base/ 1st base coach who tells guys " hey don't go... we need you to stay on base . "

But you already know this . I know this. The only thing I'm really intrigued by is why you are trolling .

1 person likes this.
  19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Gomez was hit, after that he has not been the same player, i don't believe we will have that All Star kind of player and we have what we have, a very poor hitter playing cf.

The truth is that Marisnick is a better player for us over Gomez, why? Cheaper, smarter, about the same kind of numbers with the bat, and better defensively, and like i said before, cheaper.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

Been saying it since day one, takes this org. a long time to figure **** out.